Ian asynchronous I2S and S/PDIF FIFO KIT group buy - Page 36 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th July 2012, 09:56 AM   #351
diyAudio Member

Default Bitrate shaping

Ian, I take the time now to post something I should have done long ago. I once was part of an R&D project for asynchronous transfer mode communication. The problem we faced was extreme burstiness of the sender (e.g. TV frames). One research fellow from London had the idea of bit rate shaping: by using two buckets with just a shallow bit depth he showed it was possible to accommodate for most burtiness such that the output was near to constant bit rate. Since that time large routers (I remember from Cisco) have a double buffer at the receiving side.
I know you have a big buffer to accommodate for fluctuations. However, it would be fun if this idea of two series buffers would help you.
I hope I'm not completely off track.
albert
Old 6th July 2012, 11:10 AM   #352
diyAudio Member

Hi Ian

Regarding Buffalo III adapter boards...

I'm not sure if You are planing to ship them already fully assembled with u.fl conectors and 2 x 10pin headers..as I can see at Your pictures.
I thing that for Buffalo II owners could be better to have just u.fl sockets and free access to confection pads on the other side of PCB.
Actually just clean PCB and not mounted u.fl conectors that would be OK with me.. There should be some "DIY-handmade" way to connect it to "ancient" BuffaloII ...
Well actually it seems to be perfect!!! for my Duall Mono I2S wiring set-up..

Best Regards
Rosendorfer
Old 6th July 2012, 05:03 PM   #353
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by triode_al View Post
Ian, I take the time now to post something I should have done long ago. I once was part of an R&D project for asynchronous transfer mode communication. The problem we faced was extreme burstiness of the sender (e.g. TV frames). One research fellow from London had the idea of bit rate shaping: by using two buckets with just a shallow bit depth he showed it was possible to accommodate for most burtiness such that the output was near to constant bit rate. Since that time large routers (I remember from Cisco) have a double buffer at the receiving side.
I know you have a big buffer to accommodate for fluctuations. However, it would be fun if this idea of two series buffers would help you.
I hope I'm not completely off track.
albert
Hi Albert,

Thank you for shareing you idea. It's an interesting method. I'm figuring out the multichannel FIFO now which will need more buffer memory. I'm interested in using smaller memory. Your idea might be help.

I appreciate your experience. Have a nice weekend.

Ian
Old 7th July 2012, 02:12 AM   #354
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosendorfer View Post
Hi Ian

Regarding Buffalo III adapter boards...

I'm not sure if You are planing to ship them already fully assembled with u.fl conectors and 2 x 10pin headers..as I can see at Your pictures.
I thing that for Buffalo II owners could be better to have just u.fl sockets and free access to confection pads on the other side of PCB.
Actually just clean PCB and not mounted u.fl conectors that would be OK with me.. There should be some "DIY-handmade" way to connect it to "ancient" BuffaloII ...
Well actually it seems to be perfect!!! for my Duall Mono I2S wiring set-up..

Best Regards
Rosendorfer
Soldering those U.FL sockets is not an easy job. I would be more than happy to supply the bare PCB only.

Ian
Old 7th July 2012, 02:34 AM   #355
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

I only need bare PCB, I need mix of u.fl and w.fl
Old 7th July 2012, 04:42 PM   #356
PET-240 is offline PET-240  Australia
diyAudio Member

I need soldering practice.......
Old 7th July 2012, 06:47 PM   #357
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

they really arent that hard, Ian is exaggerating it, or he is too used to having excellent tools or reflow =) w.fl are a bit harder (about 3-4x smaller again) but still totally doable
Old 7th July 2012, 10:36 PM   #358
diyAudio Member

So your place then?

;-) Thanks for the heads up!
Old 8th July 2012, 02:27 PM   #359
diyAudio Member

Hi guys

Im waiting for XMOS based converter from Lorien and have few questions regarding FIFO device.

1. Would it be still improvement to add FIFo to chain together with XMOS converter or converter should make its job alone with great results?

2. I use Spencer DAC now with I2S connection but I have plans for AD1865 DAC with SPDiF outputs only and receiver would be WM8804. Spencer uses CS8416 receiver. I assume in such case its better to use Ian SPDiF device for both DACs. Do I loose a lot in SPDiF connection vs I2S or its not that obvious when digital section is well implemented?

3. Is it worth buying dual XO board? What are benefits? Anyone tested?

I still search best solution from PC sound so if anyone tested mentioned above I would appreciate it

Thanks
Old 9th July 2012, 10:18 AM   #360
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibra View Post
Hi guys

Im waiting for XMOS based converter from Lorien and have few questions regarding FIFO device.

--------I have one of these.

1. Would it be still improvement to add FIFo to chain together with XMOS converter or converter should make its job alone with great results?

--------I have these on order, so when Ian is ready I will hope to be as well. I would use the WaveIO isolated outputs into the FIFO then to dac, one less conversion. I'm pretty sure Ian has allowed for your dac in upcoming firmware. Check previous posts for this info.

2. I use Spencer DAC now with I2S connection but I have plans for AD1865 DAC with SPDiF outputs only and receiver would be WM8804. Spencer uses CS8416 receiver. I assume in such case its better to use Ian SPDiF device for both DACs. Do I loose a lot in SPDiF connection vs I2S or its not that obvious when digital section is well implemented?

--------I2S requires impedance matching on the transmission lines to the dac, if not done correctly it will smear and affect the waveform with reflections, google Steve Nugent/empirical audio and you will learn much. if the i2s is done correctly you are much better off. There will be others here that know much more than me.

3. Is it worth buying dual XO board? What are benefits? Anyone tested?

--------Dual XO board allows for all sample rate multiples of 44.1 and 48kHz. If you listen to anything other than 44.1, you will need the Dual XO.

I still search best solution from PC sound so if anyone tested mentioned above I would appreciate it

--------I have the Wave on a Alix 2D2>waveIO>fifo(soon)>Buff III>tube I/v(soon). I run mpdpup on the Alix which is easy to install and tweaks are forthcoming, you can read up here.
Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: View topic - mpdPup - Simplified MPD Music Server/Jukebox - v0.9.2

Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!