Ian asynchronous I2S and S/PDIF FIFO KIT group buy - Page 19 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st April 2012, 08:34 AM   #181
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
@ roger57:

afaik adding a flip flop will not improve the accuracy, flip flops can be used to improve accuracy of incoming signals, but to do this they need to be clocked by the incoming signal or an external signal... they add jitter, although the good ones only add a very small amount.

all in all looking back I think its good for many interested only in redbook that this particular detail came up, because its true even though the info was there in the manual the full ramifications of something like this could easily be overlooked; even when reading the datasheet..... I would think it should be fairly straight forward to make the change in the firmware to allow the standard single clock board to be set at 512x FS rather than 256 on request; given the calls are obviously already in place for use with the dual XO board? as this may not be an uncommon request it may pay to have it as an option?

@ Ian: i'm clueless as to the time involved in that Ian, so i'm not taking your time for granted there
Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
qusp,

For sure, I will upgrade the FIFO verilog code to support an optional default 512*fs setting (256*Fs or 512*Fs jumper selectable), the single clock board user will gain from it by more flexible clock frequency choices. But if you attach the dual xo clock board to the fifo, that board will take over the *Fs control. So, no change to the dual clock board application.

That would be one of the nice improvements.

Thanks qusp, appreciate for all of those super clear answers.
that would be here, in the next posts after the one you quoted
Old 21st April 2012, 11:34 AM   #182
Rupor54 is offline Rupor54  Ukraine
diyAudio Member

Hi.I want buy I2S FIFO KIT 3 pcs. and dual XOclock 3pcs.Kind regards.Grigoriy
Old 21st April 2012, 12:15 PM   #183
regal is offline regal  United States
diyAudio Member

Qusp, of course we want your input.

Here is one man's opinion:

The single XO reclocker is a RBCD board. When I bought it and saw 256fs I thought great less jitter greater compatability. Then I saw the 3.3V XO and logic, well we can deal with that (thanks to Guido's XO) but ideally a rbcd reclocker would be 5V logic along with the fifo splitting data into L&R. Along with the Sony format this would satisfy not only the PMD10/SM5842 fans but also the 1541 and PCM56 NOSers. Remember for a TDA1541A builder, his only real low jitter "master clock at the dac" choice has been a SDtransport or a CDP.

With the dual XO board, the opportunity is there to plug right into a pair of PCM1704s with the right combo of fifo programming and glue logic on the reclocker. This would be a major achievement as mentioned earlier the only other PCM1704 DAC that allows 8x oversampling with a computer is the $5k Phasure, which is said to beat the unobtainable PM-2. And that doesn't rule out the precious ES9018, it just goes far above. There are a ton of folks "playing" with the PCM1704, this fifo project could be the tool casual hobbiests have been looking for.
Old 21st April 2012, 12:20 PM   #184
diyAudio Member

What I don't understand regal is what exactly your point is?

This is ian's project to pick and chose which features to implement and when to implement them. I seem to recall ian has a ess dac on the way so, with that in mind, what's the point again?
Old 21st April 2012, 12:29 PM   #185
ryanj is offline ryanj  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post

The single XO reclocker is a RBCD board. When I bought it and saw 256fs I thought great less jitter greater compatability. Then I saw the 3.3V XO and logic, well we can deal with that (thanks to Guido's XO) but ideally a rbcd reclocker would be 5V logic along with the fifo splitting data into L&R. Along with the Sony format this would satisfy not only the PMD10/SM5842 fans but also the 1541 and PCM56 NOSers. Remember for a TDA1541A builder, his only real low jitter "master clock at the dac" choice has been a SDtransport or a CDP.

With the dual XO board, the opportunity is there to plug right into a pair of PCM1704s with the right combo of fifo programming and glue logic on the reclocker. This would be a major achievement as mentioned earlier the only other PCM1704 DAC that allows 8x oversampling with a computer is the $5k Phasure, which is said to beat the unobtainable PM-2. And that doesn't rule out the precious ES9018, it just goes far above. There are a ton of folks "playing" with the PCM1704, this fifo project could be the tool casual hobbiests have been looking for.
Regal,

Have you implemented Ians FIFO re-clocking circuit with the 1541 yet? If so, how did you go? Are you using the Sen/Cen output stage yet?

Ryan
Old 21st April 2012, 12:34 PM   #186
diyAudio Member

Quote:
...moving to 512x is only going to increase jitter at the DAC conversion (no matter how good the clock choice)...
Just a side-note, the absolute value of the jitter (ps) is not relevant, only raported to the base frequency (as "dB" value if you want).
Old 21st April 2012, 12:56 PM   #187
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hochopeper View Post
Ian, what're the chances that a future batch could include more of the CCHD957 adapter PCB?
Good point, I'll try to supply enough this time. But it seems the adapter need to be universial to support kinds of popular smt footprint beside CCHD. I'll look into it.
Old 21st April 2012, 01:27 PM   #188
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Hi Regal,

I'm busy developing a daughter adapter board to interface FIFO with AD1865/62, PCM63, PCM1704/02 and many other DACs to make them working at NOS mode.
Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter #385 is tha new timing. Hope that works for you. Please let me know for any idea.

Nice weekend.
Old 21st April 2012, 01:28 PM   #189
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi guys,

Since more people want the FIFO KIT, I'm afraid I have to open the second run.

If more then 30 on the waiting list, I'll start to order 50 with 20 reserved. I'm trying to finish upgrading the KIT to support more input and output format. Upgrading will be only verilogHDL code related. Hardware keeps no change for sure. User's manuals will be upgraded either before getting ready for delivery.

Waiting list so far:

JamesHill 1*I2S FIFO KIT 1*Dual XO Clock board
chansiukwing
lordvader 1*I2S FIFO KIT 1*Dual XO Clock board
karvid 1*I2S FIFO KIT 1*Dual XO Clock board
Blitz 1*I2S FIFO KIT 1*Dual XO Clock board
daanve -I2S FIFO KIT -Dual XO Clock board -S/PDIF Interface Board
Turbon -I2S FIFO KIT -Dual XO Clock board -S/PDIF Interface Board
KlipschKid 1*I2S FIFO KIT 1*Dual XO Clock board
merlin2069er 1*I2S FIFO KIT 1*Dual XO Clock board
jsh1058 -I2S FIFO KIT -Dual XO Clock board -S/PDIF Interface Board
roger57 -1*I2S FIFO KIT 1*Dual XO Clock board
andrea_mori - 1 x I2S FIFO KIT - 1 x S/PDIF Interface Board (need support left-justified format for SM5842)
Ryan
jsh1058 1 I2S FIFO KIT, 1 Dual XO Clock board, 1 S/PDIF Interface Board

Please let me know if I miss anything.

Have a nice weekend.
thanks ian,
I'm pleased to wait for the upgraded FIFO board to feed SM5842 directly.

Scrolling the waiting list I see all people want Dual XO Clock board, so I realize I am the only one who plays 16 bit/44 khz only.
I'm the only one nostalgic for the PCM63....

Is there anybody?
Old 21st April 2012, 06:32 PM   #190
roger57 is offline roger57  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi guys,

Since more people want the FIFO KIT, I'm afraid I have to open the second run.

If more then 30 on the waiting list, I'll start to order 50 with 20 reserved. I'm trying to finish upgrading the KIT to support more input and output format. Upgrading will be only verilogHDL code related. Hardware keeps no change for sure. User's manuals will be upgraded either before getting ready for delivery.

Waiting list so far:

JamesHill 1*I2S FIFO KIT 1*Dual XO Clock board
chansiukwing
lordvader 1*I2S FIFO KIT 1*Dual XO Clock board
karvid 1*I2S FIFO KIT 1*Dual XO Clock board
Blitz 1*I2S FIFO KIT 1*Dual XO Clock board
daanve -I2S FIFO KIT -Dual XO Clock board -S/PDIF Interface Board
Turbon -I2S FIFO KIT -Dual XO Clock board -S/PDIF Interface Board
KlipschKid 1*I2S FIFO KIT 1*Dual XO Clock board
merlin2069er 1*I2S FIFO KIT 1*Dual XO Clock board
jsh1058 -I2S FIFO KIT -Dual XO Clock board -S/PDIF Interface Board
roger57 -1*I2S FIFO KIT 1*Dual XO Clock board
andrea_mori - 1 x I2S FIFO KIT - 1 x S/PDIF Interface Board (need support left-justified format for SM5842)
Ryan
jsh1058 1 I2S FIFO KIT, 1 Dual XO Clock board, 1 S/PDIF Interface Board

Please let me know if I miss anything.

Have a nice weekend.
Ian,

I sent a PM to you earlier in the week to update my order, perhaps you can check it? (changed to 1 Kit, and 2 extra 6" coaxial cables)

Thanks!
Gary

Hide this!Advertise here!