• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Ian asynchronous I2S and S/PDIF FIFO KIT group buy

HDMIpi List :
1. JoeyDD: transmitter x2, receiver x2
2. JimS: Transmitter x1, receiver X1
3. Big Bird: transmitter 1x
4. myint67 receiver 1
5. linh0983 transmitter x2
6. lindamar: transmitter x2, receiver x2
7. Lucser: transmitter x1
8. flyboi : transmitter x1, receiver x2
9. mksung: transmitter x2
10. pierantonio: transmitter x1, receiver x1
11. szczemirek: transmitter x1
12. Nano35: transmitter x1, receiver x1

Hi Ian .

I see pinout HDMI transmitte with Gustard's HDMI receiver different .

pic.jpg

Chinese brand DAC should not be bought from Germany? It will be expensive. You see, this Chinese brand DAC only sells 6980RMB (900EUR) on Taobao GUSTARD DAC-X26 ES9038PRO DSP PLL-

However, buying a Chinese DAC is not as good as buying a Twisted Pear DAC module, because the sound quality of Chinese brand is not ideal. Most of the Chinese DACs are just beautiful in data and not very good in sound. Because Chinese engineers don’t understand music, they don’t understand what sounds are good.

Last edited:
Chinese brand DAC should not be bought from Germany? It will be expensive. You see, this Chinese brand DAC only sells 6980RMB (900EUR) on Taobao GUSTARD DAC-X26 ES9038PRO DSP PLL-

However, buying a Chinese DAC is not as good as buying a Twisted Pear DAC module, because the sound quality of Chinese brand is not ideal. Most of the Chinese DACs are just beautiful in data and not very good in sound. Because Chinese engineers don’t understand music, they don’t understand what sounds are good.
Hi !

How do you know they don't understand music ? Should not be racist like that !

Hi !

How do you know they don't understand music ? Should not be racist like that !

I am Chinese, how can I not know what my environment is? I have bought a lot of Chinese brand audio devices or modules on Taobao, which always disappoints me. Probably only standardized products such as batteries can be purchased from China.

For example, Ian showed his own audition room generously, and I feel that Ian is a person who has extremely high requirements for sound quality. In contrast, I have never seen anyone who sells audio equipment on Taobao to provide the audition room photo, at most, only test data. Doesn't this mean that Chinese engineers pay more attention to data than to the actual listen?

I actually talked a lot with many Chinese engineers. No one will spend money to listen to live performances. They even feel that the sound at home is better using the device.

I am very reluctant to admit that in the world of audio, only Europeans or Americans may produce products of a good enough quality, mainly because engineers are too far away in music literacy.

Last edited:
@ofswitched,
The engineers learned how to design for measurement. Someone needs to train them in listening skills and point out that the western markets are not driven only by specs. If they want to sell more product, they will need to learn listening skills too. They don't have to go to live performances for that. They would benefit from tutoring or other training.

@ofswitched,
The engineers learned how to design for measurement. Someone needs to train them in listening skills and point out that the western markets are not driven only by specs. If they want to sell more product, they will need to learn listening skills too. They don't have to go to live performances for that. They would benefit from tutoring or other training.

In Taiwan, I have participated in a training class at Loudspeaker Placement. In the course, the teacher constantly emphasizes that you have to listen to the sound of the actual instrument on the concert hall, and you will learn the basis of the adjustment. After I actually heard a lot of live performances, I learned to listening skills and hear the sound level of the audio equipment faster. However, many engineers still only believe in the data measured by the instrument, and they don't take the time to actually listen to the comparison. They often mistakenly believe that the sound pressure boost is good, and the self-promotion has reached the western brand level. In fact, just because the sound pressure is increased, some details that are not easy to hear become more clear, but in fact the quality is just the same, for example, the sound of the instrument is still distorted.

@ofswitched,
The kind of listening you have described is not what I was thinking of. The engineers need to learn how to listen for IMD and noise floor modulation, not bass volume level verses midrange volume level or something like that (which changes due to fletcher-munsen effect). They will need to be trained how to ignore volume change effects. They also have to be taught self-blind testing to keep themselves calibrated. Someone who knows how to do that needs to do the training. Not the same as speaker placement at all.

EDIT: For some tips on how to get started:
Post by me on how to listen, it is #48 in this thread: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/dig...proving-ak4490-thd-figures-5.html#post5666915

Also, the preliminary part on cymbals is in post #3020 of another thread: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendor-s-bazaar/294940-fifo-buffer-rpi-sbcs-302.html#post5669890

Ian, my stack is currently, ssd, rpi, fifopi, ess dac and iv stage, I'd like to put it in a case 80mm high or less. This means splitting it into two vertical stacks. Could I get away with just using a gpio flex cable between rpi and fifopi? Then I'd be able to make a stack of ssd and rpi and another of fifopi, dac and iv stage, which would fit easily into an 80mm tall case.

Any disadvantages to using the gpio extender cable to link rpi and fifopi, it's only be about 120mm long?