Ian asynchronous I2S and S/PDIF FIFO KIT group buy - Page 16 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th April 2012, 08:38 PM   #151
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to merlin2069er
Hmm, I got a question. I've got a flea clock that I was going to use in another dac. I'm not sure what the clock frequency is, but can I get away with using just a single 12mhz clock?
Old 16th April 2012, 08:56 PM   #152
zinsula is offline zinsula  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Supports 44.1 KHz, 48 KHz, 88.2 KHz, 96 KHz using XOs with different frequencies, MCLK is fixed at 256*Fs. This is for the single clock board.

Dual clock is somewhat more flexible, but the clock has to be a multiple of 44.1 or 48kHz.

Albeit it is asynchronous, the clocks must be within reasonable tolerance from the input clock, so not to over- or underrun the FIFO. It's not an asynchronous sample rate converter!

So....no, 12MHz just doesn't do it.
Old 16th April 2012, 09:10 PM   #153
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbon View Post
Settle this now and let us have it! Just keep whatever clocks, power, and XMOS/MCU open for us to superceed if we shoulg feel the urge.

But then again we could just wirewrap to our choice... There will always be the next generation (even if their tast of music is very strange).

Brgds
i'm sorry, but I have no clue what you just said
Old 16th April 2012, 09:23 PM   #154
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinsula View Post
Supports 44.1 KHz, 48 KHz, 88.2 KHz, 96 KHz using XOs with different frequencies, MCLK is fixed at 256*Fs. This is for the single clock board.

Dual clock is somewhat more flexible, but the clock has to be a multiple of 44.1 or 48kHz.

Albeit it is asynchronous, the clocks must be within reasonable tolerance from the input clock, so not to over- or underrun the FIFO. It's not an asynchronous sample rate converter!

So....no, 12MHz just doesn't do it.
actually thats correct, from memory the clock that comes with the board is for 24x integers too, so if you are using CD material only, you will need to buy another clock anyway, because as I hinted, but zinsula stated, this is not a sample rate convertor, it will not do that, change the sample rate in the fifo and you change the speed of the audio. so while its asynchronous wrt the incoming clock tick, the speed is not altered, just realigned to a better clock

it makes sense that Ian left a couple of secrets for the dual XO upgrade board, but the standard single one will do just fine. didnt realize it was stuck on 256fs though, I read it but wasnt really paying much attention as i'm using the dual XO board, with a view to the Si570

so for 44.1 you'll have to get a suitable clock to get started
Old 16th April 2012, 11:30 PM   #155
roger57 is offline roger57  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post

the clock on the board is for testing, you should replace it with a clock of your choice; Ian could not hope to satisfy everyone with his choice of high end clock, so he left it for the builder to decide.
Hi,

Do you have the FIFO with the stock clock board? Can this style of XO be adapted to the PCB?
530PC11M2896DG Silicon Labs Standard Clock Oscillators

I know it's SMD, but other than going to Tent Labs which appears to have the module that will plug in, it's one of the only reasonable alternatives.

Thanks,
Gary
Old 16th April 2012, 11:45 PM   #156
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger57 View Post
Hi,

Do you have the FIFO with the stock clock board? Can this style of XO be adapted to the PCB?
530PC11M2896DG Silicon Labs Standard Clock Oscillators

I know it's SMD, but other than going to Tent Labs which appears to have the module that will plug in, it's one of the only reasonable alternatives.

Thanks,
Gary
no

best to RTFM, thats a DSPLL, not a normal clock and its 6 pin, not 4 pin. its a relative of the one Ian is working on for the next clock board (Si570), but its nowhere near a drop in replacement as its a completely different device called a DSPLL type clock. just buy the recommended crystek, its only 10 more than the one you linked

heres the 45.1584 crystek and here is the 22.5792

you'll need an adapter, but perhaps Ian can help you out. if not someone should really do a batch PCB fun for the adapter to suit

Last edited by qusp; 16th April 2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old 17th April 2012, 12:18 AM   #157
diyAudio Member

Quote:
no

best to RTFM, thats a DSPLL, not a normal clock and its 6 pin, not 4 pin. its a relative of the one Ian is working on for the next clock board (Si570), but its nowhere near a drop in replacement as its a completely different device called a DSPLL type clock. just buy the recommended crystek, its only 10 more than the one you linked

heres the 45.1584 crystek and here is the 22.5792

you'll need an adapter, but perhaps Ian can help you out. if not someone should really do a batch PCB fun for the adapter to suit
Could be a bit of an issue for someone who wants to get better performance with just the FIFO board if there's no higher performance 11.2896MHz crystal that's suitable electrically or physically. Or will the 22.5792MHz work on the single FIFO board to get 44.1KHz I2S ?

Last edited by roger57; 17th April 2012 at 12:20 AM. Reason: added
Old 17th April 2012, 01:22 AM   #158
diyAudio Member

both of them work for 44.1, even 90.14xx will work (notice all are multiples of 11.28xx). it depends on your dac. the fifo board will accept 128, 256 and 512x FS, but the single XO board will only output 256x FS unlike the more flexible dual.

but look, here I am doing your research for you, not even sure which dac you are planning to use it with and all of that was in the manual. it seems like we might have a problem here, in that you dont understand the manual, or how i2s works so reading it does not mean anything to you? thats cool, everyone has to learn sometime.

Ian and the thread can only do so much and I/we do want to help, but I know that I would rather help you help yourself; if you want to apply this in your dac, you should be making it your business to find out by understanding the (rather simple really if you take the time) way the sample rate, clock and i2s signals relate to each other and how that applies to your dac. otherwise IMO you have bitten off more than you can chew. its one thing to say I dont read the manual unless there is a problem (silly way to go about it anyway if you were serious) but if you then expect the thread to keep checking the details and regurgitating them for you..well... it gets old pretty quick
Old 17th April 2012, 01:36 AM   #159
diyAudio Member

Quote:
both of them work for 44.1, even 90.14xx will work (notice all are multiples of 11.28xx). it depends on your dac. the fifo board will accept 128, 256 and 512x FS, but the single XO board will only output 256x FS unlike the more flexible dual.

but look, here I am doing your research for you, not even sure which dac you are planning to use it with and all of that was in the manual. it seems like we might have a problem here, in that you dont understand the manual, or how i2s works so reading it does not mean anything to you? thats cool, everyone has to learn sometime.

Ian and the thread can only do so much and I/we do want to help, but I know that I would rather help you help yourself; if you want to apply this in your dac, you should be making it your business to find out by understanding the (rather simple really if you take the time) way the sample rate, clock and i2s signals relate to each other and how that applies to your dac. otherwise IMO you have bitten off more than you can chew. its one thing to say I dont read the manual unless there is a problem (silly way to go about it anyway if you were serious) but if you then expect the thread to keep checking the details and regurgitating them for you..well... it gets old pretty quick

Yeah....I read the manual. It's not clear, so that's the reason I'm asking. You don't have to respond....no problem.
Old 17th April 2012, 03:21 AM   #160
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger57 View Post
Yeah....I read the manual. It's not clear, so that's the reason I'm asking. You don't have to respond....no problem.
Hi Roger57,

Sorry for the late reply. qusp, zinsula did perfect answers. Thank you so much guys!

If you just want to stick with only one Fs, says 44.1Khz, then you just need the FIFO KIT which attached with the single clock board originally. Maybe I could try to upgrade the software to make it support another default X Fs setting, which might be 512*fs, in this case, you get chance to use the 22.5792MHz CCHD957( the RMS period jitter is less than 2ps) on the single clock board. I know it's very hard to find a really nice 11.2896MHz oscillator.

Again, FIFO makes good clock working, as well as the bad. So, finding out a really nice clock is a even more important job than the FIFO itself.

Have a good night.

Last edited by iancanada; 17th April 2012 at 03:27 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!