Ian asynchronous I2S and S/PDIF FIFO KIT group buy - Page 15 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th April 2012, 02:53 AM   #141
jsh1058 is offline jsh1058  South Korea
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I'd like the:

1 I2S FIFO KIT
1 Dual XO Clock board
1 S/PDIF Interface Board
Old 16th April 2012, 06:57 AM   #142
roger57 is offline roger57  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Count me in for:
1 - I2S FIFO Kit
1 - Dual XO Clock Board

Thanks!
Gary
Old 16th April 2012, 06:20 PM   #143
diyAudio Member

Default Is XO Board Needed For...?

Hi,

If I'm using a Teradak USB to I2S converter, would the XO board be needed, and why? It's all redbook audio (44.1Khz)

Thanks,
Gary
Old 16th April 2012, 06:54 PM   #144
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

if you will only be using singular clock multiples and dont need switching between 2, then no you dont need the dual XO board. i'm not aware of any significant improvements in the clock buffer, or PSU on the dual board, so unless Ian wants to correct me there I say nope, you dont need it.

However these will not be around forever and I consider this dual XO board to be a very well designed piece of kit for a good price that works perfectly with the fifo buffer, I would be tempted to get it just for possible future needs. that being said you could wait for the Si570 multispeed DSPLL clock board, provided it goes ahead, it didnt get a lot of interest that thread, I hope that doesnt mean its not going to happen, sometimes you just gotta spoon feed them Ian lol, if you build it they will come
Old 16th April 2012, 07:49 PM   #145
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
if you will only be using singular clock multiples and dont need switching between 2, then no you dont need the dual XO board. i'm not aware of any significant improvements in the clock buffer, or PSU on the dual board, so unless Ian wants to correct me there I say nope, you dont need it.

However these will not be around forever and I consider this dual XO board to be a very well designed piece of kit for a good price that works perfectly with the fifo buffer, I would be tempted to get it just for possible future needs. that being said you could wait for the Si570 multispeed DSPLL clock board, provided it goes ahead, it didnt get a lot of interest that thread, I hope that doesnt mean its not going to happen, sometimes you just gotta spoon feed them Ian lol, if you build it they will come
Ok, thanks for the info; since cash is low I'll go with the FIFO board this time and hopefully Ian forges ahead with his next gen project.
I was poking around he thread but didn't find anything related to this question - any idea what improvement in clock jitter (or what the maximum clock jitter is) with this FIFO board and the attached XO? I understand the Teradak is around 200ps, so do you think it's a magnitude better?

Thanks,
Gary
Old 16th April 2012, 07:56 PM   #146
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to merlin2069er
Yeah, I guess I don't need to be too concerned with the clock of my usb to i2s converter because it will be reclocked anyways by the fifo (and dual clocks).
Old 16th April 2012, 08:15 PM   #147
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin2069er View Post
Yeah, I guess I don't need to be too concerned with the clock of my usb to i2s converter because it will be reclocked anyways by the fifo (and dual clocks).
Sounds like the same as what I'm doing - so whether a person uses a Teradak USB to I2S, or the Twisted Pear USB to I2S, the FIFO board reclocks it. But that was my question - is the clock on the reclocker better? Less jitter? By how much? I guess that's the object of reclocking, but I'm just curious on the numbers.
Old 16th April 2012, 08:24 PM   #148
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

better than reclocked, the MCLK (provided thats the signal thats important for your dac) is thrown away and a new one generated in its place. this is much better than reclocking with clock recovery

sop to further that and explain why there are no numbers on jitter performance, since the incoming clock has literally NOTHING to do with the output clock jitter and the fifo buffer by itself doesnt really improve jitter a great deal, the improvement to be expected is directly related to the quality of clock you install. that; as has been explained in the manual, is the very crux of it. yes there is a high quality power supply and a local, large fifo buffer, proper terminated i2s lines, controlled impedance layout, well designed clock buffer etc. so everything is in place to get the most out of whatever clock you use, even the stock one, but as the MCLK is output from an isolated 'island', where it is buffered and then fed directly to your dac without going anywhere near the fifo, the phase noise/jitter of the clock is essentially the jitter/performance of the i2s output. the other lines are output from the fifo board too, clocked out with very low jitter flipflops controlled by that same MCLK

I hope that makes sense

the clock on the board is for testing, you should replace it with a clock of your choice; Ian could not hope to satisfy everyone with his choice of high end clock, so he left it for the builder to decide.

so in answer to your question, there is no answer to your question, it depends completely on the clock you use, i expect the numbers on the stock clock are not that amazing, you are supposed to replace it, like amps and such you buy with socketed cheap opamps, but otherwise very good quality parts

this is all covered in the manual afaik, so RTFM =)

Last edited by qusp; 16th April 2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old 16th April 2012, 09:02 PM   #149
Turbon is offline Turbon  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Settle this now and let us have it! Just keep whatever clocks, power, and XMOS/MCU open for us to superceed if we shoulg feel the urge.

But then again we could just wirewrap to our choice... There will always be the next generation (even if their tast of music is very strange).

Brgds

Last edited by Turbon; 16th April 2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 16th April 2012, 09:14 PM   #150
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
better than reclocked, the MCLK (provided thats the signal thats important for your dac) is thrown away and a new one generated in its place. this is much better than reclocking with clock recovery

sop to further that and explain why there are no numbers on jitter performance, since the incoming clock has literally NOTHING to do with the output clock jitter and the fifo buffer by itself doesnt really improve jitter a great deal, the improvement to be expected is directly related to the quality of clock you install. that; as has been explained in the manual, is the very crux of it. yes there is a high quality power supply and a local, large fifo buffer, proper terminated i2s lines, controlled impedance layout, well designed clock buffer etc. so everything is in place to get the most out of whatever clock you use, even the stock one, but as the MCLK is output from an isolated 'island', where it is buffered and then fed directly to your dac without going anywhere near the fifo, the phase noise/jitter of the clock is essentially the jitter/performance of the i2s output. the other lines are output from the fifo board too, clocked out with very low jitter flipflops controlled by that same MCLK

I hope that makes sense

the clock on the board is for testing, you should replace it with a clock of your choice; Ian could not hope to satisfy everyone with his choice of high end clock, so he left it for the builder to decide.

so in answer to your question, there is no answer to your question, it depends completely on the clock you use, i expect the numbers on the stock clock are not that amazing, you are supposed to replace it, like amps and such you buy with socketed cheap opamps, but otherwise very good quality parts

this is all covered in the manual afaik, so RTFM =)

Yes....makes sense. RTFM happens after the trouble begins

Hide this!Advertise here!