• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Ian asynchronous I2S and S/PDIF FIFO KIT group buy

Hi Ian,

I was in the GBII list but did not make the payment yet (I have been just outside of the country for business).

Do please let me know if I still can fulfill my payment and have everything sent. (my order contains only BuffIII adapters and some other connectors).

Best regards
Pepe

No problem Pepe. KITs were reserved for all registered GBII member. So thay are still available for you. Please go ahead with order form.

Thank you.

Ian

Hi Ian,
While I'm waiting to receive FIFO buffer, just a clarification using it with I2S input from CD-PRO2 and feeding SM5842/PCM63:
- jumper TP48 open, so MCLK is 256*fs, 11.2896 MHz
- jumper TP43 short to ground, left justified to feed SM5842
- jumpers TP41 and TP42 open, I2S 16/32 bit feeding from Philips CD-PRO2

Is that right?

It is correct.

A few questions:
- I'm building a low phase noise oscillator to use as external clock for FIFO buffer. Is 11.2896 the right frequency to synchronize I2S from CD-PRO2 with FIFO buffer and then SM5842?
- SM5842 system clock (XTI pin): it accept 256fs or 348fs, so I have to use 256fs directly external clock, right?
- SM5842 input bitclock (BCKI pin): need 64fs (2.8224) as the I2S signal clock, so I have to connect SCK of the I2S output cable from the FIFO buffer, right?

Correct.

- SM5842 data input (IW1L/DIL and IW2N/DIR pin): I think I have to configure input data as "LR alternating, leading data" with INF1N pin high and DI/INF2N pin low, so I can connect SD of the I2S output cable from the FIFO buffer to both L/R data input, right?
- SM5842 sample rate clock (LRCI pin): need fs clock, so I can connect WS of the I2S output cable from the FIFO buffer, right?
- no other connections from FIFO buffer to SM5842, right?

Shoudn't be problem but couldn't 100% confirm. If I were you, I'll do it by the other way, using the I2S-PCM daughter board which is under developing now.

Have a nice weekend.

Ian

Delivery status Aug 10, 2012

Shipped July28, 2012
#1,2,3,4,5

Shipped July30, 2012
#6,8,10,11,12,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,30,32,34,35,36,38,39,40,42,45,47,48,50

$10- already refunded to #42 for reduced shipping in an envelope

Shipped Aug1, 2012
#18,37,43,46
$14- already refunded to #46 for for posted as a letter

Shipped Aug3, 2012
#49, N4

Shipped Aug6, 2012
#N3, N5

Shipped Aug10, 2012
#15, N1

Ian

Shoudn't be problem but couldn't 100% confirm. If I were you, I'll do it by the other way, using the I2S-PCM daughter board which is under developing now.

Have a nice weekend.

Ian

Hi Ian,
thanks for reply.

In asynchronous mode I prefer to feed SM5842 directly from the output of the FIFO buffer, avoiding more logic, so I'll try to feed the digital filter as I said previous, and I will see if it work properly.

BTW I'm very interested on the I2S/PCM converter:
1st it will be useful to feed SM5842 if the above mode will not work
2nd I'm also developing a digital source, starting again from CD-PRO, to feed in synchronous mode directly by I2S signal, some old multibit DAC I own, like TDA1541, TDA1543, PCM56, PCM63 and AD1862. No problem with 1541 and 1543, they accept naturally I2S from the transport. Another story with EIAJ compliant device such as 56/63 and 1862. I could use some shift registers to do that, probably it will work fine with PCM56, since it's a 16 bit DAC. A little difficult with 63/1862, 20 bit DAC.
So, I have a few question about the daughter board:
- when do you estimate it will be ready?
- can I use it regardless of the FIFO buffer?
- since I take I2S signal directly from the transport, I'll re-clock it at the needed 8.4672 MHz. Does the I2S/PCM converter need an external clock or just it use I2S clock?
- in case of external clock, what can you tell me about the clock frequency?

Thanks again

Andrea

Very low phase noise oscillator

Hi all,
I would like to suggest a way about clock, since it will influence heavily the performance of the FIFO buffer and all other devices synchronized with it.

The Crystek CCHD-957 seems to be the better choise, BTW it's not a very low phase noise device. In the datasheet it shows -97dBc/Hz@10Hz, but a very low phase noise oscillator could be at leat -110 or better -120dBc/Hz@10Hz, or -85/90 dBc/Hz@1Hz.

So, if many folks were interested, and if it were possible to identify the optimal frequency useful for all, we can think to make a group buy to get a very low phase noise crystal, that's an SC-cut crystal, from Bliley, Croven or so. Then build a simple very low phase noise oscillator.
Not sure Bliley or other SC-cut crystal manufacturers will be interested on our request, but if we reach a decent number, we could try.

Let me now if anyone was interested.

Andrea

Hi all,
I would like to suggest a way about clock, since it will influence heavily the performance of the FIFO buffer and all other devices synchronized with it.

The Crystek CCHD-957 seems to be the better choise, BTW it's not a very low phase noise device. In the datasheet it shows -97dBc/Hz@10Hz, but a very low phase noise oscillator could be at leat -110 or better -120dBc/Hz@10Hz, or -85/90 dBc/Hz@1Hz.

So, if many folks were interested, and if it were possible to identify the optimal frequency useful for all, we can think to make a group buy to get a very low phase noise crystal, that's an SC-cut crystal, from Bliley, Croven or so. Then build a simple very low phase noise oscillator.
Not sure Bliley or other SC-cut crystal manufacturers will be interested on our request, but if we reach a decent number, we could try.

Andrea

That's a good idea. If you could address the SC-cut oscillators, I'd be very glad to join.

Have a nice weekend.

Ian

Hi Ian,
thanks for reply.

In asynchronous mode I prefer to feed SM5842 directly from the output of the FIFO buffer, avoiding more logic, so I'll try to feed the digital filter as I said previous, and I will see if it work properly.

BTW I'm very interested on the I2S/PCM converter:
1st it will be useful to feed SM5842 if the above mode will not work
2nd I'm also developing a digital source, starting again from CD-PRO, to feed in synchronous mode directly by I2S signal, some old multibit DAC I own, like TDA1541, TDA1543, PCM56, PCM63 and AD1862. No problem with 1541 and 1543, they accept naturally I2S from the transport. Another story with EIAJ compliant device such as 56/63 and 1862. I could use some shift registers to do that, probably it will work fine with PCM56, since it's a 16 bit DAC. A little difficult with 63/1862, 20 bit DAC.
So, I have a few question about the daughter board:
- when do you estimate it will be ready?
- can I use it regardless of the FIFO buffer?
- since I take I2S signal directly from the transport, I'll re-clock it at the needed 8.4672 MHz. Does the I2S/PCM converter need an external clock or just it use I2S clock?
- in case of external clock, what can you tell me about the clock frequency?

Thanks again

Andrea

The I2S to PCM daughter board

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...imate-weapon-fight-jitter-81.html#post3108875

It's designed specially for AD1865,AD1862,PCM63,PCM1704,PCM1702,TAD1541...

You can find more stories from previose post. But the thread will take you some time :). It's too long.

Ian

Greetings Ian,

I succeeded in feeding the tda1545a dac chip with your board. I used one of the single ended i2s connectors. works flawlessly being fed from the optical 96khz output from my asus MB. I had to changed the clock on the single clock board with a vanguard 24.xx. Big improvement from what I had before. My next test will be the buf3 setup.

I highly recommend the board for anybody's toolkit. It is fantastically dynamic and easy to use. It gives me many choices for both input and output options. All boards are high quality. I will ultimately try the backdoor on the spdif board with a musiland 32bit usb connection.

I am getting ready to order the extra buf3 adapter kits. would it be possible to order extra 8" single-ended PH 2.0mm 7-pin I2S cables?

Also, is an extra cable for the backdoor available?

Lastly, put me down for another fifo board for the next group buy.

kind regards.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Low Phase clock

Hi all,

Andrea

Hi, Andrea

I'm seriously interested.

Please let me know.

hirez69

iously

Hi Ian,

#11 juast arrived. Thanks.
When do you think you will be ready for the i2S/PCM converter group buy?

hirez69,
if other folks (many I mean) would interested in, I could ask Bliley for an SC-cut crystal. So, I ask all member in this thread (and all in the forum) to post their interest, indicating the frequency.

Andrea

Hi Ian,

#11 juast arrived. Thanks.
When do you think you will be ready for the i2S/PCM converter group buy?

hirez69,
if other folks (many I mean) would interested in, I could ask Bliley for an SC-cut crystal. So, I ask all member in this thread (and all in the forum) to post their interest, indicating the frequency.

Andrea

Sounds good Andrea. I'm waiting for your good news.

I almost finish the fpga design of the i2s to pcm daughter board. I'll do some test the evaluation the next. If more then 30 people want it, I can set up a GB. But I'm not sure if there are enough NOS guys.

Regards,

Ian