• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Ian asynchronous I2S and S/PDIF FIFO KIT group buy

@Ian, FifoPi's 16bit PCM I2S into 32bit feature does not work. No matter if I set the second setting of Jumper S1 to OFF or ON, I also need to enable Resampling in Volumio to play music normally. I use FioPi to connect to McFIFO with McDualXO and finally to BUFFALO-IIISE PRO.

Can this problem be solved? I spend money on FifoPi for 16bit into 32bit feature. If there is no way to solve, FifoPi becomes redundant for me. :(

@Ian, FifoPi's 16bit PCM I2S into 32bit feature does not work. No matter if I set the second setting of Jumper S1 to OFF or ON, I also need to enable Resampling in Volumio to play music normally. I use FioPi to connect to McFIFO with McDualXO and finally to BUFFALO-IIISE PRO.

Can this problem be solved? I spend money on FifoPi for 16bit into 32bit feature. If there is no way to solve, FifoPi becomes redundant for me. :(

I have BIIISE, I don't have problem with 16 to 32bit convertor.

Please plug my ESS controller into the isolated GPIO on FifoPi, enable the analyzer mode. Let me know what's the real format it monitoring.

LifePO4PowerSupplyIntegration by Ian, on Flickr

Regards,
Ian

Do you mean 5V reg output the 5V DC output of LifePO4? If so, it's a non-isolated out put, please don't connect it to any battery rail.

Regards,
Ian

I meant:

Instead of letting a switching PSU and a prereg feeding the final 5V reg on its inpit side: Why not seek for am opportunity to power that reg (which is high quality, but its raw supply is not) with a 6.6V battery input ?

To do so, ot might be necessary to solder a small cable to the reg input somewhere on the pcb and maybe de-activate the prereg...

Reason for that: I got a Soekris DAC 1941 as well and it wants 5V. not 3.3 or 6.6...only 5V.

I meant:

Instead of letting a switching PSU and a prereg feeding the final 5V reg on its inpit side: Why not seek for am opportunity to power that reg (which is high quality, but its raw supply is not) with a 6.6V battery input ?

To do so, ot might be necessary to solder a small cable to the reg input somewhere on the pcb and maybe de-activate the prereg...

Reason for that: I got a Soekris DAC 1941 as well and it wants 5V. not 3.3 or 6.6...only 5V.

Hi Blitz,

The 5V DC was designed for no-isolated digital sections such as streamer, Fifo before isolator, Raspberry Pi or so on. Though it's low noise LT3042 reg, but still not as good as battery power.

All battery rails are pure, that means the voltage will be times of 3.3V. That's the design idea of battery supply. You can add a 5V reg externally after the 6.6V battery rail, that's no problem.

Good weekend.
Ian

@ofswitched

Me too use Volumio.

Please let me know the monitored format numbers from ESS controller screen.

Regards,
Ian

I didn't buy an ESS controller. Can I see the format numbers in other similar devices?

The problem is about the version of pi?

I think it shouldn't be a problem with the player, because Spotify can't play normally, and Spotify doesn't use MPD, so even if I set resampler in mpd.conf, Spotify can't play music normally.

Last edited:
First of all a big thank you to Ian! Order received, everything just as ordered. After a lot of fun and being very carefull I got it all up and running. First impression of soundquality is positive.

Only one thing got the best of my patience... trying to solder those seven tiny little tiny parts to the botom of the CCHD957 XO adapter. How on earth will I ever get this done?! Looks to me that only a heated needle and a extreme steady hand can fix this. Does anyone have a few tips?

First of all a big thank you to Ian! Order received, everything just as ordered. After a lot of fun and being very carefull I got it all up and running. First impression of soundquality is positive.

Only one thing got the best of my patience... trying to solder those seven tiny little tiny parts to the botom of the CCHD957 XO adapter. How on earth will I ever get this done?! Looks to me that only a heated needle and a extreme steady hand can fix this. Does anyone have a few tips?

The easy way is to use a pair of soldering tweezers. I used this one: FM2023-05 Mini Hot Tweezer

Lacking that perhaps two fine-tip soldering irons might work as well. First put some solder onto the pads on the circuit board, apply flux (very important), put the tiny capacitor into position, then heat both sides simultaneously.

For solder, best to use a low melting point ones like those containing Pb (I use WBT leaded-solder, a joy to use compared to Pb-free solder).

For soldering simple smd components (resistors, capacitors, etc) all you need is an ordinary soldering iron and (in some cases) some means of magnification.

All you need to do is follow these simple steps:

1) Tin one of the pads on the pcb.
2) Apply soldering flux to both the tinned and the other pad on the pcb.
3) Place component on pcb and use iron to melt the solder on the tinned pad. Use tweezers to hold the component in place. Press lightly on the component while the solder is melted so as to make sure that the component is flush with the pcb.
4) Use soldering iron to solder the other side of the component.
5) Clean flux.

De-soldering the part is trickier. You'll need either a hot air rework station or two soldering irons (or the hot tweezers that were mentioned).

The small parts can be soldered with a solder station and using a small solder iron tip. Also, helps to have some 0.3mm diameter 63/37 leaded solder. High quality solder wick can be useful at times as well. The parts can be soldered one end at a time. There are multiple youtube videos showing how to do it.

@Ian, I didn't buy an ESS controller. Can I see the format numbers in other similar devices?

I think it shouldn't be a problem with the player, because Spotify can't play normally, and Spotify doesn't use MPD, so even if I set resampler in mpd.conf, Spotify can't play music normally.

@Ian, I didn't buy an ESS controller. Can I see the format numbers in other similar devices?

Hi ofswitched,

My ESS controller has a digital audio signal analyzer\monitor function. It's the only way so for you can measure real format by just plugging in without needing special equipment . It's not expensive (just $39). Without it there is no way to know if RPi output is correct or not.

My system is exactly as same as yours, RPi + FifoPi, followed by McFifo/McDualXO + BIIISE. I don't have any problem with 16 to 32 convertor function.

I would suggest you installing a fresh Volumio to make sure everything is correct first. Or you will need some thing to debug.

Regards,
Ian

@Ian, The main problem is that FifoPi's 16bit PCM I2S into 32bit feature does not work. I only need to a hardware layer of 16bit into 32bit feature, which will solve the problem I am facing now. However, it does not work! ESS controller should not be able to see the reason?

No matter if I set the second setting of Jumper S1 to OFF or ON, I also need to enable Resampling in Volumio to play music normally. This shows that the hardware layer of 16bit into 32bit feature does not exist at all?

Last edited: