• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Ian asynchronous I2S and S/PDIF FIFO KIT group buy

@ roger57:

afaik adding a flip flop will not improve the accuracy, flip flops can be used to improve accuracy of incoming signals, but to do this they need to be clocked by the incoming signal or an external signal... they add jitter, although the good ones only add a very small amount.

all in all looking back I think its good for many interested only in redbook that this particular detail came up, because its true even though the info was there in the manual the full ramifications of something like this could easily be overlooked; even when reading the datasheet..... I would think it should be fairly straight forward to make the change in the firmware to allow the standard single clock board to be set at 512x FS rather than 256 on request; given the calls are obviously already in place for use with the dual XO board? as this may not be an uncommon request it may pay to have it as an option?

@ Ian: i'm clueless as to the time involved in that Ian, so i'm not taking your time for granted there

qusp,

For sure, I will upgrade the FIFO verilog code to support an optional default 512*fs setting (256*Fs or 512*Fs jumper selectable), the single clock board user will gain from it by more flexible clock frequency choices. But if you attach the dual xo clock board to the fifo, that board will take over the *Fs control. So, no change to the dual clock board application.

That would be one of the nice improvements.

Thanks qusp, appreciate for all of those super clear answers.

that would be here, in the next posts after the one you quoted

Qusp, of course we want your input.

Here is one man's opinion:

The single XO reclocker is a RBCD board. When I bought it and saw 256fs I thought great less jitter greater compatability. Then I saw the 3.3V XO and logic, well we can deal with that (thanks to Guido's XO) but ideally a rbcd reclocker would be 5V logic along with the fifo splitting data into L&R. Along with the Sony format this would satisfy not only the PMD10/SM5842 fans but also the 1541 and PCM56 NOSers. Remember for a TDA1541A builder, his only real low jitter "master clock at the dac" choice has been a SDtransport or a CDP.

With the dual XO board, the opportunity is there to plug right into a pair of PCM1704s with the right combo of fifo programming and glue logic on the reclocker. This would be a major achievement as mentioned earlier the only other PCM1704 DAC that allows 8x oversampling with a computer is the $5k Phasure, which is said to beat the unobtainable PM-2. And that doesn't rule out the precious ES9018, it just goes far above. There are a ton of folks "playing" with the PCM1704, this fifo project could be the tool casual hobbiests have been looking for.

The single XO reclocker is a RBCD board. When I bought it and saw 256fs I thought great less jitter greater compatability. Then I saw the 3.3V XO and logic, well we can deal with that (thanks to Guido's XO) but ideally a rbcd reclocker would be 5V logic along with the fifo splitting data into L&R. Along with the Sony format this would satisfy not only the PMD10/SM5842 fans but also the 1541 and PCM56 NOSers. Remember for a TDA1541A builder, his only real low jitter "master clock at the dac" choice has been a SDtransport or a CDP.

With the dual XO board, the opportunity is there to plug right into a pair of PCM1704s with the right combo of fifo programming and glue logic on the reclocker. This would be a major achievement as mentioned earlier the only other PCM1704 DAC that allows 8x oversampling with a computer is the $5k Phasure, which is said to beat the unobtainable PM-2. And that doesn't rule out the precious ES9018, it just goes far above. There are a ton of folks "playing" with the PCM1704, this fifo project could be the tool casual hobbiests have been looking for.

Regal,

Have you implemented Ians FIFO re-clocking circuit with the 1541 yet? If so, how did you go? Are you using the Sen/Cen output stage yet?

Ryan

Hi Regal,

I'm busy developing a daughter adapter board to interface FIFO with AD1865/62, PCM63, PCM1704/02 and many other DACs to make them working at NOS mode.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...-project-ultimate-weapon-fight-jitter-39.html #385 is tha new timing. Hope that works for you. Please let me know for any idea.

Nice weekend.

Hi guys,

Since more people want the FIFO KIT, I'm afraid I have to open the second run.

If more then 30 on the waiting list, I'll start to order 50 with 20 reserved. I'm trying to finish upgrading the KIT to support more input and output format. Upgrading will be only verilogHDL code related. Hardware keeps no change for sure. User's manuals will be upgraded either before getting ready for delivery.

Waiting list so far:

JamesHill 1*I2S FIFO KIT 1*Dual XO Clock board
chansiukwing
lordvader 1*I2S FIFO KIT 1*Dual XO Clock board
karvid 1*I2S FIFO KIT 1*Dual XO Clock board
Blitz 1*I2S FIFO KIT 1*Dual XO Clock board
daanve -I2S FIFO KIT -Dual XO Clock board -S/PDIF Interface Board
Turbon -I2S FIFO KIT -Dual XO Clock board -S/PDIF Interface Board
KlipschKid 1*I2S FIFO KIT 1*Dual XO Clock board
merlin2069er 1*I2S FIFO KIT 1*Dual XO Clock board
jsh1058 -I2S FIFO KIT -Dual XO Clock board -S/PDIF Interface Board
roger57 -1*I2S FIFO KIT 1*Dual XO Clock board
andrea_mori - 1 x I2S FIFO KIT - 1 x S/PDIF Interface Board (need support left-justified format for SM5842)
Ryan
jsh1058 1 I2S FIFO KIT, 1 Dual XO Clock board, 1 S/PDIF Interface Board

Please let me know if I miss anything.

Have a nice weekend.

thanks ian,
I'm pleased to wait for the upgraded FIFO board to feed SM5842 directly.

Scrolling the waiting list I see all people want Dual XO Clock board, so I realize I am the only one who plays 16 bit/44 khz only.
I'm the only one nostalgic for the PCM63....

Is there anybody?

Hi guys,

If more then 30 on the waiting list, I'll start to order 50 with 20 reserved. I'm trying to finish upgrading the KIT to support more input and output format. Upgrading will be only verilogHDL code related. Hardware keeps no change for sure. User's manuals will be upgraded either before getting ready for delivery.

Waiting list so far:

JamesHill 1*I2S FIFO KIT 1*Dual XO Clock board
chansiukwing
lordvader 1*I2S FIFO KIT 1*Dual XO Clock board
karvid 1*I2S FIFO KIT 1*Dual XO Clock board
Blitz 1*I2S FIFO KIT 1*Dual XO Clock board
daanve -I2S FIFO KIT -Dual XO Clock board -S/PDIF Interface Board
Turbon -I2S FIFO KIT -Dual XO Clock board -S/PDIF Interface Board
KlipschKid 1*I2S FIFO KIT 1*Dual XO Clock board
merlin2069er 1*I2S FIFO KIT 1*Dual XO Clock board
jsh1058 -I2S FIFO KIT -Dual XO Clock board -S/PDIF Interface Board
roger57 -1*I2S FIFO KIT 1*Dual XO Clock board
andrea_mori - 1 x I2S FIFO KIT - 1 x S/PDIF Interface Board (need support left-justified format for SM5842)
Ryan
jsh1058 1 I2S FIFO KIT, 1 Dual XO Clock board, 1 S/PDIF Interface Board

Have a nice weekend.

Ian,

I sent a PM to you earlier in the week to update my order, perhaps you can check it? (changed to 1 Kit, and 2 extra 6" coaxial cables)

Thanks!
Gary

thanks ian,

Scrolling the waiting list I see all people want Dual XO Clock board, so I realize I am the only one who plays 16 bit/44 khz only.

Is there anybody?

Andrea,

I too have a 16bit/44.1 application with the TDA1541A. Hoping that Ian can do the code change to support using the 512fs to take advantage of the CCDH957 oscillator.

Gary

Hi Regal,

I'm busy developing a daughter adapter board to interface FIFO with AD1865/62, PCM63, PCM1704/02 and many other DACs to make them working at NOS mode.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...-project-ultimate-weapon-fight-jitter-39.html #385 is tha new timing. Hope that works for you. Please let me know for any idea.

Nice weekend.

This is incredible, groundbreaking imho, will you be able to split the L/R data ?

thanks ian,

Is there anybody?

The SM5842 and its evil twin brother the PMD100 are still considered the best means to oversample by many, you aren't alone (I have the single xo board, waiting on the next round of salas regs before I can put it to good use.).

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Waiting list so far:

Have a nice weekend.

Hi Ian,

Please put me on the list with 1 I2S FIFO KIT, 1 Dual XO Clock board, 1 S/PDIF Interface Board

Thank you,
Mihai

Ian, I wold suggest including a slightly larger size rubber o-ring in the kits, I havent seen anyone else using them, but not only did I snap a couple installing them, but i've had 3 of them snap now, 2 happened fairly soon after installing them, but i've just had a 3rd happen after being fine overnight. its potentially dangerous, as I only noticed after close inspection that the band had snapped and the inertia from this moved the assembly so that one of the metal standoffs was placed in the middle of one of my ackodac's voltage regulators, had it been on, this would have caused a catastrophic failure.

the fifo/clock assembly was placed straddling this regulator on 20mm standoffs but with plenty of clearance, so it didnt move it just a little bit. the problem is that now ive taken it out of the frame I dont have any other way to mount it, so any suggestions are welcome, perhaps I will use string temporarily, dental rubber bands might do the trick.

i'm posting here just so that people are aware of this potential issue, as I said I havent seen anyone else using them yet

I believe qusp meant he hasn't seen anyone else with Ian's kit use them. Most pictures I've seen show the board still attached to the main pcb.

correct thats what I meant, I havent seen anyone else from the GB use them with the fifo, i've only seen it still in the frame, but I thought I should post the warning, because it has the potential to be a real bummer if the dac is on at the time.

of course there has been all sorts of mad attempts to isolate from vibrations, this one probably does make a difference, its sometimes used for isolating clocks in instrumentation too.

I snapped 3 O-rings just trying to gently stretch them to fit over the pegs. I gave up after that. The dental band idea seems good, or something more deformable...I was hoping to find silicone bands somewhere but haven't yet had the chance to look.
More important to me are the little SMD boards to mount the eg CCHD XOs. Any chance they're going to be available?

Ian, I wold suggest including a slightly larger size rubber o-ring in the kits, I havent seen anyone else using them, but not only did I snap a couple installing them, but i've had 3 of them snap now, 2 happened fairly soon after installing them, but i've just had a 3rd happen after being fine overnight. its potentially dangerous, as I only noticed after close inspection that the band had snapped and the inertia from this moved the assembly so that one of the metal standoffs was placed in the middle of one of my ackodac's voltage regulators, had it been on, this would have caused a catastrophic failure.

the fifo/clock assembly was placed straddling this regulator on 20mm standoffs but with plenty of clearance, so it didnt move it just a little bit. the problem is that now ive taken it out of the frame I dont have any other way to mount it, so any suggestions are welcome, perhaps I will use string temporarily, dental rubber bands might do the trick.

i'm posting here just so that people are aware of this potential issue, as I said I havent seen anyone else using them yet

I noticed the O-ring problem. Just let me figure it out. I'll give some solution tomorrow.