Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th March 2012, 10:59 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Good news: I finished the kit.

Bad news: No sound in left cannel. Too tired to work on it now.
Old 17th March 2012, 09:56 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

@gumleguf - sorry you've had a problem with your kit build, never a good idea to work on electronics assembly when tired, that's the way silly mistakes, like putting components in the wrong way round, happen. I hope that you can sort it out once you've had a rest.

Did you follow the testing instructions before fitting the chips? Did you cut the socket pin as recommended? Have you thoroughly checked the board for bridged connections?

If not, remove all 4 ICs and follow the testing instructions from the beginning. Other than that, there's lots of faultfinding info on the main project thread, you aren't the first to have a problem. Good luck in getting it sorted soon.
Old 17th March 2012, 03:14 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

No problem. I'll look more into it when time permits.

Didn't follow the testing instructions, no. It's the first time I have problems with a kit. I took a chance and powered it on, but something is definitely not correct. I'll go backwards and run the tests as described by NWAVGUY, look for bridged connections, etc.

Update will follow later on...
Old 18th March 2012, 10:46 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Well, following the instructions seemed to do the trick:

Quote:
Trimming J2 – The outermost pin of the input jack, J2, needs to be clipped very close to the board so it won’t touch the “screw rail” in the B2-080 case. Don’t put a lot of solder on the pin as it needs to end up nearly flush to the board. Failure to clip this lead correctly may connect one input channel to the case leading to noise problems or one channel not working. When you slide the board into the case check for any contact with the board in a worst case position in the slot.
That was an easy fix.

I'm using the default gain setting of 2.5X and 6X. It's not playing very loud even with sensitive IEM's. It's not much loader than my iPod would normally be capable of.

Using it with my Beyerdynamic DT770 600 ohm headphones is hopeless. Not enough power/volume at all, but that's ok. It's not why I built the O2.
Old 18th March 2012, 05:25 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
That was an easy fix.
Good news - and a good reason to read the assembly instructions before starting the build....

Quote:
I'm using the default gain setting of 2.5X and 6X. It's not playing very loud
Since you have the full set of gain resistors, you have all you need to boost the gain - all the necessary detail is in Nwavguy's blog. IIRC, the gain can go to at least 10x.
The other thing to look at is the level of the source, obviously the greater the input level, the higher the output. The O2 seems capable of accepting quite a high input level before clipping, and turning up the source level is the easiest way to push up the overall gain.
Anyhow, glad to hear you got it working OK!
Old 18th March 2012, 06:00 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

I know, but there is just so much info on the O2 kit and it seems to be spread out on so many different web sites and forums. But, no excuse for not reading through nwavguy's detailed instructions obviously.

I'm using the same iPod for input right now. Will switch to my RockBox'ed Sansa Clipx tomorrow at work and use my newly purchased Create AURVANA Live! headphones. They are pretty amazing considering the price.
Old 21st March 2012, 09:22 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Update - 2 kits available for immediate shipping
Old 21st March 2012, 01:17 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

greenalien, hope it's okay I show off a few pics of the kit and amp? It might inspire other people (to do better!! ):

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 21st March 2012, 03:10 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

@gumleguf - looks very nice - although I should point out that the front panel isn't from my kit!

How are you finding the Creative headphones?

Update - last 2 complete kits are reserved pending payment.

The remaining 2 kits are awaiting cases, looks like the cases will be delayed for a while, so if you're interested in getting a kit now, either with no case or to have the case sent on when it arrives, PM me.

Last edited by greenalien; 21st March 2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 21st March 2012, 03:37 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Correct, yes, sorry. Front panel is *NOT* from greenalien's kit.

Those headphones are excellent for the price! Perfect for a cheap office setup. I paid around 45 EURO for the Clip+ and also 45 EURO for the headphones. Here is a review of the headphones: Creative Aurvana Live! A Classic Reincarnate | InnerFidelity

Apparently they are the same as the old Denon AH-D1001, only a little bit better.

Hide this!Advertise here!