• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB for Salas SSHV2 regulator

Any interest in kit builders telling us what CAPS they are using?

I keep dithering over what to use.

There is the space issue though this is not insurmountable.

I initially got some 10uF oil/polypropylene ASC cans to try initially. I am intrigued by the OBBLIGATOs due to their low cost and generally good comments made about them.

The 0.33 uF are easier to deal with since there are lots of good choices out there and the size makes them affordable.

Has anyone commented on which cap position affects sonics the most?

Ironically, I am not obsessing over the resistors. Using the one's TB offered with the boards.

How many got good results from the first 2SK117GR they used?

As you can tell I have not applied power, yet!

(Hope this post is OK within this thread)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The 10uf is most influential followed by the 0.33uF. Obbligato Gold you mention are good value among "boutique" brands. But they are having an exposed metallic shell. Watch out for the two capacitors bodies NOT to contact the extra pads underneath. Also don't touch metallic shell parts with bare hands when the circuit is energized. Those extra pads are there to accommodate for different capacitor sizes and are in circuit. Mount the caps a bit proud for leads length on board. Its good to do that in general even with thin outer wrap plastic shrouded capacitors since this is HV and some distance is good to be maintained to avoid creepage. You can ask for subjective preferences about application and parts some people who had posted builds in the SSHV regs thread, although there should be more who had made and are using such regs by now it seems.

I keep dithering over what to use.

There is the space issue though this is not insurmountable.

I initially got some 10uF oil/polypropylene ASC cans to try initially. I am intrigued by the OBBLIGATOs due to their low cost and generally good comments made about them.

The 0.33 uF are easier to deal with since there are lots of good choices out there and the size makes them affordable.

Has anyone commented on which cap position affects sonics the most?

Ironically, I am not obsessing over the resistors. Using the one's TB offered with the boards.

How many got good results from the first 2SK117GR they used?

As you can tell I have not applied power, yet!

(Hope this post is OK within this thread)

I used an Epcos metalized polypropylene (10uF/630V) from Digikey to meet PCB size on the SSHV2. I then used an Obbligato 0.1uF/630V on the amplifier PCB.
Sounds excellent!