• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Potential group buy for F5X components

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is anyone here interested in a component group buy for components F5X Speaker protection board. You will need one of these kits of parts for each board and there are large savings to be had by purchasing together.

There are two sets of parts that I am proposing that we choose from. There is a set that contains the same parts that I used for my test board (more or less) which without the connectors will be $43 or a kit which uses other caps that did not exist at the time I designed the board that will be $34, this does not include the optional connectors, nor does it include the transformer for the mounting hardware, but it does include everything else.

As many of you have not done surface mount soldering before before, I will also offer for $7 basic set that includes 10g of fine 0.45mm Pb/Sn/Ag solder, and 1 meter of good quality solder wick, (this is the cost to buy this stuff).

You should also have a set of fine tip smd tweezers, a small 1.5-2mm chisel tip (or a hoof tip, or a well tip, NOT a conical tip) on your temperature controlled soldering iron and basic through hole soldering stuff, such liquid or tacky flux, 99% IPA and a stiff bristled brush. A hot air rework station like the ATTEN-858D that goes for about $60 on eBay will not go astray either. Do not skimp on the tweezers, go without a good set of SMD tweezers or use a conical tip you will wonder why this is so hard.

Happy Building
Alexis Shaw

Well if people are interested in that, I may offer it, however the price will be well above $100 per board due to the time involved in me soldering it, testing it and then there will be shipping.

Personally this is not that hard of a board to solder, and was actually my first SMD board myself.

It is actually not too bad, however you do need a couple of tools that having only done through hole, you might not have. but it is actually easier than through hole in the end.

Just for those here who are a bit worried and thinking of purchasing two kits would people be interested in a supp kit with one or two extra of each component, (depending on the component). this will be cheaper than having two complete kits, as there are a large number of expensive and caps that are all the same value. and the same with some chips. This should be quite a lot cheaper.

Alexis,

I was going to propose this, just to add a couple of pieces more of each components, especially the smallest one. They can just disappear if you sneeze on them. We could also include the 5.1 smd for the main amp boards.

If we want to go the extra mile, we could just include "everything that is not covered by other GB, excluding mosfets".

Of course, I would be in for one kit.

Best Regards,

Davide

About the extra parts above I definitely am considering it. However due to EUVL's insistence none of the parts are that small here :). However consider it done there will be extra components in each kit, unless people complain. I will give new prices soon.

About the everything else kit. I would rather keep it seperate from the protection board kit. But of there is interest I can include the other parts apart from the FETs (MOSFET and JFET) that should be Cheaper. I'll give a price assuming 80% take up with the above soon. Then people can choose which they would like.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Alexis,
Considering to organize a GB for the "everything else" I had a good look at the prices from Mouser and there should be something like 20-30% to save making kits for > 10 AMPs. The main saving being on the main rail caps.
Considering PayPal fees, shipping cost (which is free from Mouser) for a total BOM cost of about 130-150 euro (on the top of my head) makes the margin slim.
Maybe, a partial "everything else" GB covering only "small" components that add little or nothing to the shipping cost of the protection board kits would be the best idea. Probably large components (i.e. CAPS) are better sourced and distributed regionally.
Just my thoughts,
Nic

Thanks very much for your hard work during board design and now for this offer!

I'd be interested in one kit for a protection board and most probably also in another one assorting "small, lightweight parts" for the build.

I agree with NicMac that it is not economical to ship 16 power supply caps weighting over 1000g in total around the globe.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.