The Wire LPUHP 16W Power Amp parts GB - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2012, 06:11 PM   #11
bcg27 is offline bcg27  United States
diyAudio Member

I think the lt model regulators should definitely be used with a 15 volt secondary since it doesn't give us much headroom.

Interested in everything except hookup wire. I'd buy a chisel tip or two as well. Can never have too many tips! Definitely not interested in z foils, too rich for my blood. Also I think $100 is a little excessive for that copper heatsink.

Regarding a custom transformer from sumr, what do you guys think about the specs? Something like 80VA, dual 115V primaries, quad 15 volt secondaries sound reasonable? I was thinking if we go custom maybe we could do 16 volt secondaries since that gives us a bit more headroom in the power supply without having to up the capacitor ratings.
Old 13th January 2012, 09:34 PM   #12
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikje View Post
Thanks. At least the decision is made for me as to whether I want to build this one. Maybe next time.
hey man, look dont give up yet and for sure no need for the red face, it depends whether there is another run and it depends, if it doesnt get complicated and it looks like there will be more pcbs, then the GB will be widened, but as is i think we should limit to GB members or the GB thread could take longer to organise than the PCBs.

given the popularity i'm laying bets there will be another run
Old 13th January 2012, 10:15 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

in a group i doubt the copper sinks would be that much, ive asked about bulk pricing direct from enzotech and while not cheap their other models are not that expensive. all the same; have you SEEN what copper costs now? i was unable to find the price for that one listed directly on a site in a rather brief search; as most of their resellers are PC tuning places and thus dont really need that model. where did you find it listed?

as for the TX if we went the custom route yes i think it would be silly to not take advantage of it by specifying an exact voltage. i would give Richard all the numbers and get him to load test. I double checked the LT317 vs LM317 and while they have 1/3 the noise.

zfoils are not for everyone, but the SMD are half the price of the more popular tx2575 for basically the same part. i dont think they are that rich TBH when you think of the fact they make them at any exact value you want, to order in short run, by laser etching them. remember these guys main market is Military, Aerospace and hitech; not audiophiles. no snake oil here, just overkill, there are times when using just a couple is one of the better value tweaks around imo and reduces distortion quite measurably, they are especially stable over temperature and frequency. buying direct is about 1/6 of the price as buying them at digikey and for a tighter standard tolerance

Last edited by qusp; 13th January 2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 14th January 2012, 12:13 AM   #14
bcg27 is offline bcg27  United States
diyAudio Member

Lol, I looked at the link OPC posted in the amp thread and thought weight was price hehe. So maybe it is more reasonable.

I'm sure the zfoils are very nice, and there is no question the technology to make them is pretty cool. I'm just not into paying 10 bucks for a resistor when I can get a perfectly fine one for 50 cents.
Old 14th January 2012, 12:28 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

ah i didnt finish my sentence above

Quote:
I double checked the LT317 vs LM317 and while they have 1/3 the noise.
the other specs are mostly exactly the same for the to220 package, they are designed as a drop in replacement, so i guess they have to be. the lt1085/1033 on the other hand are lower dropout, lower noise, better load line performance, but also more expensive and the 1033 is becoming hard to find.

haha yeah i didnt think that sounded right about the sinks.
the Zfoils are 8 singly, i have to check bulk numbers. still more than 50 cents, but in all honesty i'd spend the 48 on 6 of them before i spent the money for a custom transformer
Old 14th January 2012, 12:35 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

anyway i'm guiltier than most, but this isnt a conversation thread, so please copy this post and add your name if you are prepared to help out:

possible regional distributors and parts procurement

US
Ed LaFontaine
who has also volunteered to help with the main US parts order and initial sort for regional packages

Australasia
qusp
hochopeper

EU
?

Asia
?
Old 14th January 2012, 12:37 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

I've attached a pic of the heatsink I will be making for my amps.

Overall dimensions are the same as the heatsink shown on Owen's amp, but I have raised the height to match the other components on the board.

The dimensions of the cutout for the buffers is not final and will be updated when I hear from Owen.

Price for anyone interested would be $15 AUD + anodizing (about $2 I guess) Price is for a single heatsink.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LPUHP Heatsink.par.jpg (184.6 KB, 336 views)

Last edited by HYPERTUNE; 14th January 2012 at 01:02 AM. Reason: clarify pricing
Old 14th January 2012, 12:49 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

HYPERTUNE, can you clarify if price is for single or stereo pair?

Either way put my down for a pair of those please!
Old 14th January 2012, 01:00 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Price is per heatsink. Material cost will be close to $4, and the rest is machine time. No design or toolpath costs are added as I'll be doing it for myself regardless.
Old 14th January 2012, 03:44 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

well put me down for 4 please mate, thanks so much!!

so

Custom CNC Alloy Heatsinks, kindly machined by Hypertune

qusp 4
hochopeper 2
_______
total 6

any chance of paying extra for anodised? Blue perhaps? i know black is best for heat
I also encourage you to have a bit of fun with the profile for an original; i didnt press this through a die look, provided it doesnt impact too much on your time or costs. just a suggestion, what you have is already perfect and the price is definitely right!! we are so lucky on these boards to have so many skilled professionals and designers willing to donate their time. it makes me feel quite inadequate sometimes

i take back the anodising, its asking too much

Last edited by qusp; 14th January 2012 at 03:59 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!