Official O2 Headphone Amp Front Panel Group Buy - Page 51 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2011, 09:00 AM   #501
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Just to point out that the cases should come supplied with with 2 sets of fasteners - one set of 8 x Phillips-head and one set of 8 x Torx head. They are self-tappers - I had no problem using the Torx-head fasteners, although a spot of lubrication on the threads is a good idea. I suspect that using the Philips-head fasteners to cut the threads may result in a chewed-up screw head or two as a certain amount of effort is needed when cutting the threads for the first time. Using the Torx screws, with the correct-sized bit, nothing slipped at all, and they look good.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 01:02 PM   #502
jtktam is offline jtktam  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Blog Entries: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenalien View Post
Just to point out that the cases should come supplied with with 2 sets of fasteners - one set of 8 x Phillips-head and one set of 8 x Torx head. They are self-tappers - I had no problem using the Torx-head fasteners, although a spot of lubrication on the threads is a good idea. I suspect that using the Philips-head fasteners to cut the threads may result in a chewed-up screw head or two as a certain amount of effort is needed when cutting the threads for the first time. Using the Torx screws, with the correct-sized bit, nothing slipped at all, and they look good.
By using the correct sized + tip you should not have any issues with the screws.

I would say don't try to go 90mph on the screws, slowly and surly.. if it doesn't want to turn any more, back out a bit and turn again..

-joe
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 08:13 PM   #503
RDGinSA is offline RDGinSA  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Hi jkt:

I had a good chuckle over your comment about driving in the panel screws. I confess to getting a bit "surly" myself, when trying to drive Philips head screws and having the driver bit slip and strip the screw head -- I much prefer Robertson or Torx head screws. On my amp, I used the Torx head screws to fasten the back panel. I agree with greenalien's comment: the Torx heads went in easily and securely and I think they look fine.

--RDG
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 09:03 PM   #504
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Just curious: How common are Robertson screws in the U.S.? I was told they were only used in Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDGinSA View Post
Hi jkt:

I had a good chuckle over your comment about driving in the panel screws. I confess to getting a bit "surly" myself, when trying to drive Philips head screws and having the driver bit slip and strip the screw head -- I much prefer Robertson or Torx head screws. On my amp, I used the Torx head screws to fasten the back panel. I agree with greenalien's comment: the Torx heads went in easily and securely and I think they look fine.

--RDG
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 09:18 PM   #505
MrSlim is offline MrSlim  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldHill View Post
Just curious: How common are Robertson screws in the U.S.? I was told they were only used in Canada.
It's like other Canadian exports that are slowly being infiltrated into American society.. Can you say Canadian Comedians..

Seriously.. A few years back when TVs were still being built in the US (Curtis Mathis), I discovered that they were using Robertson head screws as "security" screws on the back of their sets since they weren't readily available there..
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 09:26 PM   #506
RDGinSA is offline RDGinSA  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Although Robertson head (square drive) fasteners are much less common in the US than in Canada, they do turn up occasionally here and are available in specialty shops. I became acquainted with Robertson head screws (and other Canadian delights) many years ago when I went to graduate school in Toronto. That experience caused me to equip my toolbox with a good size selection of Robertson drivers. Generally, I prefer Robertson head to Philips head fasteners and use them when I can get them. That being said, Torx is probably the best of all - that design provides a really positive grip on the screw. The downside, of course, is having to buy yet another set of specialty tools.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 10:29 PM   #507
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
I understand about the self taping screws, but having worked in a machine shop I can tell you that isn't the best way to thread. As said, I would use a 6-32 tap, but you guys can choose your own method. Just my recommendation.

None the less all packages have been shipped out as of today!
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 10:41 PM   #508
sebash is offline sebash  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynhawaiian View Post
I understand about the self taping screws, but having worked in a machine shop I can tell you that isn't the best way to thread. As said, I would use a 6-32 tap, but you guys can choose your own method. Just my recommendation.

None the less all packages have been shipped out as of today!
Thanks for your hard work, now we can all eagerly await the packages.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 10:45 PM   #509
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
all packages have been shipped out as of today!
Brilliant - thanks a lot for all your effort.

Quote:
As said, I would use a 6-32 tap
what's that in metric.... - yes, even the home of the Imperial measurement system doesn't use it any more!
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 11:09 PM   #510
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Metric = 3.5 x .06. 3.5mm diameter - 0.06 thread pitch. I would rather use metric any day of the week. Slugs aren't my favorite flavor of measurement :/
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY Project RocketScientist Headphone Systems 4098 9th October 2014 06:50 PM
O2 Front Panel GB Interest flynhawaiian Group Buys 254 6th October 2011 04:28 AM
Official Group Buy for Autotech Waveguides. Scaper Group Buys 10 24th May 2011 10:50 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:48 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2