• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Discrete Low Jitter Clock GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks to all those participating in the group buy. As planned I am ordering the PCBs today. I'm ordering 100. 52 have been accounted for so far and I'm planning on keeping 20 to 30 for myself, so there is still some for others who still wish to join in.

After the PCBs have arrived and I've tested them I will confirm prices and start taking payments. I expect this to happen in two to three weeks from now. Unless something dramatic happens, the kit and bare PCB costs will be exactly what I estimated in the first post.

@pchw: Change noted, that's fine.

@touchdown: Thanks for the clarification.

hi amc184,

i ve been looking for a clock upgrade for a while and found this thread.

can you give a little background of how you came to choose this solution if it s not too much ask? or maybe you could point me to some documentation?

also, what characteristics make the j309 a good candidate? would bf862 be a good substitution? it has reportedly very low noise.

finally, i have a tough time figuring out what voltage does VCC1 runs at.
i m very tempted to build this clock with my own psu.

regards,

-py

I couldn't help wondering what the output impedance of the TL431 based power supplies might be even at 11MHz, and whether it can cope with the >50mA pulsed current for the oscillator.

I presume you have done some measurements for the above, and perhaps some jitter measurements on top ?

Also I wonder if you change the values of C101~104 when going to 33MHz, and what the loading on the Xtal would then be ?

Patrick

@pidesd: Check out the first post for a bit of background on the design.

I had a quick look at the data sheet for the BF862 and couldn't see anything that would make it unsuitable. It does have a very low noise level, but it's surface mount, which rules it out for this PCB.

Both VCC1 and VCC2 are +5VDC.

@BFNY: You're not too late, I've added you to my list. Thanks for offering to measure the jitter, what technique would you use?

@EUVL: Your concern over the performance of the TL431 at high frequencies is valid. No spec is provided past 4MHz, but in reality I found the performance to be satisfactory. There are decoupling capacitors beyond the shunt regulator.

As I have said before, I don't have the equipment necessary to produce a quotable figure for jitter. I have taken both objective and subjective measurements (comparisons of the jitter at a CD player's output and listening tests) that indicate that it has significantly lower jitter compared to a stock CD player master clock.

I chose C101 to C104 to best suit a frequency of about 18MHz, the centre of its range. I have experimented with differing values of C101 to C104 for each frequency, but found no performance increase. It's also very practical to have that value constant.

Last edited:
@pidesd:

@BFNY: You're not too late, I've added you to my list. Thanks for offering to measure the jitter, what technique would you use?

I would try a software method based on using a high speed digitizer.

First would be in high resolution spectrum analyzer mode, with a huge FFT (5Meg data record). Second using a couple hundred thousand clock cycles analyzed in special software. I may try other methods too. Both above are limited to the digitizer clock jitter, which in this case is about 3ps rms.
Best way for this sort of oscillator is to use a phase noise system, but I don't have access to one.

The PCBs have been fabricated and are now on their way to me. I'll post another update when they arrive.

Hi amc,

I am wondering if you have looked at applications other than CD players?

I am interested in trying some upgrades to a miniDSP, the minidsp balanced I have has a 12MHz and 12.288MHz crystal. What advantages might your implementation give over the minidsp standard clocks.

I've looked at your blog and also interested in what method you've used to connect your clock into the CDP also, though this may be getting off topic slightly.

Hi Anton
I'm on list for 4 bare boards, and that is OK.
It's posible to change my order, I will take 4 bare boards + 4 AD8561 or 4 bare boards + all semiconductors. If posible pleace tell me price. If is not posible than my order will stay as it is now, 4 bare boards.
best regards
tome

@hochopeper: There are certainly applications beyond CD players, almost anything with a ADC or DAC will benefit from a low phase noise clock. PM me some details about your project and I can give you a more specific answer.

@tome: Sorry, but to avoid complicating things I'm only offering complete kits or bare PCBs.

@carpin: Thanks, I've added you to my list.

The boards have now arrived and they look good. Registration is good and I couldn't find any defects. I'm now going to assemble one and check all is well.

I'm going to send out PMs to each group buy participant over the next hour to confirm interest and collect email and delivery addresses.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.