• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

RJM Audio Sapphire Headphone Amplifier rev14a1 kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Announcing a total of 10 Sapphire kits will be available at a cost of $100 each.

The Sapphire desktop headphone amp is a two stage, voltage gain + current gain design, with a 4 transistor diamond buffer typically running open loop as the output stage. Typically about 10 mWpc of class A output, 1-2 Wpc class B output, and a total quiescent dissipation of 6-7 W stereo. The board revision is 14s1. BOM and info attached, or see the Sapphire web page and RJM Audio products page for more information.

The kit consists of a pair of boards and all the parts for the boards. Volume control, chassis hardware, transformer(s), rectifiers, are not included.

Richard

Attachments

• sapphire14s1.png
    sapphire14s1.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 1,861
  • BOM-Sapphire14.zip
    177.6 KB · Views: 214

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Spiffy yellow Sapphire boards arrived this afternoon.

I'll be putting a set together shortly just to double check everything works as it should.

A quick check showed one minor mistake on the BOM: the heatsinks are a little too wide. I have ordered some of the smaller size and these will ship with the kit.

The correct Mouser pn for the heatsinks is 532-577002B00.

/r

Attachments

• DSC_1246 800.jpg
    DSC_1246 800.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 1,754
  • DSC_1243 800.jpg
    DSC_1243 800.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,688

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
And another mess-up in the BOM, now fixed.

The Mouser pn for R10,11 was for a 330k ohm resistor, not a 300 ohm one. One letter difference in the part code.

Sheesh.

Everything else checks good. Using the R10,11 salvaged from the prototype, I'm listening to the new boards as I type this. The output bias current is about 3x more, within 20% of my calculated value. No quantum change in the sound over the prototype version. Right now it seems slightly heavier, warmer sounding, but the filter caps are haven't run in yet so it's too early to make a proper assessment.

Last edited:

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
That was fun. Let's do it ... again!

Planning a second run, to be organized over the holidays when I am marginally less busy with work.

Let me know if interested in boards or kits for the Sapphire.

Also - am taking requests for any changes based on peoples experience with the initial offering. So far response as been positive, though not flawless. More people encountered difficulties with the build than I would like, even as the final sonic results have generally met expectations.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.