O2 amp parts GB, EU - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st August 2011, 02:32 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

I guess a seperate "case group buy" might actually make sense here.

@ Jokener: The Alps pot is quite alright, no worries. And 13€ is quite a lot to ask for a metal knob, so I guess I'm gonna stick with the plastic variant for now and maybe DIY a nice wooden one in time.
Old 31st August 2011, 03:24 PM   #12
Jokener is offline Jokener  Germany
diyAudio Member

About the case:
@Brian: In the US, MrSlim is offering a full-service O2.
You should be able to source an Allied Electronics Aluminum case directly from him.

@all: I could not find a better case supplier than Allied Electronics.
I have done a custom case design, however.
It's a 2-part enclosure in the shape of two "U"-s (Left/Bottom/Right + Back/Top/Front).
Manufacturing WILL be quite expensive, since it's lasercut and bent from Stainless Steel.
(I'm expecting 25+ for my design, manufactured at a shop I know.)

So there are basically three options:
1) I offer my design for sale. Wasn't planning on doing it, but I might as well.
This would require a prototype by next week, so I can take pictures and you can decide.
2) I order from Allied Electronics. Cases should be ~15 each (11$+shipping+import tax)
3) We exclude the cases from this groupbuy.

What's the opinion on this?
Old 31st August 2011, 03:40 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Any pics of your modded case?
Old 31st August 2011, 03:59 PM   #14
Jerom is offline Jerom  France
diyAudio Member

I am more attracted by your 2) , but you can still propose both versions
Old 31st August 2011, 04:28 PM   #15
Amrad is offline Amrad  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Re: O2 amp parts GB, EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokener View Post
Additional insurance is available (2.05 base rate + 1.55 per 100 of value) -> +3.55 for most small quantities.
2.05 + 1.55 = 3.60 not 3.55!

Regards,

Dave.
Old 31st August 2011, 04:30 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Jokener, thanks so much for taking this on! I have a few comments/suggestions:

I would strongly urge holding off on buying the components until the PC boards arrive, and at least Oliver has built up an O2 with the new PC board. And, by then, hopefully a few other O2's will also be built up and used by others. I think many are moving too fast for a brand new design and I am especially worried about the latest PC board files as I have not built a prototype of the new board. For example, the 15mm volume control pots should work but I have not tested it. And people might discover other problems so some may change their mind about the O2.

Is Farnell Europe a better source for the enclosure than Allied in the USA? They are 12 Euro and you won't pay import tax and less in shipping: BOX ENCLOSURES|B2-080BK|GEHAEUSE,ALUMINIUM,SCHWARZ, 109X30X80MM | Farnell Deutschland

I agree leave the batteries out. eBay is best.

The AC wall transformer is perhaps one of the more difficult items to source. Perhaps the one from Farnell could be purchased with the enclosures above? In the comments to the O2 Details article there was some discussion about very high shipping costs, minimum order sizes, etc. to obtain the transformer. So that might be a very good Group Buy item?

Has anyone looked into quantity discounts from Schaeffer AG for the front panel? (The panel design is also unproven but hopefully will be tested soon). The problem is they would all be the same color and lettering but it might be a nice option.

It's also possible, for a large order, you might save some money buying some parts from TTI, RS Components, Farnell, etc. instead of Mouser.

The most critical things for the design that you almost have to get from Mouser (or TTI) are:

- Eagle battery clips
- NJM4556
- STX3120 3.5mm Jacks (you should ask for color preferences on these)
- PN22SJ Switch
- Switch button
- MV5764.MP4B LED
- 2.2 uF capacitors (Farnell at least doesn't have a direct substitute)

Everything else is fairly generic and should not be a problem getting elsewhere.

I'm looking forward to pictures of your custom case!

Hopefully leave some nice profit for yourself and perhaps encourage extra donations with payments. Group buys seem to be LOTS of work! Thanks again for taking on the challenge.
Old 31st August 2011, 06:43 PM   #17
tropih is offline tropih  Norway
diyAudio Member

I'm interested in 1 x kit, without case and batteries.....
Old 31st August 2011, 07:55 PM   #18
fbjohn is offline fbjohn  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Please put me down for 2 x kits, cases maybe when I've seen them, no batteries.
Old 31st August 2011, 07:58 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I'm in for 1 kit.Maybe the casing and the wall transformer could be a new GB in itself, i'm interested in too.
Old 31st August 2011, 08:10 PM   #20
Jokener is offline Jokener  Germany
diyAudio Member

@igor: Right now it is just a CAD file, since I dont have any sheetmetal at hand.
And there are two important deadlines coming up at work next week, monday and saturday. After that I have nothing but time...
So right now I'm thinking next saturday after work I'll get crackin' on manufacturing my own case design prototype.
I'll post the CAD pictures soon, but a photo will have to wait.

@Jerom:
Personally, I would prefer not having to build cases for others. At least not a design I have never done before.
I have built formula racecars and I disassemble an engine and adjust valve timings at 2:30 in the morning, no problem.
But it is the same situation for me as it is for RocketScientist: Unproven design... something you learn from racing, the hard way...

@Amrad:
You're correct, 2.05+1.55=3.60. I didn't double-check the postage options...
But now I did and its 2.05€ + 1.50€, so we get back to the 3.55€ I quoted before.

@RocketScientist:
I won't order within the next week or two for exactly those reasons.
But I want to get the obvious obstacles out of the way as soon as possible, so that we can start when everything else is ready.
The Farnell Cases look great. So unless anything else comes up, I would offer those.
(I'll just have to figure out an appropriate price, with shipping costs and all.)

Somehow, the AC wall transformer looks like a fairly small challenge.
There are plenty of shops that sell them, including Farnell etc.
If there is enough interest, I can add them to the offering with no problem at all.
It would increase shipping costs, but thats just the way it is.
Right now there is the Mouser unit and if we decide on the Farnell cases, they have them too.

If at all possible, I would like to stay with Mouser as the sole or main supplier next to Farnell.
At a total of 15€ in parts that can be influenced, there is just not enough money to be saved to justify another vendor...
It might end up saving everybody a dime, maybe 40 cents... And it might delay things...

But, in the spirit of you designing this little beast at no charge, I won't try to make a huge profit on the GB.
I'll make sure not to charge too little, but I am not trying to make at least X Euros per hour I spend on it.
Of course me and my girlfriend (she'll help with the bagging and the tagging) would appreciate it if someone threw in a little extra, but thats not mandatory.

Anyway, with all your orders so far, we are at 12 kits (including my own 3).
That means the 27€/22€ rate (first/additional) for the kits should work out if we find a couple more buyers in the next two weeks.
So if nothing goes south with the boards, we're almost set to go.

And yes, it will be quite a lot of work and repetetive processes to sort and bag everything.
But a couple of years back I had a summer job folding paper protectors that go in between layers of rolled sheetmetal parts at a factory.
2500 protectors in 8 hours... Repetetive processes? I can do that :-)

Last edited by Jokener; 31st August 2011 at 08:12 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!