• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

O2 amp parts GB, EU

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'll make sure to add a little something extra of course. Being a student it won't be much, but that makes it all the much sweeter, doesn't it ?:D

Now if you DO order parts from Farnell (mainly the cases, I guess...), what's the shipment policy from Farnell? How much do you have to order to get free postage?

If we do get that we would be a little more flexible in the ordering of parts. If Mouser is out of stock on something, we can order that part from Farnell. If Mousers price is significantly higher? We order that part from Farnell...

I don't know how much it would increase your efforts though, so just do what you think is right

And it certainly is a good thing that you take your time with this, ti's much appreciated. We want to get this right the first time :cheers:

Last edited:
@Jokener, Thanks again for doing this. That all sounds good! Don't under estimate the e-mails, paypal hassles, changes in orders, etc. There's a lot of "admin" work too.

As for the transformers, someone in Norway said it was 22 GB pounds just for shipping cost on the Farnell 230V transformer. And I've heard similar complaints from those in other countries.

Also, nothing in the O2 is very ESD sensitive except the MOSFETs. If you can find a source for a sheet of conductive foam you could just cut it up into suitable sized pieces and stuff the 4 NJM DIP8 ICs in it (to keep the pins from getting bent in shipping) and insert the MOSFETS sideways (laying flat) into one side of the foam. That would save some work and you wouldn't need any antistatic bags.

I've also seen just a printed sheet of paper with the values on it and you can just tape the various components next to their printed part number/value. That would work well for all the resistors, diodes, 0.022 uF, 1 uF and 220pf capacitors. Everything else is pretty obvious with easy to read part numbers, etc. and can be tossed in the same bag.

I'm interested in 2 kits.

All standard components.
15A pot (better for low volume)
Two small boxes B2-080BK (preferably black) I think it will look really good when the text becomes silver after engraving.
No machined front
No AC adapter (maybe one depending on price)
No batteries

I think it would be great if you could handle the enclosure GB as well because that should save shipping cost for everyone. Sure it takes a lot of time but thanks for at least considering it.

In case there is a GB for cases I would like to see your enclosure design but i'm leaning towards the standard one so far. I checked farnell (sweden) and they had a few hundred of the B2 enclosure in total and a few colors to choose from (black and silver i can remember).

Edit: Maybe all components doesn't need to be placed in separate bags. The opamps for example are really easy to see the difference between and the same with resistors and many other components. You could probably save quite a lot of time there and i think most of the people here will be able to sort it out them selves.

Edit 2: Transformer would be great because we swedes can't even order from farnell as a private person its restricted to companies only and the shipping is really expensive...

Last edited:
@RocketScientist:
I know whats coming towards me, but thanks for the warning. I have was involved in organizing my teams motorsports competitions... who needs to go today, who tomorrow, who needs extra soft towels, bagels anybody?, maybe a Red Bull for breakfast? Two? Very well, sir... :)
Farnell, Mouser and the other large vendors only charge that much for small quantities.
1kg in an envelope within the EU is 7€, though I'll have to double-check to make sure none of the components get squashed by the AC adapter during shipping.
But as long as someone orders the case, I can just put the fragile parts in there...

@lenconian:
IF we jump for the Farnell enclosures, I'd of course order each part where it is cheaper.
I just don't want to start with TTI, Conrad, Reichelt or other vendors to save another penny or two, thats all...

What are the dimensions of the PCB ?
Also, please can you post a link to the wall adapter ? Or just specify if it's a cheap Chinese switching one or a linear regulator (for lower noise maybe) ?

It's neither. It's an AC-to-AC wall transformer. For Europe that's 230 VAC in and 12 VAC out (up to 18 VAC is OK). DC adapters, regulated, switching, or otherwise, won't work.

The PCB is 80mm x 100mm. There's a drawing provided.

All such details are here: O2 Details or the summary version.

QRikard, I get my transformers from elfa.se, unless they're small and I can ship them from Hong Kong or the US.

Elfa is extremely expensive here, first they have few AC transformers. Cheapest version i could find now quickly would cost about 30€ including shipment.

Transformer i can find for about 10€ at Kjell & Co downtown so those are good. The cases is a bigger problem since only companies can order from farnell in sweden and i haven't found any other local supplier.
I guess that the shipping from allied electronics is quite expensive for 2 cases since the handling fee is 5$ and they don't even specify the shipment cost in the webpage.

Personally i would gladly pay a few extra € to get everything in a GB. I think it's better that Jokener get some of that money for all the hard work compared to spending it in shipment from various sources...

Okay guys, I have some good news: I found affordable transformers:
- I can source them at a local dealer in any quantity I desire
- They are manufactured in Germany (so no cheap china-quality)
- Certified by the VDE (german association of electrical engineers)
- They come with IP44 marine sealing (in case you like to pour your transformer a drink)
- Primary cable is 2m long (so no "wall wart") and has a Euro-plug (UK buyers cut the cord and replace it, easy)
- Secondary cable is 2m long, open ended (so we'd need the plug to connect it to the O2)
- rated output is 10 VA (O2 needs min 2.4 VA)
- weight is approximately 600g (determined by touch of hand, ±50g), so shipping cost from me to you would go up from 3,45€ to 7,00€.

Price? 15€ plus the secondary side plug to connect the O2.
Its not cheap, but they seem like a good deal to me.

If you want, you could check a local shop that specializes in lamps and electrical accessories for home installations...
12V halogen lamps require AC power, those transformers for very few halogen bulbs should work (you want very little amps, so no 200VA-transformers for the O2).

edit: @razorblader: These are NOT DC Adapters. They deliver AC current, as is required by the O2 design.
So don't use them to power any other gadgets and dont use any DC adapters for the O2. :)

I'd like one kit for me please.

All standard components.
15A pot (better for low volume)
Two small boxes B2-080BK (preferably black) I think it will look really good when the text becomes silver after engraving.
No machined front
No AC adapter
No batteries

And one more thing, i don't have a PCB yet, could i get one from you too or order it from somewhere else, also i think shipping to Romania would be no problem? Thanks

Hi Jokener,

Good job on the transformers! Please add one to my list as well. And I'd also like the 15A tapered pots. Special note: I've compared the tapers from Alps and Bourns, and the Bourns audio taper looks the most like Alps' 15A taper. So any audio tapered pot by Bourns is fine too. This makes my entire list as follows:

- 2 bare kits with 15A pots or Bourns audio taper pots
- one enclosure
- one transformer
- no batteries or other stuff

Cheers!

I'll try to get a detailed spec sheet and the VDE certificate to check with RocketScientist if the transformer is adequate.
I think I remember a professor at the university said a transformer should not be operated under 50% load...
And the math on 2.4VA (min. for O2) and 10VA (max for transformer)... well... it doesn't like the 50% number.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.