• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB Thread for Salas SSLV1.1 BiB shunt reg

Hi all together,

i want to power up the WaveIO (USB/I2S) from Lucian with one regulator (ca.500mA).
My question, is it possible with the parts from the GB "IRF (5.5V-45V)" to get/adjust the 5V for WaveIO or should i better use the "BJT (2.5V-5.5V)" package?
For my other components, "BlackCrow" and mojo2, is it clear for me (1 x 12V, 2 x 18V).

Thanks and Regards ........Carsten

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Carsten, use 2 red or green ~1.9V leds and one 1N4007 or alike diode with its cathode mark reverse to the zener's cathode printed in the 'see text' area. Jumper all unused positions in that area, and even the Mosfet will do it. Check with dummy first not to kill any sensitive digital, it should be pretty stable and near 5V.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hmm, resistor damps it a bit which is a plus for the filtering, I suggested the diode as a quick alternative to Carsten for checking all is well with his Mosfet sample and 5V. With the resistor if the Jfet CCS chances to be a bit happier takes a couple of iterations if not allowed to pass 5V. As for the drift when the 220R contributes only 0.6V the diode's stability gain for warm up will be rudimentary. You can try it if you think you may pick it up subjectively and choose though. The impedance of the ref would change a bit mainly, noise no, the lytic filters hard and the Johnson of a 220R is peanuts.

Thanks Salas, not a "cut and dried" improvement then but who knows I'll give it a go and see what if anything it does subjectively. I had no difficulty holding the 5 volts steady but I was careful to select the 2SK117's as per the guide. Supplies as Squeezebox Touch quite comfortably and gives an audible improvement on the supplied Switch mode wallwart.

John