• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB Thread for Salas SSLV1.1 BiB shunt reg

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I prefer to include in kit and the leds.

I am have some LED's on order that are less expensive, but I have learned not to trust the Vf of these things. So I will see if the red and yellow one's I get are any good.

Lemon, did you mean you wanted the kit to include LEDs?

I am very reluctant to include capacitors in this setup, or pots, etc, because - they weigh a lot, will cost you more to ship - and some will need different stuff and what not. I May order it as a seperate Line Item only. The Kemet cap looks good-but Salas nor I have really tested it in circuit at this point.
I used the AxonTrue caps, 4.7uf, 1.69 right now at partsconnexion. Doesn't fit great, but the price was right. A box cap would fit a lot better.
Salas found a Wima cap that would work as well. I don't think any vendor over here stocks it.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I am have some LED's on order that are less expensive, but I have learned not to trust the Vf of these things. So I will see if the red and yellow one's I get are any good.

Lemon, did you mean you wanted the kit to include LEDs?

I am very reluctant to include capacitors in this setup, or pots, etc, because - they weigh a lot, will cost you more to ship - and some will need different stuff and what not. I May order it as a seperate Line Item only. The Kemet cap looks good-but Salas nor I have really tested it in circuit at this point.
I used the AxonTrue caps, 4.7uf, 1.69 right now at partsconnexion. Doesn't fit great, but the price was right. A box cap would fit a lot better.
Salas found a Wima cap that would work as well. I don't think any vendor over here stocks it.

Caps are easy to find and people have their favorites. I'm sure you can leave those out.

Yeah...

I would source LEDs myself as I already have a handful of greens/yellows. As far as the Zobel caps go, there are many choices for this, and people may want to experiment with different films. Mundorf makes a MKP 4.7/250V which should not be too hard to fit, then in the US there is Cornell Dublier with a polyester that should fit fine. Plus, some will want electrolytics in this position. But the 1R is a good idea to include.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Mini Kits Update.

Here is the tentative plan for the kits.
I have subtracted the diodes, but added 2 additional JFETS per rail.
Additionally, I have gone with generic LEDs, and will give extra one's of those to fine tune, or in case they get smoked.
None of the JFETs or LEDs will be measured. You should measure them yourself, as discussed in Build guide. In sampling, the rate of getting one below 3ma is low, or above 5ma. If you do get one, it can be used in a specific are as discussed in section 5 of build guide under JFETs.
I encourage those everywhere, esp in USA to consider ordering locally, as the pricing here is not that competitive. I am offering this solely to get transistors to places where ordering them otherwise is very difficult.

Postive Rail -
5-2SK117GR
3-Red LED 1.8v
3-Yellow LED 1.9v
3-Green LED 2.1v
2-1R resistors 1/4W MF KOA Speer
2-270R Xicon 50ppm 1/4W MF
1-47RXicon 50ppm 1/4W MF
1-IRF9610
1-IRF9530
1-BC550C

Estimated Price is $9.00 (all now include shipping etc. included)

Negative Rail
5-2SK117GR
3-Red LED 1.8v
3-Yellow LED 1.9v
3-Green LED 2.1v
1-BC560c
1-IRF610
1-IRF530
2-1R resistors 1/4W MF KOA Speer
1-47R Xicon 50ppm 1/4W MF

This Rail is less expensive - N channel parts. 8.50

Positive LV
2-1R resistors 1/4 MF KOA Speer
1-47RXicon 50ppm 1/4W MF
5-2SK117GR
3-Red LED 1.8v
3-Yellow LED 1.9v
3-Green LED 2.1v
1-IRF9610
1-MJE15029

$8.50 per rail

Negative LV Rail.

2-1R resistors 1/4 MF KOA Speer
2-270R Xicon 50ppm 1/4 MF
1-47R Xicon 50ppm 1/4 MF
5-2SK117GR
3-Red LED ~1.8v
3-Yellow LED ~1.9v
3-Green LED ~2.1v
1-IRF610
1-MJE1503

8.50 per rail.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
LV for low voltage. Salas discusses use of the BJT output (MJE's) in the BiB build guide. Something 5v in under fit into that category.
The IRF's need over 4v to even conduct, so they are not a good candidate for that aspect of regulation.

The LV kits can be used also for higher voltages, but are challenged more with higher impedance on the output. Always compromises.

I would use normal kits with both IRF's unless something 5v and under is being used.
Salas may be able to elaborate a bit more if needed.