• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB Thread for Salas SSLV1.1 BiB shunt reg

One question Mike or Salas, i will run a +-15v regulator, 450mA shunted (350mA circuit), i have calculated fet dissapation at 2,3/1,4W per regulator, so a total of 7,4W on all four fets. Will it be sufficient cooling if i just screw these to the bottom of my case built of 1mm Steel, Or would it be recommended using sinks?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Just maybe, without C/W data and ventilation of that ''box sink'' there is no scientific answer, but there is a rule of thumb, if you will measure more than 70C on the actual metal tab of any Mosfet its not long term reliable. Apply high quality thermal paste, it helps.

Then i can maybe sink one of the regulators at case bottom, and the other regulator gets its own sinks.
Will be pretty much stuff in the case, since it's a parafeed tube line-stage w. buffalo dac and i/v-stage in the same case.

Mike, i missed two 1R resistors in my IRF- set of components, no problem though, since i will still need to order a few parts for voltage-set part.

When this +-15v regulator will feed my I/V stage, would it be recommended using a 220u electrolytic instead of an 10uF film-cap for C101/C201? And is it better running 2x1,7v leds instead of a zener?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Then i can maybe sink one of the regulators at case bottom, and the other regulator gets its own sinks.
Will be pretty much stuff in the case, since it's a parafeed tube line-stage w. buffalo dac and i/v-stage in the same case.

Mike, i missed two 1R resistors in my IRF- set of components, no problem though, since i will still need to order a few parts for voltage-set part.

When this +-15v regulator will feed my I/V stage, would it be recommended using a 220u electrolytic instead of an 10uF film-cap for C101/C201? And is it better running 2x1,7v leds instead of a zener?

You can discuss technical matters in this thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/192625-sslv1-1-builds-fairytales.html