• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB Thread for Salas SSLV1.1 BiB shunt reg

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Looks like it is working!
I used two diodes (in place of 4 diodes in the bom) and a pair of 1000uF caps I happened to have laying around and it appears to be working well and stable.
7,3VAC input, 14,3VDC on the main psu C105 cap, 6,8ohm R101 resistor for 400mA CCS current heatsinked to the case bottom. The output is set at 7,5VDC for less than 150mA.
I think the Q101 temp at 60°C is a little bit too hot, I am using 4 diodes in d102.3.4.. position, would temp on Q101 go down with only 3 diodes?

With 300mA CCS the Q101 temperature should ease significantly. Using three instead of four LEDs and/or different value R101. You might need a smaller resistance value for your CCS goal when with fewer LEDs. There are tolerances in Mosfets Vgs & LEDs Vf so its important to verify the result. See if it actually runs 400mA now. The voltage drop between R101's legs divided by its Ohmic value proves the CCS current in any case, now or after changes.

Reactions: 1 user
Now with only 3 leds, 3,3ohm R101 resistor and CCS close to 300mA (about 310mA were measured), the temps are cruising at about max 45°C!
This is great, thank you very much @Salas
Here is a close up of the doubler (2x 1N5403 and 2x 1000uF were used):

salas sslv.1.1 w doubler.JPG

This SSLV 1.1 with remote sense is powering a DDDAC motherboard @8,25VDC, next are a 470uF cap and a L78S05CV regulator (with further 4xLF33 regulators in parallel).
Is the 470uF cap actually necessary from SSLV 1.1 point of view or would it be better with a different/no following cap?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
All well then. With what kind of sinking the 45C is obtained? Since the 470uF remote capacitor is not creating oscillations with the 1.1 leave it there to help filter interference managing to ride on the sense wires length. How long are they?

Now peace of mind is with the 470uF cap, thanks.
Sinking is made at the bottom metal plate with holes of a modushop case, indicated temp measurements are with open top and cheap temp gun.
The wires are about 20-25cm long, cheap NOT twistable (many people will wonder why not twistable wire exist me thinks :) ok I can swap that ) wires were used.. I hardly believe wiring could make a difference.. time might be mature to learn how to measure noise in these things though..

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If it works OK in your application as it is now wired its practically fine. If the sound feels any weird it should be positive to revisit the wiring. Twisted sense pair, or even coax sense pair with one end only grounded shields. Assuming you use the native four wire force & sense Kelvin output mode of this regulator.