• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

TO-3 SYMASYM

Some time ago my friend Joe asked me, if I would like and design an AMP with 2 pairs of TO-3 output transistors.

Both, Joe and I, have a couple of MJ2119x transistors at hand, which are worth to be used.

I studied some of the DIY - AMPs in this forum and felt, that Michael Bittner's SYMASYM would be the best match to do the job.

I transferred his SYMASYM version 5.3 into EAGLE, did not change anything in the frontend, but added the pairs of TO-3 in the backend.
DADOD (thank you very much!) simulated the resulting AMP in LTSpice: the results look perfect!

I have attached the schematics as a PDF-file.

After finishing the layout, I had some space left on the bottom right and left side of the PCB and implemented a standard capacitor-multiplier
for the frontend there.

This is the resulting layout:

The red lines indicate tracks, that are running on the top side.
The TO-3s will be mounted on ALU-brackets.
The size of the PCB is 150 x 100mm.

Joe and I want the PCBs to be etched professionally, having the same quality as the PCBs, that I offered in my group-buys
for Carlos Mergulhao's DX Blame (see the picture below).

Since the SYMASYM, the backend and the capacitor-multipliers are proven circuits, we won't do prototyping.

In order to get a decent (about 13€ per PCB) price from the etching company, I must order at least 10 PCBs.

Maybe some of you like this design (SYMASYM with TO-3) and join the party.
I am sure, it will give you a big bang for your bucks.
Take a careful look at the schematics then and tell me, if I shall change anything.

Best regards - Rudi_Ratlos

Attachments

• Symasym.pdf
    38.3 KB · Views: 3,363
Last edited:
Thanks to Rudi who created the asc file and sent the other models included in his asc file.

Attachments

• rudi_symasym.gif
    rudi_symasym.gif
    60.2 KB · Views: 8,698
  • simasym.pdf
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,240
  • simasym.txt
    2.9 KB · Views: 651
Last edited:
I have just finished the "cosmetic improvements" of the layout and the silkscreen of the TO-3 SYMASYM - PCB.
Here it is:

Since there is some interest in the PCB in the German Analog-Forum, I will be able to order the minimum amount of PCBs.

Rich: are you still interested?

Rudi, I see you moved the traces there around the top left TO-3, I didn't like the first one, and the second one you got almost right. I see you now allowed space for the mounting screw, but if possible I suggest you bring the left trace back out to the side to reduce capacitance between the two traces, unless of coarse you think a little in that position is benneficial, other wise nice work. I know Carlos would drive you mad to get all those TO92 transistors in a row

Luke,

I will be able to offer you:

- the AMP PCB for 13€
- the DX PSU PCB for 7€
- the LSProt PCB for 5€

International shipping in coated letter is 5€.
If you pay via PAYPAL please add 4% PAYPAL cost.

The main group-buy thread is documented here (German Analog Forum - have a look at the pictures):

http://www.analog-forum.de/wbboard/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=77848

I will close the group-buy next week.

Last edited:
The 1st round of my TO-3 SYMASYM group-buy has been an incredible success in Germany.
This version includes a Cap-multiplier for the frontend and uses 2 pairs of TO-3s on the output.

The German DIYers like to build mono-blocks, and here is an example, how the TO-3 SYMASYM has been set up by one of them:

http://www.abload.de/img/image_d9ee32089d8c7ecda71x.jpg

There has been one flaw concerning my design (the power dissipation of the driver transistors), and I did a few minor corrections
(after simulating them thoroughly) on the schematics and mounted the drivers on the L-profile as well.

Have a look at the resulting version 2 - layout:

http://www.abload.de/img/untitledj7eu.jpg

The red pads and tracks are showing the copper pads and tracks on the top-side of the PCB.

The layout, PCB - quality and sound of this amp is unmatched. I do currently not see any rival to this amp.

My TO-3 SYMASYM is not only a hommage to TO-3 transistors; this AMP "plays" music.

I will offer a very limited edition (a "Small Kit", consisting of PCB, TO-3s, MPC74 emitter resistors and ALU-L Profile) - the TO-3 SYMASYM LE -
by the end of August.
The price of a small kit will be very fair.

Last edited:
...why is this the best amp of all?

I did not use these words, Damir, and I did not say:" ... sounds better than ..."

I emphasized the quality of the PCB, the elegant layout - approved by my layout-mentor -that took many, many hours to do,
resulting in vivid, smooth tracks, clear distinction between Power- and Signal-tracks, take - off points, where they should be,
the beautiful "TO-3 SYMASYM Builder's Manual", ..., and the sound.

I did some small enhancements on Michael Bittner's original design (added a CAP-multiplier for the front-end, for example), but
maybe it is the synergy of his folded cascode structure, his toughly coupled feedback and TO-3 transistors on the output that
produces a sound: power and dynamics, more than you can bear, smooth, with a timbre that you feel like in heaven,
a feast for your ears.

I will give you another example.
You listen to a "bootstrapped" AMP (I do not tell you the name of his designer) and you say: "Well - it sounds allright."
Listen to the same AMP having original, non-fake SANKEN 2SA1216 / 2SC2922 on the output - and you will not stop listening.

This is, what counts "in my ears": to have the chance to "listen to an event".

The TO-3 SYMASYM, having two pairs of MJ21193/MJ21194 on the output, is such an "event", and it is simply the best.

RYAN: you are in for 2 small kits.

I see Rudi what you whant to say, just be careful when you state
" I do currently not see any rival to this amp."
This is in a way as DX amps are descibed and it's preposterous.
I am sure the PCB is exelent and the support too. Original SYMASIM uses faster output transistor and technically it should be better. I would like to listen to both but it's no possible as I do not have them and no time to bild as I have other project in line.
I am fascinated how DIY in Germany is good, so many enthusiasts.
regards Damir