• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

TO-3 SYMASYM

Jean-Pierre reported on an error in my BlackBeauty - SYMASYM Layout.
My EAGLE software shows a pinout of EBC for the two BC546B transistors, which are used in the speaker-protection.

In reality these transistors are CBE - types.
Please flip these 2 transistors by 180°.

Best regards - Rudi

Attachments

• bc546b.png
    bc546b.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 734
Gentlemen, from time to time I am asked, if I have any of my SYMASYM - PCBs left.
No - I do not have, I am sorry, they have all been sold, but ...

I have layouted a Rev.2 of the "BlackBeauty - SYMASYM" (see image 2) and together with 2 of my German DIY-friends I have populated the prototype - PCBs.
They work - of course, why not!
You can either use TO3-P or TO-264 transistor-pairs - as you like.

The size of the Rev.2 - PCB is 211 x 94mm.
So it fits perfectly into my DIY-carpenter Gerhard' s wooden case (which uses 100mm long heatsinks - see image 1).

What I am planning to do in 2015 is: to set up a "Multi-Media Amplifier" consisting of:

- this SYMASYM
- using my R-PRE (the attenuation being based upon LDRs), being followed by Calvin's line Buffer (giving you an an incredible natural sound)
- a RASPBERRY Pi B+ incl. I2S - DAC, giving you WLAN/INTERNET - connectivity

I will not offer you anything else in a group-buy but the shown PCBs.
But - maybe: you will follow me even then.

Best regards - Rudi_Ratlos

Attachments

• BB Rev2 003.jpg
    BB Rev2 003.jpg
    454.8 KB · Views: 506
  • BB Rev2.png
    BB Rev2.png
    344.7 KB · Views: 493
I am also selling 2 Black Beauty boards (unpopulated) including a set of matched transistors (4 x NJW0302G & 4 x NJW0281G) for a dual mono setup. Boards 26,-€ and transistors 20,-€ + shipping and Paypal fees (4/100) - this is exactly what I paid in the last GB. If anyone is interested please send me a PM.

All the best wishes,

Michael

Started a Group Buy Yet?

Rudi,

Have you started a group buy for the Black Beauty PCBs? Where do I sign up? I'd be interested in 2 PCBs and the BOM - hopefully for Mouser. :) How much for 2 PCBs USD. Your plans for 2015 look very interesting. Maybe by the time I get done with the VCPre, I'll be ready to tackle the Multi-Media Amp. Great stuff!

BTW, will these relays work in the VCPre?

PS. I mean Rev 2 of the SYSASM. :)
-Rick

Last edited:
Rick, Ryan,

I will order 10 PCBs of the one shown in the image below on this weekend.

This is where my SYMASYM-journey has come to an end.
I have the feeling that I can't do it better.
As my old friend EVETTE told me: You are really coming into your own now.

I will not offer any SYMASYM-PCBs in the future anymore but will concentrate myself on an "Amplifier's Surrounding".

For example: a LDR-based attenuation is the best that I have ever listened to.
But even this one can be (theoretically only?) improved by a digitally controlled potentiometer (based upon MCP4151) being followed by a VCCS.

I have been an IBM - software-engineer for more than 35 years of my life.
So I will go on with this SYMASYM, a digitally controlled attenuation and RASPBERRY PI B+ INTERNET / WLAN connectivity and DAC for music-streaming and will exhaust my digital brain.

You are happlily invited to follow my digital intentions.

Best regards - Rudi

P.S.: I forgot to say that I am ccurently playing around with the TO3-P SANKENs 2SC3263 and 2SA1294.
But you can use any BJT TO3-P - (for example: NJW0) and even TO264 - transistor (like MJL) as well.

Attachments

• Image3.png
    Image3.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 509
  • SYMASYM.png
    SYMASYM.png
    337.5 KB · Views: 533
Last edited: