• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

TO-3 SYMASYM

Gentlemen, I have transferred my current "BlackBeauty - SYMASYM - Layout" to BirgerM., who owns the German diy-audio-shop.de - Platinen und mehr für Jedermann.

As Birger told me: he will be able to offer you the SYMASYM-PCBs (I do not know, if he will offer you "any hard-to-get-components") by the end of June.
I myself have grown too old to do group-buys anymore, doing too many commercial errors, ...

Best regards - Rudi

Attachments

• Sanken-SYMASYM.png
    Sanken-SYMASYM.png
    336.6 KB · Views: 521
Gentlemen, I have transferred my current "BlackBeauty - SYMASYM - Layout" to BirgerM., who owns the German diy-audio-shop.de - Platinen und mehr für Jedermann.

As Birger told me: he will be able to offer you the SYMASYM-PCBs (I do not know, if he will offer you "any hard-to-get-components") by the end of June.
I myself have grown too old to do group-buys anymore, doing too many commercial errors, ...

Best regards - Rudi
Sorry to hear Rudi, but I completely understand.

Rick

Best regards - Rudi
I didn't see a Rev # on that board, but it looks to be slightly different then the ones I have. Next generation perhaps? I'll take a closer look tonight. Is there anything 'significant' I should change on the original BlackBeauties that impact the sonics in a real audible way? I'm just a few days away from applying power and adjusting things. Maybe this weekend. My enclosure is due to arrive via DHL tomorrow.

Rick

I need a bigger chassis!

My enclosure showed up today so I'm now looking at my layout options. I had my doubts about the size of this chassis, and as you can see there won't be much room left over. I had intended to build Rudi's, media amp that will include other modules, but now may take a different approach with the Black Beauty amp.

This enclosure, the B32120 from along is very nice and solid and provides plenty of HS space. But just enough room for a 500VA toroidal and the Black Beauties. Maybe I'll use it for my Honey Badger instead. ;) BTW, I don't mind putting in a shameless plug for along's eBay store. One of the best vendors to work with.

Rick

Attachments

• P1100800.jpg
    P1100800.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 457
  • P1100795.jpg
    P1100795.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 436
  • P1100794.jpg
    P1100794.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 424
Andrew, for EAGLE (the layout-editor that I am using) SV1-4 is just a 4-pole PCB connector (from Amphenol, Phoenix,...), and I must tell EAGLE to which track to connect the 4 poles.
EAGLE is not aware of the fact the SV1-4 connect to a transformer with 2 secondary windings or a center-tapped transformer.

I have described in the SYMASYM's Builder's Guide how to connect the used tramsformer to this PCB-connector in detail.

I have moved the "bleeder" resistors to the front of the fuses in my current layout.

Best regards - Rudi

P.S. Rick: as far as I can see, you have done a good job so far.
Please do not forget and put a cap on jumpers JP1 and JP2.
Rudi,

Just to be clear on this post and the original layout (Rev 2). What value should R40 and R42 be? AndrewT suggest they are too low to be effective. Is that your opinion as well? Can they be left off, or should I stick with 1R0 Ohm resistors? Wattage for those?

Thanks,
Rick

C47 to C50 look like they are MF local decoupling on the supply rails next to the four biggest current consumers.
They need to exceed the absolute maximum supply rail voltage, plus a little bit for mains spikes passing through the PSU.

If you have a 50V cap and run it on 49Vdc, it will last virtually forever, if you keep it cool.
If there are mains spikes, some may exceed that 1V you have spare. Any spike that exceeds 50V has a risk of removing a tiny bit of aluminium foil inside the capacitor. A million spikes a day each exceeding that 1V could remove a million little bits of aluminium foil, i.e. the cap has a limited life. You can increase the life by stopping, or attenuating, or reducing the number of, spikes that exceed the cap's maximum voltage.
Or you increase the caps maximum rating.

There is nothing wrong with running a 50V cap at 49.999V, nor with running a 35V cap at 34.999V

Rudi,

Just to be clear on this post and the original layout (Rev 2). What value should R40 and R42 be? AndrewT suggest they are too low to be effective. Is that your opinion as well? Can they be left off, or should I stick with 1R0 Ohm resistors? Wattage for those?

Thanks,
Rick
I can't find R40 & R42.
Are they in post1254?

Found them is the layout.
You don't make it easy for us !

Use quasimodo, or similar, to determine the snubbing resistance required for each transformer winding.

Last edited:
22k is a standard value in the E6, E12 and E24 ranges.
If they don't have it, then try getting your resistors from a different retailer that holds stock of the E24 range from 10r to 1M0

see rapidonline.com
Their 600mW 1% metal film are a good general purpose resistor. From Truohm, Vishay and recently Royal Ohm.