• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

TO-3 SYMASYM

Jean, Rick: if you really need the soldering-pins (you can as well solder the wires right into the pads): do not forget to order the counterparts as well.

Best regards - Rudi

Attachments

• ettinger.png
    ettinger.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 519
  • BB_Rev5 002.jpg
    BB_Rev5 002.jpg
    518.1 KB · Views: 539
I am a bit confused about power specifications of power resistor base stopper R22,24,35,80.
Rudi's Bom shows standard 0.5W while on M Bittner website or P Makura is specified to be 2W.
I have already bought the small powered ones and i dont know what is the real need for this position.
Thanks,
Adrian

What is the current rating of your base stopper?

P=I²R therefore I =sqrt(P/R)
The duty cycle is ~50% and the peak value is ~1.4 times the sinewave value, so you can double the current rating for the actual transient peak that is allowed to pass.

eg.
2r2, ½W, metal film, or metal oxide.
I=sqrt(0.5/2.2) = 0.476Amps
The peak transient for base stopper duty would be ~950mApk
That is an enormous base current into the output device !

A driver feeding a 2pr output stage and the driver Re would need to pass >2Apk.

Can your driver do that?

It's not the base stopper you should be asking about, rather it is the Driver temperature de-rated SOAR that is the bigger concern.

Thank you Andrew, knowledgeable as always. Another thing a bit unclear to me is how to choose the value of the volume pot.
In our case Symasym is having aprox 25k input impedance and lets say my signal source (dac) is having about 150ohm output impedance.
Also how a buffer on Symasym input would influence the choice of potentiometre value ?

Adrian

I will replace them with some better emitter resistors. I used what i had in my drawer for moment. The problem is that i have already a very good sounding Fc100 :)
Installed sockets for first two transistors to see if there is any difference between mpsa18 , bc550 and sk170 that i have already.
I have received from Reichelt some 8 mm spacers as in your recommended Bom. For what are those spacers , where should be installed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
...to see if there is any difference between mpsa18 , bc550 and sk170 that i have already.
Can you please tell us your experiences for this when your tests are made? Would be very interesting for me.

There are a few Designers that recommend jFETs for the input.

I have never compared a jFET input to a BJT input.
This may turn out to be my first comparison.
Any conclusions here in the meantime?

Regards,

Chris

Adrian, the spacers are used to mount the PCB on the heatsink (see the attached image).
When you are done: please do some tests and use 2SK170 and MPSA18 (be aware of the different pinouts of them) as input transistors and give us your impression.

Best regards - Rudi

Attachments

• SYS.jpg
    SYS.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 573
Of course i will share my findings with different input transistors but i think it will take some more time.
I am a bit confused about how the "cap multiplier" is working as he is more a regulator that a cap multiplier.
As he has a 36v zenner and i have 35v after rectification he will not be a regulator, it will be just a cap multiplier ? After voltage on regulator input increasing more than 36 v he will work as a regulator ?

Black Beauty v-1 PCB cut.

Adrian, the spacers are used to mount the PCB on the heatsink (see the attached image).
When you are done: please do some tests and use 2SK170 and MPSA18 (be aware of the different pinouts of them) as input transistors and give us your impression.

Best regards - Rudi

Hello Rudi. I have bought a pair of BB (first version) pcb.s from a DIY member and looking through the thread I found out that some cut the pcb.c (the psu) some do not. Does it have an impact on the amp performance or is just a matter of in case arrangement? Unfortunately I have not yet received the BOM and Builder Guide, if the guy fails to send them to me would you be so kind to help on the matter?
And let me tell you that the SymAsym Black Beauty pcb.s are realy beautiful. Good job Rudi.
Thanks a lot.