• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

TO-3 SYMASYM

Hallo !

Dann könnte man Fc-100 sammelbestlellung starten.wäre mit alles drumm und dran dabei mit einem stereo set.

Jean,

... but be aware of the breakdown voltage of the input differential transistor pair.
For example: VGDS of 2SK170 is −40 V! So: you will be "on the edge".

And yes: the TO3 version is the best sounding version of the SYMASYM in my ears as well, but cannot compete with the FC-100 in my ears.

Best regards - Rudi

If somebody wants to etch the TO3-SYMASYM - PCB by himself: feel free and use the attached layout.
Four tracks have to be wired manually.
The size of the PCB is 140 x 112mm.

Best regards - Rudi_Ratlos

Attachments

• TO_3_Symasym_V3._BRD.pdf
    91 KB · Views: 526
  • TO_3_Symasym_V3_SOL.pdf
    36.1 KB · Views: 438
Opinions?
Okay so I've raised the rail voltage to 40V and to follow Rudi's advice, tried different JFET's with higher breakdown voltage than the SK170's (50V or more rather than 40V). I've tried the following matched pairs, bias tuned to 13mA per R22 and my old ears can't tell the difference! (Value of Idss - don't know if value of 9mA is as important as for FC100)
1- Matched 2SK117's (6mA)
2- Matched 2N4393 (20mA) ie 1/2 of 2N5565
3- Single 2N5565 (10mA)
All require some pin re-adjustments. So before the final soldering touches, any opinions on which to go with? Should I measure something else?
Thanks.

I've realised that an impending move, a child and other commitments mean I won't get around to building the TO-3 Symasym in the foreseeable future, so if anybody is interested in sets from this group buy, they can send me a PM. I'd like to pass them on before my move so I have less stuff to deal with.

Last edited:
Gentlemen, I have been asked to do another round of group-buy for the TO3_SYMASYM.
Be sure: the TO3-SYMASYM is the best-sounding SYMASYM.

The SYMASYM - schematics include 2 pairs of TO3-MJ21195/96 as output transistors and a cap-multiplier for a stabilized frontend-voltage/current
and input-transistor protection.

I have once more re-worked the layout and made it as compact as possible. The size of the PCB is now 140 x 112 mm.
You need an ALU-L - profile 50x50x5 mm, length: 140mm to mount the TO3s on them.
I will also offer PSU-PCBs in this group-buy.

I do not offer any components.
The SYMASYM does not use any fancy components. The TO3s can be easiy ordered from MOUSER, ..., you can use 2SK170, BC550, 2N5551, ...,
as input transistors, ... I have prepared a Builder's Manual and a BoM.

I will keep this group-buy alive until weekend 13th/14th of April.
Your orders are welcome. Find attached the EXCEL with the current order-list.
Worldwide shipping costs 3.45€.
You can use PAYPAL to transfer the total sum to: RRozek@t-online.de

Attachments

• Image1.png
    Image1.png
    61.9 KB · Views: 668
  • Image2.png
    Image2.png
    40.5 KB · Views: 665
  • Image3.png
    Image3.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 635
Rudolf: from your order I can see that you are going to build 2 mono-blocks (either in one case or two cases).
You need the "Soft-Power-On - PCB" only in case that you switch on the mains with a "transformer-load" of more than 500VA.
So you won't need it.

Regarding the Speaker-Protection-PCB: if there is any further demand (more than 10 pcs.), I will be able and offer you
my Speaker-Protection-PCB for 5€ per PCB.

Attachments

• Image1.png
    Image1.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 601
@Rudi_Ratlos: jep, monoblock is the way to go. I am also assembling a DCB1 buffer to go in front of the symasyms, and i wanted one switch to start them all (via relais), hence the thought that a soft starter might be a good idea.

Just out of curiosity, is there anything else boiling in your kettles groupbuy-wise?

Regards,

the other Rudi