• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

TO-3 SYMASYM

Carl, what is up? I did not hear from you for quite a lot time.
Did you receive the PCBs?

I have finished the "1st floor" (small resistors, diodes and capacitors) this morning.

Best regards - Rudi_Ratlos

Attachments

• Heute 014.jpg
    Heute 014.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 652
Carl, please check the polarity of C4 / 470µF / 16V.

I will have a closer look at it later on.

The MICA capacitors that your ordered, are very good!

I ordered the wrong ones, :mad: ,with a much too wide grid and too thick legs, and I spoiled the nail-file of my spouse. O dear!

Carl: you do not have to do a new DIGIKEY-order for the 22K resistors!
They are just to delimit the current flowing through the LEDs!
Take a 10K, 6K8, 4K7, ..., use Ohm's law: 35V rail-voltage - 2V forward drop across the LED - divided by some mA - giving the value of the resistor.

Last edited:
Ryan,
a transformer with 2 x 28VAC secondaries will give you about +/- 39VDC (roughly) after rectification.
Please take in account deviations in mains voltage, ..., as well.

This voltage may be critical for "sensitve" input transistors, like the 2SK170.

I therefore recommend you to solder the cap-multiplier and use a Z036 Zener-diode so that the frontend's voltage will be delimited to 35.3V (roughly).

Best regards - Rudi

Rudi,
Do I understand you correctly: I only need to replace the 33V zener with a 36V zener in the cap multiplier for safe operation at 39V rails?

Thanks,
Ryan

Ryan, I advise you to buy 2 pairs of 36V and 39V - Zener Diodes and measure them before use.
Zener diodes usually have an allowance (tolerance) of 10%!

If you want to use your 2 x 28VAC transformer and want your input transistors (f.e. 2SK170) being protected from damage
due to over-voltage (Vgds = 40V !), then use a 39V Zener (resp. 36V).
This will delimit the frontend-voltages to 38.4V (35.4V respectively).

The one, who has the best knowledge, how to operate a SYMASYM from higher voltages than 25VAC, is EVETTE.

As far as I remember, EVETTE operates one of his SYMASYMs from +/-50 VDC.

Joseph: is there anything you changed (exept rail-capacitors) to operate the SYMASYM from such high voltages?
Which type of input transistors did you use?