• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Group Buy: Fane 8M Studio 50 units production run

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hallelujah!

John just sent me an email telling me that he has received the Fane 8M sample. A very preliminary visual inspection shows the driver is near indistinguishable cosmetically from the vintage drivers.

John has sent the following queries to Fane:

Looking at the test data you enclosed, I have a couple of questions: -
1. Can you confirm that the impedance plot is free-air (i.e. without the added mass of 32.4 grams)
2. When you added the mass to obtain the extended T-S parameters, how was this added (was it simply a ring of blue-tack applied to the bottom of the cone just above the dust cap or something else)?
3. What were the conditions for obtaining the frequency response curve: -
a. Was the driver mounted in a cabinet or on a baffle - if so, what size was the baffle and where was the driver mounted in relation to the baffle edges?
b. Was the microphone on-axis and if so, at what distance (1m?)
c. Has any post-process smoothing been applied to the measurement and if so how much (1/3 octave etc)?

I will of course update this thread as soon as the tests have been carried out.

Looking forward, I would expect to be in a position to give the go-ahead to Fane sometime next week to start production.

Best regards
Rakesh

Fane's (belated) response regarding their in-house testing procedures

Hello everyone,

It took a while but we have finally obtained a response from Fane so that John should be able to carry out some tests in the next few days.

Hi John,
We have very strict component QC, to a very high tolerance, so the end QC result starts at this point. Cone pistons are manufactured to +/- 4% in weight, and assembly weights are maintained at +/- 5%In production we have different ways of testing depending on the customer and the product. High end products are tested using NTI. FQ CURVE Typically +/- 1.5DB over band width, unless otherwise specified.This system tests the full specification of the stored units data. FQ,TSP ( prior to power test) everything that can be checked is checked, the system checks the unit for rub and buzz against a stored noise floor for the specific driver. After this the unit is manually tested and a frequency sweep for distortion manually done by the operator. Standard Products are manually tested against a golden standard, but only the FQ curve is checked, not TSP.The FQ CURVE typically +/- 3db over band width.Periodically one production unit will be subjected to full R&D evaluation and reference data taken and stored to check the product is in alignment with the published specifications. Hope this helps.
With best regards
Mark OldroydTechnical / Operations Director

I am nearly sure we will be in a position to confirm the order by Friday this week (1st of July. Yes I know!)

Best regards
Rakesh

Cheers

Good news Rakesh .
This seems OK - timescale moved a little, but this is commercial business with a 'custom' order, so it's no surprise to me ; I understand as I work in special optics manufacture !
Luckily my horn construction has slowed down in sympathy .
Should be good !
Mark

Hi Mark,

I am myself rather disappointed with the delay as I wanted to have the drivers ready before the summer holidays.

John has spent quite some time testing the sample unit and the figures are very close to the specifications. In addition, I myself went to visit a friend who has a 140Hz tractrix with original Fane drivers and using the rather less advanced tools at our disposal, came to pretty much the same conclusion, the drivers are in terms of their specs very close to the older units.

The order will be placed tomorrow. I will post another update once Fane confirms receipt of the order.

Best regards
Rakesh

Confirmation of order from Fane

Hello everyone,

We have just received a written confirmation of our order from Fane. I am copying the email below:

Hello John,

Sorry for my delayed reply, Thank you for e-mailing across your official purchase order!
I have authorised your order with production so we shall now proceed to place our order for materials to manufacture your order. Lead time will be 6 weeks as discussed As soon as your goods are ready we will let you know.

Best Regards
Daniel Barnes

Well, we are getting there...

Best regards
Rakesh

Hello everyone,

I do not really have any news but thought it was worth updating this thread anyway. The summer holidays are here and I am going with my family to France next week and will be there most of August. I will be back in the UK for a few days in August and if the drivers are ready then, I will ship then on. All in all, I would suggest it is safe to assume that the drivers will eventually ship in early September.

Best regards
Rakesh

Hello everyone,

I chased Fane with regard to shipping date and have received this email from Daniel in response:

Dear Rakesh,
Good Afternoon,
I have spoken with production and we are aiming to have your order ready for despatch next week We have a had a few supply issues which have placed us a little behind schedule, however we are working to have your order ready as soon as possible As soon as we have a confirmed ship date for you we will let you know
Best Regards
Daniel Barnes
FANE INTERNATIONAL LTD

Best regards
Rakesh

Hello everyone,

I have just received the following email from Daniel of Fane International.

Hi Rakesh,

Good Morning, we hope that you are well?

Just a quick update; your order is beingcompleted today and will be ready for shipment on Tuesday

Please can you confirm the address youwould like your goods sending to?

Best Regards

Daniel Barnes

I was in the UK from the 17th to 24th of August when the Fane 8Ms were supposed to be delivered. But now that they are finally ready I am back in France and will be here until September 7th. I will be able to have the speakers shipped to me for the 9th of September. I will start organising shipping that week-end and hopefully the speakers will be shipped in the course of the following week.

I would like to say that I am ecstatic and pleased that this whole project has now come to an end. But I will be cautious and say that I will wait for the speakers to have reached my place before celebrating.

Best regards
Rakesh

P.S Two persons got in touch about some of the spare units that I have but in the end decided not to proceed after getting me to get quotes for shipping etc. Please check the quotes for shipping already posted for Europe, the US and Australia and you probably should be able to get a fair idea of shipping costs. So next time, could those who are interested please try to make up their minds before sending me on a fool's errand looking for cheapest shipping quotes before saying you actually will not be building upper bass horns!

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I apologise as this is clearly off topic but I will be forgiven a slight breach of etiquette i hope. You can see some pics of my 115Hz horns to accomodate the Fane *M drivers being built by maestro Russ Collinson on the following thread on Romy's forum:

GoodSoundClub - Romy the Cat's Audio Site - Le Horn - really Upper bass 115Hz Horns

It would be quite fair to say that I would not have pursued this project this far without the inspiration and invaluable insights I gained from his site, although what enabled the whole thing to materialise is the assistance of generous souls who took an interest in what I am trying to achieve.

Best
Rakesh

Last edited:
Good work on the horns, Rakesh . I need to look into those in more detail, may need them if my rectangular ones don't work out .

Now, am I to understand that the drivers will be shipped out individually to the various customers, now ?
...or do they have to come via you somehow ?
I could really use these drivers now, as I'm not having much luck with the B&C 8PE21's .

Mark

Hi Mark,

I could have used the drivers around May time myself so I would not have had to worry about the whole shipping side of things during this much needed break for me and my family.

The drivers are not ready until Tuesday next week according to Fane and I am afraid that they can only be shipped on the pallet to one address, which is mine.

Best regards
Rakesh

Latest update from Fane:

Hi Rakesh,
Sorry for the delay to your order, unfortunately a few parts needed to complete your order were delayed by our supplier. We are pleased however to inform you that your goods are now ready for shipment. We shall arrange despatch to the address you have provided on the 7th September for delivery on the 8th

Best Regards
Daniel Barnes
FANE INTERNATIONAL LTD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.