• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

R-core transformers in UK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been looking for a source of R-Core transformers in UK, without much success - I wanted transformers made specifically for audio use, with extra inter-winding shield and outer magnetic shielding. As I have been unable to find any source that would be able to supply custom units, I decided got in touch with a manufacturer in China and after exchanging a few polite emails, they agreed to make a small run of custom transformers for me.

The prices currently work out at:
- 50VA, Pri 230V, Sec 12-0-12V (2.1A x2) = £40
- 50VA, Pri 230V, Sec 9-0-9V (2.8A x2) = £41
- 300VA, Pri 230V, Sec1 22-0-22V, Sec2 22-0-22 (3.5A x2) = £85 [ie. for a Gainclone]

These are rough estimates as the exchange rate may change and also making a payment may entail some bank fees (I'm investigating this);
the prices do include delivery from China, but if you don't live in Lancashire, please allow for some UK postage.

If there is more people interested, the price will go down as postage is murderous for single units. Well, it's still murderous for multiple trafos, but quite a bit less so ;)

Anyone who is interested, or has a suggestion of a different trafo, please leave me a message in this thread, and I will get back to you asap.

Yes, I know of seletronic, they would work out cheaper, but the specification of their transformers doesn't mention any shielding, so I'm assuming it's not included. In my opinion inter-winding shield is an absolute requirement in a transformer meant for audio use because inter-winding capacitance is where a lot of noise gets into the audio system.

Centre - tapped is not a problem actually as you could join two 0-9V windings into one 9-0-9V.

If I don't hear from anyone by the end of the week I will order on my own.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
hey, those 300VA are dual mono trafos
each 'only' 150VA

and quite expencive

if you want special 'audio quality', try contact Toroidy.pl
seems very reliable

or if you can find a local firm who builds old style UI-core
those can be very good too

Attachments

• IMG_2355 (Large).JPG
    IMG_2355 (Large).JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 1,378
Thanks tinitus, I am already using toroids custom made for me by Mr Lachowski from toroidy.pl ;)

While I believe they will be hard to beat in powering a solid-state amplifier, I am not so sure about my CD player and DAC. Toroids have inherently (relatively) high inter-winding capacitance, and even with a shield between windings I suspect they may be letting in a bit too much mains noise for a digital component.

So I decided to try the R-cores and while I was at it, I thought I might as well ask if someone wants to join the order ;)

That's actually well spotted... Now that I looked at the pdf again, it does say "Ecran" on one of the drawings...

The trafos in Selectronic are a lot more expensive than the actual prices I got from the manufacturer (approx 13$ for a 50VA trafo), but the postage is likely to be a lot less, so in the end it may work out cheaper. I'll check it.

Hi, superhkm, my attention got diverted to other things, and I still haven't placed an order (although I'm planning to do so soon), so I could order them for you. Postage to Norway will cost extra - although this may partly balance itself out, because with your transformers included the order will be larger and the price per unit will work out less expensive. Let me know if you want me to go ahead.

Hi Uncle_leon,
How's luck with the custom make R-core transformer ?
I also interested in this one,
- 300VA, Pri 230V, Sec1 22-0-22V, Sec2 22-0-22 (3.5A x2) = £85 [ie. for a Gainclone] but with 350-400VA for dual mono.

I also try to look for R-core for CD and GC (just like you).

Hi uncle_leon,
Hope you have a nice holiday. I am going to order 1 R-Core transformer with 9V+12V for the singaclone from ebay and see how it will perform. I also have been sourcing for the BG in HK. I also took out a few 4.7u 50V from my old tube pre-amp. The difficult one will be the enclosure and a nice CD puck.

Best regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.