• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

JLH RE Power Throughput Limit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys,
(As some of you will already know) I am an electrical numptie so I need some guidance from you more knowlegeable ones. I have one un-CL'd JLH RE and I want to supply power to two Mini-T amps. My plan is to see what improvements, if any, will be gained by using one Mini-T to feed the lower frequencies to both speakers and the other Mini-T to feed the upper frequencies to both speakers.
The Mini-Ts are offered with two wallwart PSU options, one supplying 2A and the other supplying 5A, both of 12V DC. The manufacturer states that the Mini-T will work fine with a 2A supply but may give a better bass response when supplied with 5A. I have two 5A PSUs.
My question is: -
Would I be safe, both electrically and audio-wise, by feeding the output of both 5A PSUs into one JLH RE and then, in turn, splitting the output from the JLH RE to supply both Mini-T amps? My logic is that each Mini-T will work fine with a 2 amp supply and any demand above 2 amp each (4 amp total through the JLH RE) will be intermittent. On the other hand I have no wish to 'smoke' either the RE, Mini-Ts or any more expensive bits of my Kit - all advice gratefully received.
TIA,
Dave.

Dave
Although the JLH can work with a 2A supply when not using the current limiter, I would not recommend going above that, For starters the copper tracks were not meant to carry those kinds of currents, and it will almost certainly be ineffective with higher current low impedance power supplies.
Alex

Thanks.

Dave
Although the JLH can work with a 2A supply when not using the current limiter, I would not recommend going above that, For starters the copper tracks were not meant to carry those kinds of currents, and it will almost certainly be ineffective with higher current low impedance power supplies.
Alex

Hi Sandy,
Not the news I was hoping for :( but very much appreciated nontheless - saves me making an expensive mistake. I'll stick to the supplied PSUs ;) .
Thanks very much.
Dave.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.