• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

"Reference" TDA1541A DAC with I2S-BUS architecture

Surface Finish for future PCB´s

• ENIG - Electroless Nickle/Immersion Gold

Votes: 93 48.7%
  • Immersion Silver

Votes: 54 28.3%
  • Immersion Tin

Votes: 24 12.6%
  • OSP - Organic Solderability Preservatives

Votes: 20 10.5%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

Thanks to the wonderful community that helped me to build this:

Special thanks to dvbproject, salas and tea_bag :)

Enjoy!
Alex.

Attachments

• IMAG0617.jpg
    IMAG0617.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 594
  • IMAG0618.jpg
    IMAG0618.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 555
I have been using the Red Baron board with the built in current Buffer I/V Stage for quite some time, and I am very pleased with the sound.

I would like to have a bit more gain from I/V stage, as the output seems to be low.

Please let me know if anybody has any suggestions as to how this could be done?

All help will be very much appreciated.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I have been using the Red Baron board with the built in current Buffer I/V Stage for quite some time, and I am very pleased with the sound.

I would like to have a bit more gain from I/V stage, as the output seems to be low.

Please let me know if anybody has any suggestions as to how this could be done?

All help will be very much appreciated.

Hi,

i would recommend to PM John (ecdesigns), because it´s his I/V Stage on the Red Baron. ;)

Hi there.

Could you tell me please the maximum current draw of the 5V TDA1541A Salas shunt regulator Module? It's been a long while since I built it, and I cannot remember this information. I'd like to use it with a Chord Mojo, which I needs a 5V 1Amp power supply.

Thanks,

John.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi there.

Could you tell me please the maximum current draw of the 5V TDA1541A Salas shunt regulator Module? It's been a long while since I built it, and I cannot remember this information. I'd like to use it with a Chord Mojo, which I needs a 5V 1Amp power supply.

Thanks,

John.

Hi John,

1A is max current, but it produces a lot heat :redhot: and you need a big heatsink.

I think you should use another reg for 1A...:eek:

Best,
Oliver

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I have a fully populated red baron v5 board with the current buffer installed.
Recently completed a tube i zator board.
Can i take the current out off the board directly without removing the 2sk 216. ?
See attached picture.

To be save, remove the 2SK216. ;)

I understand Dvb Projekt ended the Red Baron awhile now, but can the Red Baron V5 pcb file be posted via link so we can continue for those late in the game?

Unfortunately my RB V5.0 files are blown away at a HD crash. :dead:

Best regards,
Oliver

Unfortunately my RB V5.0 files are blown away at a HD crash. :dead:

Best regards,
Oliver

It's really pity but I have at least got my hands on a Red Baron DAC that I am about to start building but I have a question about the SK170. I saw that Salas have changed the fets for SK117 in his SSHV shunt, is it possible to go the same way for the Red Baron or is it mandatory with SK170??
The price is major reason for asking but since Salas have changed the use of SK170 to SK117 I don't see no reason that it should not be possible doing the same here.

Ordered

It's really pity but I have at least got my hands on a Red Baron DAC that I am about to start building but I have a question about the SK170. I saw that Salas have changed the fets for SK117 in his SSHV shunt, is it possible to go the same way for the Red Baron or is it mandatory with SK170??
The price is major reason for asking but since Salas have changed the use of SK170 to SK117 I don't see no reason that it should not be possible doing the same here.

Ok, I ended up ordering the SK170BL anyway....

Since I am up to this project now and I realize that some information is gone bye bye I will have to ask questions and I hope someone out there is prepared to answer.

First question is about the High speed buffer, I have the Twisted Pear Opus WM8804 and will have to fix the High speed and if I can not get it via Oliver is it difficult to do it myself on a breadboard?? I will need some kind of schematics cause I am not the one who do (no electronical engineer), I repeat (the monkey with soldering iron) what others have come up with.

Second question, I understand that the DAC is needed for the signal but since I am not that experienced with the general build up of the signal path in a DAC I wonder what is needed to get the signal to the DAC board and then to the Output stage??

First question is about the High speed buffer, I have the Twisted Pear Opus WM8804 and will have to fix the High speed and if I can not get it via Oliver is it difficult to do it myself on a breadboard?? I will need some kind of schematics cause I am not the one who do (no electronical engineer), I repeat (the monkey with soldering iron) what others have come up with.

Second question, I understand that the DAC is needed for the signal but since I am not that experienced with the general build up of the signal path in a DAC I wonder what is needed to get the signal to the DAC board and then to the Output stage??

Questions are more or less cleared so I only have one little question to be answered before building the Red Baron; I understand that incoming signal can be of different kind but if a want to use incoming RCA signals, are they.... I2S or??
BNC is....??
and finally Toslink is.....??

Will all these mentioned connectors be connectable to, or via WavIo because that is what I intend to use as main input for the signal? I need help understanding this so please bare with me.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Questions are more or less cleared so I only have one little question to be answered before building the Red Baron; I understand that incoming signal can be of different kind but if a want to use incoming RCA signals, are they.... I2S or??
BNC is....??
and finally Toslink is.....??

Will all these mentioned connectors be connectable to, or via WavIo because that is what I intend to use as main input for the signal? I need help understanding this so please bare with me.

RCA, BNC or Toslink are S/PDIF signals. If you want to use this connections, you must have a S/PDIF to I2S converter.

The WaveIO converts USB to I2S. I hope that help ;)

Best,
Oliver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.