• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

"Reference" TDA1541A DAC with I2S-BUS architecture

Surface Finish for future PCB´s

• ENIG - Electroless Nickle/Immersion Gold

Votes: 93 48.7%
  • Immersion Silver

Votes: 54 28.3%
  • Immersion Tin

Votes: 24 12.6%
  • OSP - Organic Solderability Preservatives

Votes: 20 10.5%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
And for me, does the schematic looks OK?  I didn't shunted the I/V res. when soldered.
Still can't figure what would I do with two different voltage GND from DC ref. board common in the 3.5mm jack for headphone amp.
When I common I get different readings for DC voltage vs. when I measure each channel with it's own GND.

DC reference is used to obtain DC-coupled output by lifting output GND reference voltage to the same DC level as the I/V converter outputs.

When using two monoblocks it is possible to use two separate reference voltages in order to trim DC output to exactly 0V for each channel.

But when driving a headphone with common GND connection or a stereo (pre) amplifier we need a single GND reference.

I suggest to install a single 500 Ohms potentiometer for GND ref.

Connect both decoupling caps in parallel in order to double bypass capacitance. Then trim for lowest and equal DC-offset on both L and R outputs.

So remove both DC reference pots, put in one 470 … 500R pot and connect the decoupling cap of the other channel to the wiper of this pot. Then use the wiper of this pot as single GND reference.

DC offset differences between L and R channels are usualy caused by tolerances in the TDA1541A on-chip current reference sources.

This means we can null L/R channel DC-offset by fine tuning the I/V resistor value. Measure the voltage across both I/V resistors (after completing MOSFET current buffer trimming). Lower the I/V resistor value that has slightly higher voltage across it, so it exactly matches the voltage across the other I/V resistor.

The easiest way to do this is placing a suitable high ohmic resistor in parallel with the I/V resistor that has highest DC voltage across it.

Hello!

Thanks for the great response!

I'm not planning to use a second Red Baron DAC board (at least for now), so can I skip the DC reference PCB and use the common analog GND output and L & R output through capacitors?
If yes, what value to use, and maybe some recommendation? (Ampohm, Mundorf, PIO etc.)

Kind rgs,
Alex.

Red baron working !!

Thanks to John and Oliver .
The Red Baron is singing and I hope the wiring for the Dc reference module is OK . I manage to null the dc across the IV resistor.
I post my build and I hope my wiring is correct.
Anyway I have input caps in my pre .
Sounds very relax, 3D imaging. Outstanding high, mid and low .
Vocal is especially detail.
regards
kp93300

Attachments

• tda1541 red baron.jpg
    tda1541 red baron.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 580
Hi,

Red Baron is up and running. :)
I don't use anymore the reference DC module. I coupled direct the analog exit through 1uF capacitors, and now I have the common ground. Before caps I have ~1VDC.
I feed the signal to an O2 headphone amp that feeds HD600.

Sounds really nice even with those capacitors and crappy I/V resistors.
Now I have to make a nice housing and get some ''snake-oil'' resistors and caps.

Thanks a lot for your great support, and the patience to answer to my questions!

Kind rgs,
Alex.

Attachments

• IMAG0535.jpg
    IMAG0535.jpg
    589.4 KB · Views: 533
Joined 2009
Paid Member
End of Project

Dear diyaudio friends,

after now 7 years, my TDA1541A DAC project comes to the end.

It was a great pleasure to develop this project with much help from the community.

Thank you all, you were GREAT!

My special thanks goes to John -ecdesigns- for his support over the years.

In the next days i will disassemble all parts of my own DAC for sale. :smash:

For those who are interested, stay tuned to my blog. You will find the parts with prices shortly.

Audiophlile Greetings
Oliver
:wave:

P.S.: A few PCB´s from the project are still in stock

Thank you Oliver for all the work you have put into this project! I still have my Red Baron, I'm still enjoying it every day - and I'm still tweaking it. It looks like a mess but with this D3a output stage it sounds really excellent.

Attachments

• VIB_8355.jpg
    VIB_8355.jpg
    941.2 KB · Views: 398
  • VIB_8356.jpg
    VIB_8356.jpg
    1,011.7 KB · Views: 388
  • VIB_8357.jpg
    VIB_8357.jpg
    987.3 KB · Views: 377
Hi Oliver,
I feel I'm really lucky not being late with Red Baron acquisition. During the Christmas season I managed to assembly it with Ians fifo kit and this composition sounds amazing! Although its only with I2S connection and with simple TDA1541A chip, still having the possibility to improve.
Thank you for the great music player device!
Gábor

I managed to assembly it with Ians fifo kit Gábor

Is there any chance of seeing a pic of your work? I got sort of stuck with my FIFO kit but a pic might just get me going again.

Meanwhile, many, many thanks to Oliver for his work and for his patient support over the years. I bought my first board way back in 2010 (a friend is still using it) and have been using and enjoying TDA1541 DACs ever since. The forum has been a pleasant place to visit over the years.

Best wishes

Dave

OK guys, lets see how I can upload pictures (first time for me here)

Some comments.
- this is not the final version, kind a breadboard, just to see whether it works or not
- transformers are pulled out from previous projects
- I2S to PCM modul is missing, I'm on the group buy list as you may see
- I2S connection is made with Ian's connector, just the ground wires are extracted exept for 1 piece
- Crystek CCHD 957 45MHz oscillator is installed, 49MHz one is still what I got from Ian - not so important for me
- all B+ are chinese printed boards, populated with CREE SiC diodes and LM317 regulators, Black gate capacitors. Regulator IC-s will be replaced by more sophisticated ones, but I have not decided which ones.
- current/voltage converter resistors are 47 ohm Z foils
- analog section is made with 6072 tubes
- annoying that the spdif board wakes always with optical source as default, a switch needs to be wired to the front to switch to coaxial source which I use
Any question?
Regards, Gábor

Attachments

• DSCN0024.JPG
    DSCN0024.JPG
    545.4 KB · Views: 411
  • DSCN0025.JPG
    DSCN0025.JPG
    637.3 KB · Views: 390
  • DSCN0026.JPG
    DSCN0026.JPG
    562.3 KB · Views: 379
  • DSCN0027.JPG
    DSCN0027.JPG
    641.9 KB · Views: 371
Thanks!
- the analog section is really a Kondo style with an anode follower and a Cathode follower next. The currents are increased a bit because I used lower anode resistor - 62K - and lower cathode resistor - 68k - well, the chance to have 2W Shinkohs is a bit limited and I had these on the self.
- if you go with I2S then you do not need SPDIF board, the widest green one on my picture.
- You need a FIFO board,
- a clock module - you should choose which one, I suggest the dual XO board which I use but please follow Ian's recommendation and replace the generic oscillator with at least a Cristek CCHD 957 xxMHz one. Or if you are a maximalist, you can choose an OCXO instead at a price of 10*.
- all above were the minimum. In this case you will have a reclocked FIFO with a precise I2S input-output.
- you can further improve the system with an Isolator board - I have one but not yet installed. It's not a must, you can live without.
- some states that the best ever is the I2S to PCM board which transforms the I2S signal to the PCM which the dac chip expects directly. Since I was late for the last group buy, I could not buy this board, because Ian had run out of them.
- Ian's power supplies - the actual digital installation needs only one +5V power supply, because the boards supply each other. But if you use an I2S isolator board, you will need one more +5V. I think when I have a PCM board, I will need a plus +5V. You can see a sidebar regulator for 3,3V, which uses the main 5V, this board supply the oscillators. You can use here another +3,3V regulator or a battery. I suggest to start with Ian's TPS7A based board and replace If needed. The Red Baron needs 4 different voltages, as yo can see on the board.
Well, I handed over 2-3 months information gathering :cool: I strongly recommend to read through Ian's manual in order not to make mistakes. In Ian's each posts you can find exactly the link to the manuals.
Cheers,
Gábor

Joined 2009
Paid Member
OK guys, lets see how I can upload pictures (first time for me here)

Some comments.
- this is not the final version, kind a breadboard, just to see whether it works or not
- transformers are pulled out from previous projects
- I2S to PCM modul is missing, I'm on the group buy list as you may see
- I2S connection is made with Ian's connector, just the ground wires are extracted exept for 1 piece
- Crystek CCHD 957 45MHz oscillator is installed, 49MHz one is still what I got from Ian - not so important for me
- all B+ are chinese printed boards, populated with CREE SiC diodes and LM317 regulators, Black gate capacitors. Regulator IC-s will be replaced by more sophisticated ones, but I have not decided which ones.
- current/voltage converter resistors are 47 ohm Z foils
- analog section is made with 6072 tubes
- annoying that the spdif board wakes always with optical source as default, a switch needs to be wired to the front to switch to coaxial source which I use
Any question?
Regards, Gábor

TOP Gábor, thumbs up! :)

Thanks!
- the analog section is really a Kondo style with an anode follower and a Cathode follower next. The currents are increased a bit because I used lower anode resistor - 62K - and lower cathode resistor - 68k - well, the chance to have 2W Shinkohs is a bit limited and I had these on the self.
- if you go with I2S then you do not need SPDIF board, the widest green one on my picture.
- You need a FIFO board,
- a clock module - you should choose which one, I suggest the dual XO board which I use but please follow Ian's recommendation and replace the generic oscillator with at least a Cristek CCHD 957 xxMHz one. Or if you are a maximalist, you can choose an OCXO instead at a price of 10*.
- all above were the minimum. In this case you will have a reclocked FIFO with a precise I2S input-output.
- you can further improve the system with an Isolator board - I have one but not yet installed. It's not a must, you can live without.
- some states that the best ever is the I2S to PCM board which transforms the I2S signal to the PCM which the dac chip expects directly. Since I was late for the last group buy, I could not buy this board, because Ian had run out of them.
- Ian's power supplies - the actual digital installation needs only one +5V power supply, because the boards supply each other. But if you use an I2S isolator board, you will need one more +5V. I think when I have a PCM board, I will need a plus +5V. You can see a sidebar regulator for 3,3V, which uses the main 5V, this board supply the oscillators. You can use here another +3,3V regulator or a battery. I suggest to start with Ian's TPS7A based board and replace If needed. The Red Baron needs 4 different voltages, as yo can see on the board.
Well, I handed over 2-3 months information gathering :cool: I strongly recommend to read through Ian's manual in order not to make mistakes. In Ian's each posts you can find exactly the link to the manuals.
Cheers,
Gábor

Thank you so much for taking the time. This is just the information I (and probably several others) needed.

I would like to thank Oliver for the Red Baron project and his generous support to the DIY community over the years.

I have been using the Red Baron 5.0 and the Olivers Tube-I-Zator board for a couple of months, and so far I am very impressed with the result.

But my build seems to suffer from some kind of grounding issue. When I play music through my DAC, and I touch the volume control or the enclosure of my TVC preamplifier (Stevens & Billington) there is a hum through the speakers. The problem is only there when I listen to my Red baron DAC.

When I listen to my Salas Folded simplistic RIAA or my old DAC there is no such hum.

It is not a huge problem, as the hum isn't there unless I touch my preamlifier, but I would certainly like to eliminate the problem once and for all.

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.