• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

"Reference" TDA1541A DAC with I2S-BUS architecture

Surface Finish for future PCB´s

• ENIG - Electroless Nickle/Immersion Gold

Votes: 93 48.7%
  • Immersion Silver

Votes: 54 28.3%
  • Immersion Tin

Votes: 24 12.6%
  • OSP - Organic Solderability Preservatives

Votes: 20 10.5%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Same problem here

Yesterday I fired it up finally for the 1st time :)
Wow... I even got some music at the output :D
Bad point is that there is so much noise/ hiss/ digital distortion (?!) and it's very loud!

Checked all the power supply, the voltages are correct.
The settings on spdif transceiver are soldered as on the pics 2,3,4 (tried setting AIF/CONF0 to "-" but that didn't change anything, same noise).

I2S is connected in the following way:
BCK -> BCK
LRCK -> FS
DOUT -> Data
GND -> I2S GND

should be correct I suppose?!

Tried with a scope:
-square wave on spdif output of toslink converter
-BCK & LRCK showed square wave as well
-DOUT showed something weird (should it be square wave as well here?)

Would appreciate any advice!:)

Hi,

I am having the same issue with the twisted pear audio receiver. Sound but with hiss and distorted... I have checked the voltages and looks fine. I think that the problem could be the 24 bit output of this receiver? So I would like some advise for this problem and if somebody could point me to a spdif receiver compatible with the 4.0 Red Baron Dac. The dac I suppose is working ok due to,it was a working one from Oliver who sold it on offer to me so...

Regards,

Jorge

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Twisted Pear SPDIF to I2S module with Red Baron

Hi,

I am having the same issue with the twisted pear audio receiver. Sound but with hiss and distorted... I have checked the voltages and looks fine. I think that the problem could be the 24 bit output of this receiver? So I would like some advise for this problem and if somebody could point me to a spdif receiver compatible with the 4.0 Red Baron Dac. The dac I suppose is working ok due to,it was a working one from Oliver who sold it on offer to me so...

Regards,

Jorge

Hi Jorge,

with the Twisted Pear SPDIF to I2S converter you must do the 3.3V I2S mod., or insert the UHS-Buffer module in bewteen.

I would recommend to do the 3.3V mod!

Cheers,
Oliver

:wave:

It is already done...by you...

Hi Jorge,

with the Twisted Pear SPDIF to I2S converter you must do the 3.3V I2S mod., or insert the UHS-Buffer module in bewteen.

I would recommend to do the 3.3V mod!

Cheers,
Oliver

Hi Oliver,

Glad to hear you...

My Red Baron 4.0 is one I bought from you with the 3.3V mod already done. Don't you remember? It should be working fine as it... I do not know what is going on and I need a BNC SPDIF input because I do not use USB audio. If I can not have a solution, could you sell me a UHS module?

Regards,

Jorge

Yes...perfect & stable 3.3v

Ahh sure... :eek:

Did you power the Digital in with 3.3V ?

Yes, I did...

Also in a previous purchase, I bought from you the power supply's and the salas shunt modules. I modified as you told me, the +5V to 3.3V and the modified salas shunt module works perfectly and stable at 3.3V.

The TP module is powered from the +5V line. In its manual states a power supply from 5 to 7.5, the later preferred. Could be this the problem?

Regards,

Jorge

More info and more confused....

Hi friends,

A little update. I have managed to install another receiver, the TP 4x1, CS8416 based. Last night did not lock to the spdif signal, it was 4 am and I went to bed. This evening, I retried it without any cable connected at it's outputs and voila... Lock led lit... I then reconnected the outputs while the dac was on, and I am hearing this awesome kit singing...

BUT......THERE IS ANOTHER ISSUE NOW...

If I shutdown the dac and then reconnect it ( as everybody normally do....:D) the receiver DOES NOT LOCK... I have to shut it down, disconnect the outputs, turn on dac and reconnect them after locking led lit....:eek:

Any ideas? I am in the process of opening the window and imagine next....

Regards,

Jorge

Another clue.....

Hi friends,

I have made this morning another try...

If I start the DAC before the source, the receiver locks on the spdif signal.... As I said before it sounds (when it does...) fantastic!!!!!

But if I start it AFTER the source, nothing....! No signal lock...:mad:

I am using for testing purposes, my computer with an USB to coax Musiland Monitor 01 2013 version. Also I have tested a M2tech Hiface version 1. With both digital interfaces the problems arise, with the WM8804 distorted sound and with the CS8416 locking problems as I have explained before.

Another doubt I have is: Does the Red Baron Dac support 24 bits 96 KHz.? I made the error not check the config of the Musiland and it was set at 24/96... But if the receiver locks with the signal, it is wonderful....:confused:

More to come....

Regards,

Jorge

hi guys!

made another few test and think I found the problem, it's spdif transceiver!

I forgot I have the Amanero board that I've just connected and the DAC started to sound properly! Then I checked the toslink converter I use before TPA's board and it's working fine as well with another DAC.

I've tried to start the dac first then the source, but was unlucky again unlike jcastellano.
Could there be some issue with the three position switch that I substituted with wires here?! though it looks fine I assume...

I've connected the scope to BCK pin and here is what I got.
Also I double checked all the joins on TPA board and it looks to be fine...:confused:

Attachments

• IMG_1695.jpg
    IMG_1695.jpg
    852.7 KB · Views: 378
Solved but no idea how....

Hi friends,

I have managed to make it work.... Let me, in my modest English, explain...

I had a (another) ;) TP module lying around... The Metronome. So I gave it a chance, just for try. I hook it with the WM8804 ( the one that made the hiss and noise with the music in the background ) and between the Red Baron and it works!! It is like an interface between both modules. I am already hearing it trough a headphones and a O2 amp, due to I have to make the enclosure for the transformers and the umbilical cable between dac and transformers. I have made several tests, cutting off the AC to the dac while music playing and no probs after switching back on, etc. Dead silent, no noise whatsoever, just music.

So in summary:

WM8804---->RED BARON= NOISE, POPS AND MUSIC IN THE BACKGROUND:mad:
CS8416------>RED BARON= RAMDOM SPDIF SIGNAL LOCKS:mad:
WM8804---->SRC4192----->RED BARON=PERFECT SOUND:D

Please, take this as an info, do not take it as a rule of thumb, it is my experience and my environment, maybe yours is different. In my case works BUT I DO NOT KNOW WHY IT DOES.....:scratch1:

The Metronome is config as 48khz as I do not know for sure the limits of the RED BARON in terms of sampling rate and bit depth. I will try 96khz soon and will report back.;)

Regards,

Jorge

The Metronome is config as 48khz as I do not know for sure the limits of the RED BARON in terms of sampling rate and bit depth. I will try 96khz soon and will report back.;)

Regards,

Jorge

Hi Jorge

Red Baron is limited by TDA1541.
It is 16 bit resolution, maximum 200kHz sampling rate in all modes (simultaneous or time multiplexed) by it's datasheet.

However Ian has tested it in simultaneous mode at 352,8kHz with his "Universal I2S-PCM driver board" (look into thread "Drive NOS AD1865/62,PCM1704/02/63,TDA1541 from FIFO: Universal I2S-PCM driver board").

So you should be successful at 96kHz/16 bit in I2S mode.

Regards

Saulius

Another doubt I have is: Does the Red Baron Dac support 24 bits 96 KHz.? I made the error not check the config of the Musiland and it was set at 24/96... But if the receiver locks with the signal, it is wonderful....:confused:

More to come....

Regards,

Jorge

It can not support 24 bits because the TDA1541A is a 16 bit chip. No problems with the sampling rate though, it can be has high as 352.8 KHz (Not sure if this is only when using simultaneous mode), the fs equivalent to 8x Oversampling. The problems I found with increasing sampling frequency is that THD also goes up when using 96KHz and up, probably caused by the lack of filter in the output. I only tested this with the ARTA, have not listened to music with such high sampling rates, so I can not say anything about that.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
any comments from Oliver would be very appreciated on how to connect TPA and RB dac and eliminate that hissing sound? :confused:

Hi dtses,

with the Red Baron V3.0 & V4.0 (without modifications) you need the UHS-Buffer in between.

If you did make the 3.3V I2S mod., i would say that you could omit the UHS-Bufer module. Unfortunately i could´t test this, because i had sold my TPA.

Hi Jorge

Red Baron is limited by TDA1541.
It is 16 bit resolution, maximum 200kHz sampling rate in all modes (simultaneous or time multiplexed) by it's datasheet.
However Ian has tested it in simultaneous mode at 352,8kHz
Saulius

TDA1541A sheet:
The high maximum input bit-rate and fast setting facilitates application in 8 x oversampling systems (44.1 kHz to 352.8 kHz or 48 kHz to 384 kHz) with the associated simple analog filtering function (low order, linear phase
filter).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.