• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

"Reference" TDA1541A DAC with I2S-BUS architecture

Surface Finish for future PCB´s

• ENIG - Electroless Nickle/Immersion Gold

Votes: 93 48.7%
  • Immersion Silver

Votes: 54 28.3%
  • Immersion Tin

Votes: 24 12.6%
  • OSP - Organic Solderability Preservatives

Votes: 20 10.5%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Announcement

The new Red Baron

aka TDA1541A DAC V4.0​

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The evolution brings the following changes

- Separate I2S-GND route to Digital-GND
- Separate Analog Output GND route
- Separate GND route for active divider decoupling caps to Analog-GND
- Modified active divider decoupling pads for better SMD 1210 caps soldering
- Onboard SOT353 footprint for fastest DEM-Synchronizer IC´s
- Un-interrupted ground plane
- MOSFET Source/Drain failure corrected

Still on the module

- Direct shunt voltage inputs with shortest onboard traces
- I2S In-/Outputs with shortest onboard traces
- I2S Attenuator and DEM Synchronizer
(by -ecdesigns-)
- Onboard Grounded-Gate MOSFET Current Buffer I/V Stage
(-ecdesigns- MK7 version)
- Separate GND-Trace for DEM-Synchroinizer
- Master/Slave connectors for parallel DAC module usage
and external I/V Buffer stages e.g.
Tube-I-zator & DDNF Stage
- no SMD Design[/B]

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The PCB has the following data:

Material: FR4 - 2mm
Layers: 2
Board size: 125x73 mm
Surface finish: Immersion Gold
Copper weight: 35µm
Soldermask: Both sides - red
Silkscreen: Legend on top

Comming soon...

:wave:

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi regal,

Why are the decoupling caps so far away from the TDA?

Keep in mind that my design is primarily a non SMD design!
The the decoupling caps trace length is 6.4mm max. with a resistance of 4mOhm. However, with a pure SMD design you could save the 4mOhm, but is this still audible... :rolleyes:
With this real short trace length it sounds fantastic, especially with John´s recommended SMD caps.

is the ground plan still cut in half under the TDA?

As you could see on the photo, the ground plane is complete uninterrupted on the top layer. Compare the differences between V3.0 and V4.0 in my blog.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Selling starts

The new Red Baron

aka TDA1541A DAC V4.0

The evolution brings the following changes

- Separate I2S-GND route to Digital-GND
- Separate Analog Output GND route
- Separate GND route for active divider decoupling caps to Analog-GND
- Modified active divider decoupling pads for better SMD 1210 caps soldering
- Onboard SOT353 footprint for fastest DEM-Synchronizer IC´s
- Un-interrupted ground plane
- MOSFET Source/Drain failure corrected

Still on the module

- Direct shunt voltage inputs with shortest onboard traces
- I2S In-/Outputs with shortest onboard traces
- I2S Attenuator and DEM Synchronizer
(by -ecdesigns-)
- Onboard Grounded-Gate MOSFET Current Buffer I/V Stage
(-ecdesigns- MK7 version)
- Separate GND-Trace for DEM-Synchroinizer
- Master/Slave connectors for parallel DAC module usage
and external I/V Buffer stages e.g.
Tube-I-zator & DDNF Stage
- no SMD Design​

The PCB has the following data:

Board size: 125x73 mm

In Stock

The price will be as followed:

Professional 2-Layer PCB: $15
Worldwide shipping: $ 9
Europe shipping: $ 5
paypal fee: 3,9%

A donation of $3 USD to diyAudio will be done for every pcb sold.

The DAC module V2.3 will still be available for those,
who want to use it without the TDA1541A Shunt module!

If you want to use the onboard Grounded-Gate MOSFET Current Buffer I/V Stage,
you need additionally the DC-Reference Module

Description

Because the Grounded-Gate Buffer is connected between the DAC output and the passive I/V resistor,
normally the I/V resistor is connected between the DAC output and GND,
you must get rid off the approx. 4V DC on each I/V resistor.
Therefore we must get a new reference GND for each channel.

The circuit is connected to the ref.+5V at the output of the buffer and GND,
with a decoupling cap for each channel.
By trimming each voltage so it exactly matches DC voltage on the I/V resistor,
the DC voltage between I/V resistor and reference becomes zero.
In other words, the DC component is removed without using a coupling cap.

Board size: 54x34 mm

Following parts are needed:
2* 2-Way vertical header; 5mm pitch - Mouser Part No.: 571-2828362
2* 470µF/min. 10V decoupling cap - Mouser Part No.: 647-RR71A471MDN1
2* 1K0 multiturn trimmer - Mouser Part No.: 652-3006P-1-102-LF

In Stock

The price for it is $9

Worldwide shipping: $ 4
paypal fee: 3,9%

You could see the setting points for the onboard I/V stage HERE.

Hi regal,

Keep in mind that my design is primarily a non SMD design!
The the decoupling caps trace length is 6.4mm max. with a resistance of 4mOhm. However, with a pure SMD design you could save the 4mOhm, but is this still audible... :rolleyes:

Hi Oliver,

nice upgrades, indeed :)
Solid ground plane especially, better soldering pads for 1210 too.

As you already have those PCBs in stock :D, so I will send you PM soon for order.

It would be fine if you show us layout of downside of your Red Baron.

got mine pack as well (V4, PS, DDNF)!

hell yeeeeee, these are just splendid, real hi-end product! and yes, it does worth every cent! I'll keep it on my table for few week to enjoy :D thank you, Oliver! Especially the red dac board is very sexy!

Has anybody gone for a different 10uf cap on DDNF board than Supreme? I was advice by Oliver to use EVO, but found that old Russian teflon caps are highly regarded and advised for DBC1 (output) and My Rev FE (input) and even superior or at least same quality as Supremes. The combination is FT3 + K75. So I wonder if anybody could provide any input on these. EVOs are fine with me, just like the look and dimensions (110x55) of K75 :D

hell yeeeeee, these are just splendid, real hi-end product! and yes, it does worth every cent! I'll keep it on my table for few week to enjoy :D thank you, Oliver! Especially the red dac board is very sexy!

Has anybody gone for a different 10uf cap on DDNF board than Supreme? I was advice by Oliver to use EVO, but found that old Russian teflon caps are highly regarded and advised for DBC1 (output) and My Rev FE (input) and even superior or at least same quality as Supremes. The combination is FT3 + K75. So I wonder if anybody could provide any input on these. EVOs are fine with me, just like the look and dimensions (110x55) of K75 :D

Hi,
I am using FT-3 .22 uF as a coupling cap in my tube amp. I feel that it is a good cap in this position, but please keep in mind that they are very large.

Joined 2009
Paid Member

The price performance ratio of the K75-10 is good. Also the sound is really nice.
Bypassed with a FT3 teflon is a good idea. Go ahead! ;)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I have to agree, Oliver is a gentleman and his boards seem first rate to me.

I just want to mention about a suggested supplier in the Red Baron BOM, Analog Metric, so others can be aware. I ordered a pair of the TDA1541A DACS from Analog Metric, and while they don't claim to be selling NOS, these DACs are definitely pulls. And pulled hard! Pry marks suggest one chip has been forced quite hard and the pins are corroded. No response from Analog Metric to emails over the last 2 weeks. Not suggesting Oliver is at fault for his recommended supplier just relating my experience.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I have to agree, Oliver is a gentleman and his boards seem first rate to me.

I just want to mention about a suggested supplier in the Red Baron BOM, Analog Metric, so others can be aware. I ordered a pair of the TDA1541A DACS from Analog Metric, and while they don't claim to be selling NOS, these DACs are definitely pulls. And pulled hard! Pry marks suggest one chip has been forced quite hard and the pins are corroded. No response from Analog Metric to emails over the last 2 weeks. Not suggesting Oliver is at fault for his recommended supplier just relating my experience.

Thanks for your experience. :eek:
I will immediately cancel Analog Metric from my BOM recommendation!

I had no problems in the past, but this is a no go! :mad:

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Oliver,

What are you personally using for I/V stage these days? Still Tube-i-zator, or do you prefer one of the other stages like the EC-designs 7 or DDNF? Can you describe some of the qualities of each type you've tried please.

Many thanks
Lucas

Hi Lucas,

a am still using the Tube-I-zator with a new I/V resistor, the Rhopoint Squaristor GG102A. This one clearly beats the TX-2575 i this position.
In my rig and with my B+ Tube-Rectifier and separate SSHV for each channel, it is still my favorite.

You could read a small review of the DDNF HERE.

The onboard MK7 I/V stage from John tend to the DDNF. Also very punchy.

In the end it depends on your rig and your taste.

Best regards,
Oliver

Hi,

I'm thinking to do something similar.

I'd like to ask if the I2S output at the FIFO reclocker is 3.3V, and if so, how do you find the I2S attenuators performing on the DAC board which have values set up for 5V?

Thanks,
Shane

Yes, the output is 3.3V. The sound is excellent. I'm not very good at "audio speak", but the bass attack and instrumental timbre is excellent. ZERO harshness in the upper frequencies.

To get The Red Baron to work, one way is to only use 1K resistors for each I2S input.

Yes, the output is 3.3V.
To get The Red Baron to work, one way is to only use 1K resistors for each I2S input.

Thanks for this.. there are so many pages on that ECdesign thread. After much reading I found post #4612.:rolleyes:

So, you're using 1k series resistors from DATA and WS to the respective inputs on the 1541A, and bias these inputs at 1.33V with 1k + 680 voltage divider across the 3v3 supply, with no series R or bias voltage for BCK input ?

Thanks,
Shane

Thanks for this.. there are so many pages on that ECdesign thread. After much reading I found post #4612.:rolleyes:

So, you're using 1k series resistors from DATA and WS to the respective inputs on the 1541A, and bias these inputs at 1.33V with 1k + 680 voltage divider across the 3v3 supply, with no series R or bias voltage for BCK input ?

Thanks,
Shane

BCK input gets a 1K resistor as well.

The three 1K resistors occupy (on The Red Baron) the 3K3, 3K3, and 100R positions. I2S input on DATA and FS is same as the board lists. BCK needs to go in the hole next to the new 1K resistor (occupying the 100R spot - trace connected).

I also cut the trace (TDA 1541A chip) from pin 3 to pin 4 and soldered a jumper from pin 4 to pin 5.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.