• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

"Reference" TDA1541A DAC with I2S-BUS architecture

Surface Finish for future PCB´s

• ENIG - Electroless Nickle/Immersion Gold

Votes: 93 48.7%
  • Immersion Silver

Votes: 54 28.3%
  • Immersion Tin

Votes: 24 12.6%
  • OSP - Organic Solderability Preservatives

Votes: 20 10.5%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi , I've built MK4 - a long time ago. Since just after finishing John published MK5 due to a kind of failure in MK4, I stopped listening. Sound was not bad at all, but my tubed AD1865 was better for my ears. So the TDA1541 has been laying around, waitin' for a better I/V. Just got all the parts for MK7 and have started to build it on a veroboard. Later then I'll build Johns newest PSU for his DAC. His approach seems good to me. All in all Olivers newest board will be perfect for me :)

Ernst

Ok... This may be too far out for many, but since i cannot do any physical mods at the moment due to my medical situation, i am forced to perform my mods in the mental domain only.

So... Here goes.... I am using 2 tda's in parallel. Would it make sense to power these with separate voltage rails (so 2 times +5/-5/+/-15v)?

Also, anybody experimented with instead of paralleling them, using them balanced (eg with i2s splitter), and followed by a balanced output stage (eg pass d1)?

Ok... This may be too far out for many, but since i cannot do any physical mods at the moment due to my medical situation, i am forced to perform my mods in the mental domain only.

So... Here goes.... I am using 2 tda's in parallel. Would it make sense to power these with separate voltage rails (so 2 times +5/-5/+/-15v)?

Also, anybody experimented with instead of paralleling them, using them balanced (eg with i2s splitter), and followed by a balanced output stage (eg pass d1)?

Too far out for me. :D

2 TDA1541As in parallel is luxurious. glorious and sumptuous. It's also impossible to get trans-conductance, as they pull precisely the same volts/amps for each millisecond you might measure, so 2 supplies makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Balanced I know little of. I never quite saw the point, considering the enormous extra cost.

All the best

NOS vs OS is the story behind that one. He likes OS.

He also says this Olifr DAC is the second best he's heard, so...

I'd like to try properly implemented OS too. Emphasis on the words "properly" and "implemented" (ie no 7220, but a better (more expensive) chip, sharing the same master clock, and fed from independent Salas shunts, etc.).

NOS vs OS is the story behind that one. He likes OS.

He also says this Olifr DAC is the second best he's heard, so...

I'm not so sure about that. NOS gave more top-end detail but still didn't match the two other players I'd heard which I thought were better. (Those were both OS) so it's not as clear-cut as that.

I'd like to try properly implemented OS too. Emphasis on the words "properly" and "implemented" (ie no 7220, but a better (more expensive) chip, sharing the same master clock, and fed from independent Salas shunts, etc.).

I have a PMD100 in the drawer waiting for me to get around to this very thing.

I'll post some piccies soon to show what I've done if anyone would like me to.

Lee.

I'm new to digital electronics. I have owned a number of expensive DAC units, but no longer desire to spend thousands on digital equipment which seems to change and get cheaper all the time. There seems to be no place to find a good explanation between the different forms of digital input, eg TOSLINK, SPDIF, USB and I2S. My ultimate goal is to store my music in wav files and play them with a simple DAC. I read that I2S is the simplest format and it eliminates a lot of clocking issues etc. If I build this DAC, what else would I need to get the music data from a drive on my network to the DAC .

As i went further on the audio path, i purchased myself a small EEE mini pc.
The thing has a SD cardreader, my goal is,was to play music wiithout any moiving part's
like cd,Lp Tape etc. It play's very well via USB out.
I am still waiting for Dac V3.
For new comers i can reccomend this project!!
Groet anton

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.