• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

"Reference" TDA1541A DAC with I2S-BUS architecture

Surface Finish for future PCB´s

• ENIG - Electroless Nickle/Immersion Gold

Votes: 93 48.7%
  • Immersion Silver

Votes: 54 28.3%
  • Immersion Tin

Votes: 24 12.6%
  • OSP - Organic Solderability Preservatives

Votes: 20 10.5%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I hope it will... Sorry for the mess, i have been trying quite some things to find the problem.

How do i check whether spdif signal is locked? What is the expected output voltage at tda output?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Thanks for your help...

Ok, so that should not be the problem.

I read somewhere that i should read 3-4V dc at the output of the tda. Can somebody confirm that, because I dont get that?

Also if i put in a test resistor to ground, i would expected at least voltages that vary with the music. I dont get that.

I do get i2s signal that varies with the music though (on/off), so my working hypothesis is that the i2s going to dac is ok.

Joined 2009
Paid Member

I read somewhere that i should read 3-4V dc at the output of the tda. Can somebody confirm that, because I dont get that?

Also if i put in a test resistor to ground, i would expected at least voltages that vary with the music. I dont get that.

I do get i2s signal that varies with the music though (on/off), so my working hypothesis is that the i2s going to dac is ok.

Normally you should measure some small AC (mV) at the output with connected I/V resistor.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
The I2S switch module (e.g. USB & SPDIF) is ready ;)

- separate relays for each I2S signal to get the maximum HF-Isolation
- based on the Takamisawa NA-5WK relay, witch has minimal HF-Insertion loss
- 2mm pcb
- Immersion Gold
- green soldermask on both side
- 35µm copper weight
- Board size 45mm x 35mm

The price for it is $8 (naked module as on the right side on the photo)

Worldwide shipping: $ 4
paypal fee: 3,9%

:wave:

Hi Oliver,

I've been reading over this thread the past couple of days, and my head is spinning to say the least. But very interesting.
I've assembled amps and modified preamps and cd players in the past, but have no experience with dacs.
I see you, and some other members are using 2 DAC module boards in your setups. Can you please tell me what the advantage of this configuration is?

Thank You,
Ned

Oliver,

I'm planning on building this dac with S/PDIF input from my cd transport only.
No USB. Using a T/P WM8804 receiver. So, I'm assuming I will need the following items, correct me if I'm wrong.

2x Power supply modules
1x TDA1541a shunt reg. module
1x Shunt reg module for 5v line
2x TDA1541a Dac modules (might as well do it right):cool:
1x Tube-I-Zater v2.0 module
2x NL17SZ02 adapter PCB
1x Ultra high speed buffer module

I don't need the I2S switch module since i'm not using usb, correct?

Let me know if I'm forgetting something. I would like e to get it all in one order.

Best regards,
Ned

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Oliver,

I'm planning on building this dac with S/PDIF input from my cd transport only.
No USB. Using a T/P WM8804 receiver. So, I'm assuming I will need the following items, correct me if I'm wrong.

2x Power supply modules
1x TDA1541a shunt reg. module
1x Shunt reg module for 5v line
2x TDA1541a Dac modules (might as well do it right):cool:
1x Tube-I-Zater v2.0 module
2x NL17SZ02 adapter PCB
1x Ultra high speed buffer module

I don't need the I2S switch module since i'm not using usb, correct?

:wave:

Let me know if I'm forgetting something. I would like e to get it all in one order.

Best regards,
Ned

Hi Ned,

not a must, but with the Salas HV-Shunt module is sounds much better ;)

hi,

if I2S timing is ok and input data values are zero, one TDA1541 output has -2mA current output offset.
So with connected I/U resistor (let say 25 Ohm) between output and analog ground you should have about 50mV negative DC offset on output in silence.
If two parallel outputs are connected, those will sink 4mA from the source (AGND) via I/U resistor correspondingly.

This is what I measured, with a 75.3Ohm resistor.

Result is -213mVdc, so -2.8mA.

This is too high, but not sure it would be outside parameters. Also it doesnt change with the music. So it could be
1) something with the tda or the dac-setup
2) something with the spdif supply from doede douma's board. I have measured the i2s voltages. I measure

No SPDIF signal:
bck = 2.05 vdc
data = 0.1 vdc
fs = 2.24 vdc

SPDIF Signal applied:
bck = 2.05 vdc
data = 1.2-1.6 vdc varies
fs = 1.9 - 2.4 vdc varies

does that seem ok?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.