• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

"Reference" TDA1541A DAC with I2S-BUS architecture

Surface Finish for future PCB´s

• ENIG - Electroless Nickle/Immersion Gold

Votes: 93 48.7%
  • Immersion Silver

Votes: 54 28.3%
  • Immersion Tin

Votes: 24 12.6%
  • OSP - Organic Solderability Preservatives

Votes: 20 10.5%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thomo,

I'd actually like to get a board going to run i2s into my 7220P/B and on to the TDA1541A. It would be interesting to compare. Alternatively, I'd like a board to implement PD100 oversampling. I have been reading that the real problems with oversampling are implementation and power supply/ clocking/ re-clocking related, and people have mostly reported good things when re-incorporating OS into their NOS TDAs.

Could you help?

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Also have a look at Doede Douma's I2s to SPDIF converter. It uses a Tent Clock (DDDAC 2000)

Thanks for the advice. I own one of these and will use it for this particular project, since it needs I2S. For another project, an AD1865 DAC I'm looking for a good and affordable and Linux accepted converter. I know that Doedes one can be switched to SPDIF, but it is not really made for (wiring, outputtransformer..). So the question remains, what the advantage of the newer one is over the older one, if used for a NON OS DAC. Better parts, better sound??? If not, I'd rather spend the extra 20 bucks for better caps somewhere in the system.

Regards Ernst

Steady on there, LOL!

You wouldn't say that if you saw it, it's a two box machine now.

Besides, I like the oversampling, it suits my system and tastes. It took a dedicated PSU for the digital filter chip with a superb low-noise regulator to really make it sing though.

I am struggling to get the DEM reclocking to sync up sometimes though. I get masses of distortion which usually goes away within a few seconds, but sometimes it just won't lock :scratch1:

Lee.

Edit: Some nice work going on here guys.

Hi Lee,

Would be nice to see a pic of your 2 box monster :)

Alon

I'm reluctant to get into this, but that is nonsense Regi. Everybody who spends any amount of time on their computer, should get a mac. Worth every last penny.
Why can it be better if hardware-wise is the same but costs the double? They use the same Intel processors, motherboards are not high-end at all (mainly because miniaturization and poor ventilation/refrigerator), RAM is in notebook package (smaller, more expensive, less capacity availability...), all is so integrated that you cannot upgrade your graphic card for example. They achieve security by obscurity - where is the bios?

You will be far better by buying a server enterprise grade motherboard with a server processor (xeon, etc...), get a raid storagement arrangement with high-end hard disks, two redundants high availability PSU, etc...You will spend the same money but you will get a home computer that will last more than you, with a highly guarantee stability that outperforms any PC.

Sorry for this offtopic, this will be my last post regarding that. Just wanted to expose my personal opinion :cheers:

You're talking about building yourself a computer, and then comparing it to Apples consumer grade product, not their Pro stuff. Obviously it doesn't compare. OS and software is what you're paying for. Worth every last penny (I always buy second hand - depreciation/upgrading is about £200 per year - nothing really!)

Oliver, I just put an order in for PRPs for all of the TDA boards and a DCB1 board, and (annoyingly) they are out of stock of 220Rs, and only have only some of the 1Ks. I am wondering if it would be OK to use 1K1 for the shunt regs (with the remaining correct 1Ks for the i2s attenuator), and 200R for the i2S attenuator resistor instead of 220R.

What do you think? Will it cause any problems do you think? I'm guessing not, but I don't know for sure.

(I am being a bit poncy really - I want it to look good and consistent, rather than have the right values in different brands. I know you'll understand ;)

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Oliver, I just put an order in for PRPs for all of the TDA boards and a DCB1 board, and (annoyingly) they are out of stock of 220Rs, and only have only some of the 1Ks. I am wondering if it would be OK to use 1K1 for the shunt regs (with the remaining correct 1Ks for the i2s attenuator), and 200R for the i2S attenuator resistor instead of 220R.

What do you think? Will it cause any problems do you think? I'm guessing not, but I don't know for sure.

(I am being a bit poncy really - I want it to look good and consistent, rather than have the right values in different brands. I know you'll understand ;)

Please use the right values to prevent problems. Perhaps partsconnexion have the right value in 0.5W.

Hi Oliver,

I got the first of 2x transformers for the TDA1541A DAC.

It is 20v 12v 12v 12v 220V

Because of my countries 240v nominal system, the results are quite high.

I am getting 23.5v 14.4v 14.3v 14.2v :eek:

After rectification using the Fairchild Stealth Diodes and 10x Panasonic FC 2200uF caps, I am getting DC of 31.4v 18.7v 18.5v 18.3v :eek::eek::eek: so to achieve 15v 5v 5v 5v will mean a LOT of voltage lost in the shunt regulation. I haven't hooked them up to the shunt regs yet, as I still need some small bolts for the mosfet to heatsink connection :rolleyes:

I am wondering if I will be OK with these sinks and 10R current resistor, as there is going to be a lot of voltage wasted here. I am thinking 22R might make more sense, or bigger sinks, or both. Any thoughts?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Oliver,

I got the first of 2x transformers for the TDA1541A DAC.

It is 20v 12v 12v 12v 220V

Because of my countries 240v nominal system, the results are quite high.

I am getting 23.5v 14.4v 14.3v 14.2v :eek:

After rectification using the Fairchild Stealth Diodes and 10x Panasonic FC 2200uF caps, I am getting DC of 31.4v 18.7v 18.5v 18.3v :eek::eek::eek: so to achieve 15v 5v 5v 5v will mean a LOT of voltage lost in the shunt regulation. I haven't hooked them up to the shunt regs yet, as I still need some small bolts for the mosfet to heatsink connection :rolleyes:

I am wondering if I will be OK with these sinks and 10R current resistor, as there is going to be a lot of voltage wasted here. I am thinking 22R might make more sense, or bigger sinks, or both. Any thoughts?

Hi Lucas,

because Salas recommend a Vin/Vout difference of min. 10V, i don´t see any problems. Go ahead with the 10R.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.