• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

"Reference" TDA1541A DAC with I2S-BUS architecture

Surface Finish for future PCB´s

• ENIG - Electroless Nickle/Immersion Gold

Votes: 93 48.7%
  • Immersion Silver

Votes: 54 28.3%
  • Immersion Tin

Votes: 24 12.6%
  • OSP - Organic Solderability Preservatives

Votes: 20 10.5%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
3.3V regulator

I finish testing my 3.3V regulator yesterday. Thanks to Oliver I manage to complete all this without any fuss. I get sharp 3.3V constant after the mod but there's some kinda a heat...luke warm heat after initial start (few minutes) at the heat sink and the current adj. resistor. Is this normal Oliver???? Heat sink size is around 600mmX400mmX150mm.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I finish testing my 3.3V regulator yesterday. Thanks to Oliver I manage to complete all this without any fuss. I get sharp 3.3V constant after the mod but there's some kinda a heat...luke warm heat after initial start (few minutes) at the heat sink and the current adj. resistor. Is this normal Oliver???? Heat sink size is around 600mmX400mmX150mm.

Hi gabanyayaya,

perfect to hear that every works fine. :p
Just to verify, here again the recommended mod´s:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Please tell me the voltage over the 5W resistor and it´s value.

Hi Oliver,

I am looking to buy a transformer or two for my DAC, and a Hong Kong R-core supplier says he can make one with all of my requirements. He wants confirmation of the voltages and ampages I asked for. I thought I'd better check before confirming:

Hello,I can customize this kind transformer for you, according to your requirements,I think the parameters as following is ok:

Input voltage:AC 240V

Output voltage:
0-24V (2 lines 400ma) for -15v DAC
0-12V 0-12V 0-12V 0-12V (8 lines 400ma) for +5v -5v DAC, +5v Analogue, +5v Teralink X2
0-12V (2 lines 2A) for Tube-I-Zator heater
0-120V (2 lines 200ma) for Tube-I-Zator cathode

Output power:9.6W+4.8*4+24+24=76.8W

Does it ok?

regards

Joined 2009
Paid Member
By the way, Oliver,

How is that EC-Designs output stage coming along? Have you built it already?

The promised photos:

Here the layout overview with the quick made pcb

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I had used some small smd resistors

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Oliver,

I am looking to buy a transformer or two for my DAC, and a Hong Kong R-core supplier says he can make one with all of my requirements. He wants confirmation of the voltages and ampages I asked for. I thought I'd better check before confirming:

Hi Lucas,

i would recommend the following values:

1x 0-20V 1A for -15v DAC (20VA)
4x 0-12V 1A for +5v -5v DAC, +5v Analogue, +5v Teralink X2 (48VA)
1x 0-9V 2A for Tube-I-Zator heater (18VA)
1x 0-120V-150V 0,1A for Tube-I-Zator B+ (15VA)

Total: 101VA (W)

With this configuration you have reserves for the transformer.
Also the multiple voltages for the B+ are good, because i have an upgrade cooking, witch needs the 150V tap.

Don´t forget the values are AC and must multiplied with 1.4 to get the DC voltages minus the voltage drop from the rectifier diodes. ;)

Hi Lucas,

i would recommend the following values:

1x 0-120V-150V 0,1A for Tube-I-Zator B+ (15VA)

Also the multiple voltages for the B+ are good, because i have an upgrade cooking, witch needs the 150V tap.

Thanks Oliver, yes I certainly did forget the rectifiers. Doh!

Regarding the Tube-I-Zator B+, how can there be multiple voltages on a single pair of AC lines? Surely I must choose 120 or 150 vac, no? Also, does 100mA really leave enough surplus for the transformer AND your upgrade?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Thanks Oliver, yes I certainly did forget the rectifiers. Doh!

Regarding the Tube-I-Zator B+, how can there be multiple voltages on a single pair of AC lines? Surely I must choose 120 or 150 vac, no? Also, does 100mA really leave enough surplus for the transformer AND your upgrade?

For the B+ you select only one tap, yes. The 100mA are absolute enough.
The 6N2P-EV has an anode current from 2.3mA±0.9mA for each triode, so we have four triodes with an absolute maximum of 12,8mA.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
OK, so the 0-120-150 thing, to be clear:

Is that 4 lines like this: 0-120, 0-150 each at 100mA? This will allow 120v for the B+ and 150v free for whatever you have so intriguingly "cooking."

Sorry if I am being stupid. I just want to be clear before I order the thing.

You just need only one input voltage for the Tube-I-zator B+.
If you order 0-120V-150V you have the possibility to tap
120V (0-120) or 150V (0-150). It's a normal winding
on the TX with two taps, so 1x 100mA.

Nice board design for the output stage. Thanks for the pics. I am surprised to read that the Tubizator is better than the EC-Designs output stage. I would have guessed the number of components worsened the sound of the tubes compared to the 3 components per line on de ECD output

I thought, by the way, that I read the EC-Designs does not use an output cap?
That may be deteriorating some of the sound...

I see you are using 500k now as I/V, does that mean you have stopped using 2 TDA1541 in your setup and went back to single DAC?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Nice board design for the output stage. Thanks for the pics. I am surprised to read that the Tubizator is better than the EC-Designs output stage. I would have guessed the number of components worsened the sound of the tubes compared to the 3 components per line on de ECD output

I thought, by the way, that I read the EC-Designs does not use an output cap?
That may be deteriorating some of the sound...

I see you are using 500k now as I/V, does that mean you have stopped using 2 TDA1541 in your setup and went back to single DAC?

This was only the first, fast made board design. This next one (one module for each DAC) was for my modulare design
where you can see what to do with the I/V resistors when using more than one TDA1541A DAC.

Surely i had used 250R resistors on my sample pcb ;)

The output cap´s must be used to get rid of the +5VDC ! So also EC must have them in his schematics.

Best,
Oliver

Last edited:
I would find it hard to be objective about which is better, when spending so much effort on Tube-I-Zator, and this being so simple and cheap and easy and tiny. Lukas Fikus was surprised at how good his own version of Marantz HDAM was, compared to his beloved Lampi-Zator.

Oliver, I'd like to build a little bit more sound adjustment possibilities, like you have...

Where did you get those neat little resistor stand-outs/ sockets? I'd like to be able to A/B some resistors, both near Ohmage values and:

Takman REX (carbon)
Dale Vishay RM55
PRP
Caddock MK132.

Also, where did you get the 2 and 3 pin board to board connectors with 2.5mm pin pitch?

Many thanks
Lucas

FWIW: I did a little poll on the 'best and final tda1541 output stage' some time ago on this forum, and the results were that most of our fellow DIYaudio'ers are in favor of solid state designs rather than tubes (either lampizator or thorsten loesch designs)....

Again, for what it's worth, as this is obviously completely subjective and dependent on ears, music, system, mood, etc etc etc

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Where did you get those neat little resistor stand-outs/ sockets? I'd like to be able to A/B some resistors, both near Ohmage values and:

Takman REX (carbon)
Dale Vishay RM55
PRP
Caddock MK132.

Also, where did you get the 2 and 3 pin board to board connectors with 2.5mm pin pitch?

Many thanks
Lucas

The SIP Break-A-Way sockets you find at Mouser. Only get rid of the plastic and you have the stand-out. ;)

The 2.5mm connectors are from the Molex KK-series, also used on the DCB1 Blue.
You find them also at Mouser.

Best,
Oliver

Hi Oliver,

I am finally getting all the parts for this project and its time to start thinking about the transformer...i would like to get a transformer similar to yours, and i was wondering if you have the email address of Kim from AE europe who helped you with yours?

I want to get a qoute for the specs that you posted.

1x 0-20V 1A
4x 0-12V 1A
1x 0-9V 2A
1x 0-120V-150V 0,1A

Thanks

Alon

Thanks for the links Oliver.

Alon, if you are interested, I have just received a quote from a Hong Kong R-core maker on eBay for a transformer to exactly the spec Oliver recommended, and it is $79US (£51.23) delivered, which is pretty phenomenal as it's the same price as you can buy a 100VA R-core pre-made in a factory. The eBay seller is called "along1986090".

R-core is the latest technology in transformers from Japan. They are excellent. Read about them here: :::ARROW TECHNOLOGY LIMITED:::...

I'll be the guinea pig if you like...it will be here for me to test in 10 days!!!
Lucas

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Oliver,

I am finally getting all the parts for this project and its time to start thinking about the transformer...i would like to get a transformer similar to yours, and i was wondering if you have the email address of Kim from AE europe who helped you with yours?

I want to get a qoute for the specs that you posted.

1x 0-20V 1A
4x 0-12V 1A
1x 0-9V 2A
1x 0-120V-150V 0,1A

Thanks

Alon

Hi Alon,

the email address is: info@ae-europe.nl

Regards to Kim :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.