"Reference" TDA1541A DAC with I2S-BUS architecture - Page 89 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
View Poll Results: Surface Finish for future PCBs
ENIG - Electroless Nickle/Immersion Gold 57 46.34%
Immersion Silver 36 29.27%
Immersion Tin 18 14.63%
OSP - Organic Solderability Preservatives 12 9.76%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29th December 2012, 02:33 PM   #881
diyAudio Member

In general you are better off without buffers, as these increase jitter (hence tailoring the attennuatora to the i2s signal levels will be better).

However, increased jitter on the DATA and WS lines should have only a small effect. Jitter on the BCK line has a large effect. In general some local reclocking scheme for bck should be employed to minimize jitter, rather than taking (inherently more jittery) bck from you transport.
Old 31st December 2012, 09:58 AM   #882
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to dvb projekt
A Happy new year to the whole community
Old 4th January 2013, 03:48 PM   #883
diyAudio Member

Hello TDA1541 lovers. I am a complete newbie when it comes to NOS and R2R dacs, so here are my questions regarding The Red Baron modules.

1) Can this Red Baron TDA1541 implementation accept DSD signal through I2S? Maybe with help of DoP (DSD over PCM)? If not then what is the maximum sampling frequency?

2) What are advantages of stacking two DAC modules? Better SNR? Balanced mode operation? Dual mono operation? Does two modules bring a higher level SQ?

3) Can you tell the difference in SQ between TDA1541 regular, S1 and S2 with all other components untouched?

4) I see the on-board MOSFET I/V stage is very good and simple design, but is it the best sounding one in comparison to other solid state FET I/V stages (not interested in tubes)?

5) Did somebody auditioned a similarly well designed PCM1704 implementation in comparison with this TDA1541? And if yes then what design won in SQ department?

6) Question for dvb-projekt: did you considered PCM1704 when you started your Reference DAC adventure? Why PCM1704 doesn't have as much attention as TDA1541A? On paper PCM1704 looks awesome.

P.S. In advance Pardon me for silly questions. Feel free to correct my mistakes.
Old 7th January 2013, 06:08 PM   #884
diyAudio Member

Hi TiEx,

to your questions:

Quote:
1) Can this Red Baron TDA1541 implementation accept DSD signal through I2S? Maybe with help of DoP (DSD over PCM)? If not then what is the maximum sampling frequency?
The Red Baron is a NOS TDA1541A DAC, witch accepts only 16-Bit. AFAIK the DoP needs 24bit, so no.
The max. sampling frequency i used without any problems is 96kHz over my Teralink X2 USB/I2S converter.

Quote:
2) What are advantages of stacking two DAC modules? Better SNR? Balanced mode operation? Dual mono operation? Does two modules bring a higher level SQ?
With the Red Baron you could only parallel the TDA1541A.
The current outputs are looped together in a master slave configuration. Paralleling two DACs doubles the current output,
increases the THD+N ratio and reduces linearity errors. This gives more dynamic and details.

Quote:
3) Can you tell the difference in SQ between TDA1541 regular, S1 and S2 with all other components untouched?
TDA1541A selections have been made with respect to the maximum differential linearity error. You could read the differences HERE.
I could only tell you the result from my standard TDA1541A to my actual S1 double crown. To make it short, better 3D soundstage, more micro informations .

Quote:
4) I see the on-board MOSFET I/V stage is very good and simple design, but is it the best sounding one in comparison to other solid state FET I/V stages (not interested in tubes)?
-ecdesigns- MK7 onboard I/V stage sounds really awesome, but i didt compare it with all other possible I/V stages.

Quote:
5) Did somebody auditioned a similarly well designed PCM1704 implementation in comparison with this TDA1541? And if yes then what design won in SQ department?
Thats a question to the community.

Quote:
6) Question for dvb-projekt: did you considered PCM1704 when you started your Reference DAC adventure? Why PCM1704 doesn't have as much attention as TDA1541A? On paper PCM1704 looks awesome.
Before i start my DAC project i read a lot of reviews and posts through the i-net about the best sounding DAC. My personal choice goes to the TDA1541A.
BTW, the most important thing for me is the sound. You could compare the data sheets, but do you listen to them...

Best regards,
Oliver
Old 7th January 2013, 08:05 PM   #885
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the answers Oliver. And here a re some more questions about Red Baron.

1) About using your DAC with Ian's Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter and with Drive NOS AD1865/62,PCM1704/02/63,TDA1541 from FIFO: Universal I2S-PCM driver board Drive NOS AD1865/62,PCM1704/02/63,TDA1541 from FIFO: Universal I2S-PCM driver board

Here is the info that I have in mind: buffers between the i2s source and TDA1541 i2s input may introduce some jitter no matter how fast they are. TDA1541 is prone to jitter according to a wide variety of DIY people opinions. So wouldn't it be better to adjust i2s attenuators on Red Baron board to the Ian's FIFO source? Ian's FIFO is 3.3V LVTTL logic output level with 5V TTL tolerance, what changes to i2s attenuator on PCB it would require?

2) Second question is about what is better for TDA1541 clean i2s or PCM? I've read somewhere here on diyaudio that TDA1541 gives better SQ when fed by PCM signal. Maybe there is a reason to use Ian's NOS i2s to PCM daughter board? But then again i2s is a Philips invention so wouldn't it be better to feed TDA1541 just with clean i2s signal?

Here is a quote from other thread:
Quote:
This board Ian is making will allow the option of a simultaneous output of offset binary Left and Right Data. For TDA1541 enthusiasts, and tinkerers, this will allow a person to create a dual mono TDA1541 board. Also possible is a dual differential, or balanced output TDA1541 board.

I know many people will be interested in these possibilities.

And it may be worth nothing, but I have read reports from those that have tried it, that the offset binary data input sounds better than the i2s.
I don't know, but I am keen to try it.

It will also allow the use of the TDA1540 chip.
So maybe there is a reason to use i2s to PCM converter?

And if using Ian's i2s to PCM converter then how to connect it with Red Baron and what would be the changes to i2s attenuator?

Best regards.

Alex
Old 8th January 2013, 06:55 AM   #886
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiEx View Post
Thanks for the answers Oliver. And here a re some more questions about Red Baron.

1) About using your DAC with Ian's Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter and with Drive NOS AD1865/62,PCM1704/02/63,TDA1541 from FIFO: Universal I2S-PCM driver board Drive NOS AD1865/62,PCM1704/02/63,TDA1541 from FIFO: Universal I2S-PCM driver board

Here is the info that I have in mind: buffers between the i2s source and TDA1541 i2s input may introduce some jitter no matter how fast they are. TDA1541 is prone to jitter according to a wide variety of DIY people opinions. So wouldn't it be better to adjust i2s attenuators on Red Baron board to the Ian's FIFO source? Ian's FIFO is 3.3V LVTTL logic output level with 5V TTL tolerance, what changes to i2s attenuator on PCB it would require?

2) Second question is about what is better for TDA1541 clean i2s or PCM? I've read somewhere here on diyaudio that TDA1541 gives better SQ when fed by PCM signal. Maybe there is a reason to use Ian's NOS i2s to PCM daughter board? But then again i2s is a Philips invention so wouldn't it be better to feed TDA1541 just with clean i2s signal?

Here is a quote from other thread:

So maybe there is a reason to use i2s to PCM converter?

And if using Ian's i2s to PCM converter then how to connect it with Red Baron and what would be the changes to i2s attenuator?

Best regards.

Alex
Hi Alex,

in the next weeks Chris (crobbins5421) will test different things with the Red Baron and Ians FIFO. I think his results will answers also your questions.

Oliver
Old 8th January 2013, 07:51 AM   #887
diyAudio Member

Awesome news Oliver. Would love to see his results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvb-projekt View Post
Hi Alex,

in the next weeks Chris (crobbins5421) will test different things with the Red Baron and Ians FIFO. I think his results will answers also your questions.

Oliver
Old 10th January 2013, 09:48 AM   #888
diyAudio Member

Exclamation Stock status update

The +/- Power Supply Module is back in stock!

Old 18th January 2013, 03:05 PM   #889
diyAudio Member

Hello everyone. There is a question. Is there a kit with ALL parts(no only pcb) to build this DAC ?
P.S. Thanks in advance.
Old 18th January 2013, 04:58 PM   #890
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selic2006 View Post
Hello everyone. There is a question. Is there a kit with ALL parts(no only pcb) to build this DAC ?
P.S. Thanks in advance.
Hi selic2006,

no. This GB is only for the PCBs.

Best regards,
Oliver

Hide this!Advertise here!