"Reference" TDA1541A DAC with I2S-BUS architecture - Page 88 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
View Poll Results: Surface Finish for future PCB´s
ENIG - Electroless Nickle/Immersion Gold 57 46.34%
Immersion Silver 36 29.27%
Immersion Tin 18 14.63%
OSP - Organic Solderability Preservatives 12 9.76%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18th November 2012, 11:46 PM   #871
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
wouldnt the i2s fifo buffer plus the i2s/PCM universal driver be the ticket?

I own a LOT of i2s convertors and this one PWNS them all. you could add a USB convertor if you absolutely need USB, but the way this works it essentially marries whatever source you are using to the dac. you can use his spdif add on module, or any USB->i2s you like and as long as you dont need higher than 192kHz (the spdif coax will do 216, but only the i2s does 384khz) there really isnt any difference at all, its agnostic in that regard.

you can also use his galvanic isolation board between the fifo buffer board and the clock board, which then isolates the dac from any and all noise on power or ground (USB ground for example), then leaves only the clock jitter plus that of the clock buffer as the total jitter output. so the source and transport IS the dac itself so to speak

IMO it really doesnt leave much room for improvement and the daughterboard actually allows driving the TDA directly...
Thanks qusp. I took your advice and made the "adjustments" on the I2S signal/ground you recommended. MAJOR improvement. I had to alter The Red Baron DAC board (drilled a hole to access the I2S inputs and grounds from underneath). The bass is back, midrange richness is there as well.

Could you please tell us which parts we'd need if we wanted to utilize USB input with the Ian boards? I'm trying to get some technical info and it seems that i keep bouncing around on the group buy threads....
Old 19th November 2012, 11:03 AM   #872
diyAudio Member

I found most of what I think I need on Ian's boards. Will sift through it now...
Old 19th November 2012, 11:42 PM   #873
neda is offline neda  United States
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=crobbins5421;3247000]Thanks qusp. I took your advice and made the "adjustments" on the I2S signal/ground you recommended. MAJOR improvement. I had to alter The Red Baron DAC board (drilled a hole to access the I2S inputs and grounds from underneath).

Hi crobbins5421,
Can you explain exactly what adjustments on the I2S signal/ground you made,
and how? I'm very curious.

Regards
Old 19th November 2012, 11:53 PM   #874
diyAudio Member

Check my post (#867). This will give you some very helpful I2S background info (with the link).

I basically drilled through The red Baron dac board after wrapping the I2S (signal) wires with ground wires.

I'll post a pic soon.....
Old 20th November 2012, 01:16 PM   #875
diyAudio Member

Default Red Baron/Amanero Picture

Here's a picture that will hopefully explain it....

I drilled through the DAC board and attached the I2S ground wires to the grounds of the small Wima caps underneath....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Red Baron:Amanero.jpg (770.7 KB, 391 views)
Old 20th November 2012, 01:53 PM   #876
neda is offline neda  United States
diyAudio Member

Looks good! Where do the orange/white wires from your star ground point lead to that are going under the dac?
How quiet is it? Any hum or hiss at full volume?
Old 20th November 2012, 02:15 PM   #877
diyAudio Member

The orange/white wires are the ones that run to the grounds on the small Wima caps.

I've got a "wee bit" of hiss. That will be corrected with a USB isolator....
Old 17th December 2012, 11:58 PM   #878
diyAudio Member

Default Still correcting grounding issues...

Question for the followers of this fine hobby (obsession)....

What is the preferred method for star grounding? I thought I had it correct, and I'm still getting this weird intermittent hum...

I'm powering my USB to I2S converter with Oliver's (Salas) 3.3V shunt. I lowered the current limiting resistor to 10R to get more current. The problem lies in the fact that when there's no music playing there's almost no hum or hiss. When music is playing (on some songs/cd's) there is some hiss or static. Here's where it gets weird...when I touch the 3.3V board (or caps or heat sinks or anything else) the hiss and static gets much louder.

All component boards rest on a wood board. Comments?
Old 24th December 2012, 12:28 PM   #879
freax is offline freax  Australia
diyAudio Member

if the wood is even remotely moist it can carry hum to a part of the circuit which is most susceptible to it.

could also be close proximity to the transformers that is causing it

Last edited by freax; 24th December 2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 29th December 2012, 01:08 PM   #880
diyAudio Member

Default Red Baron mods to work with 3.3v USB/I2S

In doing some "light reading" in the ecdesigns thread, I stumbled on this post where John gives resistor values to modify the I2S attenuator to work with 3.3v I2S signals:

Building the ultimate NOS DAC using TDA1541A

Thoughts?

I bring this up as I am auditioning different USB to I2S converters and currently use Oliver's High Speed Buffer with very good success...but might it be a better solution to ulilize the 3.3v output directly?

Hide this!Advertise here!