• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

"Reference" TDA1541A DAC with I2S-BUS architecture

Surface Finish for future PCB´s

• ENIG - Electroless Nickle/Immersion Gold

Votes: 93 48.7%
  • Immersion Silver

Votes: 54 28.3%
  • Immersion Tin

Votes: 24 12.6%
  • OSP - Organic Solderability Preservatives

Votes: 20 10.5%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
From The WaveIO Manual:

Attention: There will be NO signals at J5 pin-header connector (Isolated I2S Outputs) if there's no voltage applied on the V+ and Isolated-GND pins (usually 3.3V but 5V is also accepted - please see IL715 datasheet for more information).

I don´t see the GND connection from the 3.3V PSU to the J5 header... :scratch:

708424d1539112548t-reference-tda1541a-dac-i2s-bus-architecture-20181009_181737-jpg

I also tried downloading the VA program which seem rather ok even if I found links at DIY Audio which was talking about the quality level of the program. But for a rough estimate I think it can be ok but here come a question, are there any interfaces ready to buy cause without an interface where I can connect probes it is not for any use or do I have to build the interface myself, is it possible still to buy pcb:s and ready packages for the program??
The input (line or microphone ) of your soundcard is the input. If you have mini Jack input , take a mini jack to two RCA cable. There you have your probes. I know I know , it is not good as probe, but you can also cut the cable before one ( or both ) the RAC plugs and use the center connector as probe and solder a cable with a crocodile clip on the screen and use that as a ground clip.. If the center connector is too soft, solder a piece of wire from a resistor on it and use that.

From The WaveIO Manual:

Attention: There will be NO signals at J5 pin-header connector (Isolated I2S Outputs) if there's no voltage applied on the V+ and Isolated-GND pins (usually 3.3V but 5V is also accepted - please see IL715 datasheet for more information).

I don´t see the GND connection from the 3.3V PSU to the J5 header... :scratch:

708424d1539112548t-reference-tda1541a-dac-i2s-bus-architecture-20181009_181737-jpg

20181011_104600.jpg

My bad, I thought that when I connected isolated gnd to the DAC board it was enough but now I have added separate gnd for the 3.3 V connection to J5.:eek:

I made some additional measuring and realized that I have 2.989 VDC out on RCA, both left and right....?? Am I supposed to have DC out on the RCA, I don't think so.
Checked also the Waveio and it seem to stream as it is supposed to since I have voltage on both Host Active and Music Streaming when connecting to computer (Foobar2000) so appearently music is streaming to the DAC but still no music out from the DAC.:mad:

The input (line or microphone ) of your soundcard is the input. If you have mini Jack input , take a mini jack to two RCA cable. There you have your probes. I know I know , it is not good as probe, but you can also cut the cable before one ( or both ) the RAC plugs and use the center connector as probe and solder a cable with a crocodile clip on the screen and use that as a ground clip.. If the center connector is too soft, solder a piece of wire from a resistor on it and use that.

I will try this but I am not really shure how to implement this, do you have some picture or link how to do it??
Thank you for the tip koldby!

Is this what you had in mind, koldby??

ljudkabel-3-5-mm-till-2x-rca.jpeg

View attachment 708747

My bad, I thought that when I connected isolated gnd to the DAC board it was enough but now I have added separate gnd for the 3.3 V connection to J5.:eek:

I made some additional measuring and realized that I have 2.989 VDC out on RCA, both left and right....?? Am I supposed to have DC out on the RCA, I don't think so.
That depends on what you use as ground for that measurement! If you use the ground you have been using for all your measurements, yes this is correct. If you use the ground where the ground on you RCA output sockets are supposed to be connected (to the little PCB that on top of the hole thing) you should measure near 0 DC volt if you have adjusted the two trimmers on that little PCB correct (that is exactly their purpose, to remove the DC between RCA ground and RCA live connection). You must NOT connect the RCA ground to the rest of the ground connections!

Some more measuring

Have been fiddeling with the Visual Analyzer for a week now and don't get it working so it will need more fiddeling before I have an O-scope that will be useful.:(

Though, I made some measuring with my Hz capable DMM and tried to follow the signal through the Waveio to the Red Baron and here is what I found out... and what worries me a little.

Everything connected but no music playing I measure on the Waveio, following:

On the LED indicators, Host Active has 3.3 V while none of the frequency Leds have any voltage as well as the Streaming music led, which is absolutely correct. No music no streaming and no frequency lock.
On the isolated I2S I have 3.26 V, BCK is showing 1.65 V and 3.07 MHz, LR (Word Select) is measuring 0.4 mV and approximately 216 kHz while DT measure 0.4 mV and 31 kHz.

With music playing via USB I measure Host active 3.3 V, frequency lock on 44.1 kHz and also Streaming music with 3.3 V respectively so appearantly I have a music signal detected and sent out via the isolated I2S by the Waveio.

Also made some measuring on the TDA1541A both with and without music and I have on WS 0.62 V, BCK measure 1.65 V, Data 0.62 V but here come the strange thing.
When measuring AOR and AOL I have 95 mV on AOR but I have -7.51 V on AOL....????

Could it be so that my presious TDA1541A have given up cause I don't see no reason for the measurements that I get on AOL and AOR, doesn't matter if I play music or not, same measurements. :eek::eek:

By the way, I fixed the DC that I had out on my RCA. Turned out that I had forgotten to bias the mosfets and also to balance out the gnd for the RCA but anyway, with above findings I still can't hear music so I think that a new TDA1541A has to be purchased.:Ouch:

koldby; I wonder, since you seem to know little about both the VA and Red Baron, may I send PM or mail about the VA to get it working?

Have been fiddeling with the Visual Analyzer for a week now and don't get it working so it will need more fiddeling before I have an O-scope that will be useful.:(

Though, I made some measuring with my Hz capable DMM and tried to follow the signal through the Waveio to the Red Baron and here is what I found out... and what worries me a little.

Everything connected but no music playing I measure on the Waveio, following:

On the LED indicators, Host Active has 3.3 V while none of the frequency Leds have any voltage as well as the Streaming music led, which is absolutely correct. No music no streaming and no frequency lock.
On the isolated I2S I have 3.26 V, BCK is showing 1.65 V and 3.07 MHz, LR (Word Select) is measuring 0.4 mV and approximately 216 kHz while DT measure 0.4 mV and 31 kHz.

With music playing via USB I measure Host active 3.3 V, frequency lock on 44.1 kHz and also Streaming music with 3.3 V respectively so appearantly I have a music signal detected and sent out via the isolated I2S by the Waveio.

Also made some measuring on the TDA1541A both with and without music and I have on WS 0.62 V, BCK measure 1.65 V, Data 0.62 V but here come the strange thing.
When measuring AOR and AOL I have 95 mV on AOR but I have -7.51 V on AOL....????

Could it be so that my presious TDA1541A have given up cause I don't see no reason for the measurements that I get on AOL and AOR, doesn't matter if I play music or not, same measurements. :eek::eek:

By the way, I fixed the DC that I had out on my RCA. Turned out that I had forgotten to bias the mosfets and also to balance out the gnd for the RCA but anyway, with above findings I still can't hear music so I think that a new TDA1541A has to be purchased.:Ouch:

koldby; I wonder, since you seem to know little about both the VA and Red Baron, may I send PM or mail about the VA to get it working?
You have PM

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Oliver. many thanks for the picture.
I have 3 more queries as posted in the attached picture .
Hope you or any knowledgeable members can help out.

Look here:

Hi Alex,

here is how to use the Setting Points:

1st

27488918614_a26d3b865b_b.jpg

2nd

You connect the DC-Reference Module as followed:

From DAC module

Ref. (Audio out) --> Ref. +5V
GND (DC Digital) --> GND

From DC Ref. Module

GND Ref. Left --> GND RCA Left
GND Ref. Right --> GND RCA Right

Trimm the RCA GND to 0V

9057836376_530b39ef52_b.jpg

:wave:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.