• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

"Reference" TDA1541A DAC with I2S-BUS architecture

Surface Finish for future PCB´s

• ENIG - Electroless Nickle/Immersion Gold

Votes: 93 48.7%
  • Immersion Silver

Votes: 54 28.3%
  • Immersion Tin

Votes: 24 12.6%
  • OSP - Organic Solderability Preservatives

Votes: 20 10.5%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Ton,

if you want to use two Red Baron DAC´s parallel with the onboard I/V stage, you must connect it like this:

1st - Every DAC module needs all parts of the I/V stage, expect the I/V resistors. Adjust the DAC output to 0V (DC-offset of the TDA1541A).

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Don´t forget to make the small modification and switch the source and drain of the MOSFET like in this picture !!!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

2nd - The output of the current buffers on each DAC module (inner four-sided point of the I/V resistor) must be connected together (parallel).

3rd - You need only one pair of I/V resistors with 250R value on one DAC module (four-sided / round point).

4th - You connect the DC-Reference Module as followed:

From DAC module

Ref. (Audio out) --> Ref. +5V
GND (DC Digital) --> GND

From DC Ref. Module

GND Ref. Left --> GND RCA Left
GND Ref. Right --> GND RAC Right

You could see it on this photo

5th - Trimm the RCA GND to 0V

That´s it. ;)

Cheers

I am just about ready to build a Red Baron Dac, using two Red Baron v5.0 DAC´s in parallel with the onboard I/V stage. Please let me know if there are any major changes to how it is done from the quite ancient post featuring the v3.0 boards above?

Thanks in advance!:)

Last edited:
Got these at the post office today, thank you very much Oliver :)

Attachments

• Red_Baron_boards_2_and_3.jpg
    Red_Baron_boards_2_and_3.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 128
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hello, friends of the 1541a.

Has anybody tried using Beaglebone Black or Odroid C1+ with direct i2s output with the Red Baron? This USB to i2s thing is becoming a bit to complex for my liking with elaborate computers, USB-isolators, regenerators and whats not. And with some reviewers reporting that the plain old Spdif sounds more musical and dynamic than USB I'm starting to think that simpler may be better. Any views and/or experiences?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.