"Reference" TDA1541A DAC with I2S-BUS architecture - Page 29 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
View Poll Results: Surface Finish for future PCBīs
ENIG - Electroless Nickle/Immersion Gold 57 46.34%
Immersion Silver 36 29.27%
Immersion Tin 18 14.63%
OSP - Organic Solderability Preservatives 12 9.76%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2010, 08:30 AM   #281
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cologne
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiostevus View Post
I see that clarifies. Should have better paid attention what I was looking at (DCB1, not DAC).

By the way, EC-designs has identified that his ultra-simple output stage is not optimal either. He is now using a bit more complex topology.
Yes, as Oliver already stated, the sound was not as expected. Flat and somehow grainy! John mentioned two issues, one was a missing small cap to prevent stage from oscillating. After that it was much better than before but still not good enough. The other issue cannot be solved with this design So still far away from my other DAC. Johns new design is not much more complex from the builders point, so I stay on his track. Beside that, meanwhile a few nice 6n2p tubes are on the way to me

Regarding the X2: A friend led a cable from the input of pulsetransformer directly to the RCA output, removed the 5V regulator and powered the thingie by external 5V and after that he was very very happy with the result compared to his first impression. Finally he will feed it with its own 5V shunt. If one wants to have the ultimate solution, one needs a 3.3V shunt to feed the chips within this litte box. Only the clock is running on 5V, he told me.

Cheers Ernst
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 09:13 AM   #282
diyAudio Member
 
dvb projekt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Willich, Germany
Blog Entries: 38
Send a message via Skype™ to dvb projekt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernesternest View Post
Regarding the X2: A friend led a cable from the input of pulsetransformer directly to the RCA output, removed the 5V regulator and powered the thingie by external 5V and after that he was very very happy with the result compared to his first impression. Finally he will feed it with its own 5V shunt. If one wants to have the ultimate solution, one needs a 3.3V shunt to feed the chips within this litte box. Only the clock is running on 5V, he told me.

Cheers Ernst
Hi Ernst,

thatīs a cool idea to run also the 3,3V on a separate shunt.

As you could see in my post #194, my X2 runs with one of my +5V shunt modules
and itīs no problem to cancel the 3,3V regulator behind the USB plug.

The small modification thatīs needed to run my shunt module on 3,3V (post #124) is also no problem.

I think i will solder a bit more when the ordered USB Isolator module is delivered...
__________________
Reference TDA1541A DAC project PCBīs / Tube-I-zator PCB / SSHV-Shunt PCB
Stock status in my Blog
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 10:05 AM   #283
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cologne
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvb-projekt View Post
Hi Ernst,

thatīs a cool idea to run also the 3,3V on a separate shunt.

As you could see in my post #194, my X2 runs with one of my +5V shunt modules
and itīs no problem to cancel the 3,3V regulator behind the USB plug.

The small modification thatīs needed to run my shunt module on 3,3V (post #124) is also no problem.

I think i will solder a bit more when the ordered USB Isolator module is delivered...
Thanks and UUps, missed that.

The separation chip gave a good improvment at my Monica. Hope to get my second X2 quickly, since I gave my first to my friend.

Cheers Ernst
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 04:43 PM   #284
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brunei
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernesternest View Post
Yes, as Oliver already stated, the sound was not as expected. Flat and somehow grainy! John mentioned two issues, one was a missing small cap to prevent stage from oscillating. After that it was much better than before but still not good enough. The other issue cannot be solved with this design So still far away from my other DAC. Johns new design is not much more complex from the builders point, so I stay on his track. Beside that, meanwhile a few nice 6n2p tubes are on the way to me


Cheers Ernst
Yep... I am also looking for an alternative solution besides John's. It unfortunately is still not ultimate... I found this tube solution on the forum. Looks intriguing. Tubed CCDA I/V Amp for TDA1541(A)

And still I read that sound-quality wise, a discrete solution is regarded to be better than tube solutions. Not sure what to make of it
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 07:53 PM   #285
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cologne
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiostevus View Post
Yep... I am also looking for an alternative solution besides John's. It unfortunately is still not ultimate... I found this tube solution on the forum. Looks intriguing. Tubed CCDA I/V Amp for TDA1541(A)

And still I read that sound-quality wise, a discrete solution is regarded to be better than tube solutions. Not sure what to make of it
Hi Studiostevus,

I'm running the AD1865 with a tubed outputstage (E182CC Anode Follower With HV shunt and CCS - currently changing to 6n6p) and can say the sound is really amazing! Never before before heard a DAC like this one.
Good, better, worse, ... is always a matter of personal taste.... I have no preferrence, I'd like to have a veeeryveeeeeeeery good but simple soundsystem in the end. I'm still comparing an ECs seems to be simple and will be very good in the end. I'm pretty sure.

Radioman's approach is also good in my eyes, nevertheless not very progressive. Low I/V resistor value and a classic preamp approach with voltage amplification in the first and current amplification in the second stage. Have heard such preamp stage, actually I own one. Hm, sound is good, could try it. Could also be built with 6n2p tubes, since they are close to ECC83 and could be good for people they don't like SRPP. Heard they exist

Cheers Ernst
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 12:02 PM   #286
diyAudio Member
 
dvb projekt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Willich, Germany
Blog Entries: 38
Send a message via Skype™ to dvb projekt
Default USB-Isolator

Thanks again to Ryelands for his post #262!

The small USB-Isolator pcb from Circuits@Home arrived yesterday. The soldering of the few parts was no problem.
The design is based on Analog Devices ADuM4160 USB Isolator IC.

Click the image to open in full size.

Because i want to use the best power solution, i ordered the "Isolator only"-Kit and connected it to the
+5V Salas Shunt module, witch also powered my X2 USB to I2S converter.

Click the image to open in full size.

Now the DAC is completely isolated from the computer input side, including the GND line.

Click the image to open in full size.

Only the pure USB signal goes into the DAC. And the result....

Chapeau!!!

Better dynamics, enhancement of the low end, better 3D soundstage and a deeeep black background.

From my side:

Highly recommended
__________________
Reference TDA1541A DAC project PCBīs / Tube-I-zator PCB / SSHV-Shunt PCB
Stock status in my Blog
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010, 07:52 PM   #287
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brunei
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernesternest View Post
Hi Studiostevus,

I'm running the AD1865 with a tubed outputstage (E182CC Anode Follower With HV shunt and CCS - currently changing to 6n6p) and can say the sound is really amazing! Never before before heard a DAC like this one.
Good, better, worse, ... is always a matter of personal taste.... I have no preferrence, I'd like to have a veeeryveeeeeeeery good but simple soundsystem in the end. I'm still comparing an ECs seems to be simple and will be very good in the end. I'm pretty sure.

Radioman's approach is also good in my eyes, nevertheless not very progressive. Low I/V resistor value and a classic preamp approach with voltage amplification in the first and current amplification in the second stage. Have heard such preamp stage, actually I own one. Hm, sound is good, could try it. Could also be built with 6n2p tubes, since they are close to ECC83 and could be good for people they don't like SRPP. Heard they exist

Cheers Ernst
Hi Ernst,
So essentially what you are saying is that there are a lot of options out there and you should build many to find out what your preference is... cha... that must be true, but doesnt help me further on where to start :-)

What's your best output stage for this dac so far? Have you tried any solid state ones?

Also interested in your anode follower CCS Shunt solution for the TDA1541

Last edited by studiostevus; 21st November 2010 at 08:22 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010, 09:50 PM   #288
diyAudio Member
 
LucasAdamson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
I think that starting with SRPP 6N2P as I have done, is a vary wise move. The circuit is very popular on the whole. Extremely detailed and lush. Powerful, dynamic, intriguing and all round pleasant. I can't find fault in this DAC to be honest, other than poorly recorded stuff seems to disappoint, even when the music was previously admired - now good music, badly recorded is no longer fun.

What I can tell you is that I am listening to 2xTDA1541A with 6N2P SRPP right now and it is quite sublime. Best I've heard. First DAC I've had to equal the record player with the best discs.
__________________
Lucas
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010, 09:59 PM   #289
diyAudio Member
 
LucasAdamson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Default TERALINK X2 USB linking problem

I am having a bit of a pain though -

The Teradak X2 takes several (maybe 1x or 5x) on/off/on switches before it registers on the Macbook Pro, even with a 2m cable.

With a 5m USB cable, it simply doesn't connect at all (at least 20x on/off attempts). I've tried two 5m cables now. I'm really a bit fed up with it. I can't listen to music and sit on my sofa with the computer like I usually do.

I want for the DAC to be easily usable without having to know the knack of getting it to work (like Fonzy hitting the juke box in just the right place) so the wife and kids feel they can use it.

Any suggestions? Any similar experiences to report?
__________________
Lucas
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2010, 08:16 AM   #290
diyAudio Member
 
dvb projekt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Willich, Germany
Blog Entries: 38
Send a message via Skype™ to dvb projekt
Hi Lucas,

i had connected the X2 with a 5m cable to my iMac and had similar experiences
as you with a 2m cable.

I try to get an answer to this behavior from TeraDak. It would be interesting to know,
if the Windows user have also this problem.
__________________
Reference TDA1541A DAC project PCBīs / Tube-I-zator PCB / SSHV-Shunt PCB
Stock status in my Blog
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
i2s bus vs. i2c bus Doovieman Digital Source 9 5th February 2013 02:08 PM
My take to the "Reference" TDA1541A DAC with I2S-BUS architecture dvb projekt Digital Line Level 130 30th January 2011 01:54 PM
what is "ground bus"? gychang Parts 4 12th November 2007 09:21 PM
PCM2707 I2S out to TDA1541A DAC TV Man Digital Source 3 4th December 2004 05:53 PM
A real DAC Philips TDA1541A "Double Crown"? dbhh Digital Source 17 7th May 2004 05:15 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:18 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Đ1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2