"Reference" TDA1541A DAC with I2S-BUS architecture - Page 28 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
View Poll Results: Surface Finish for future PCBs
ENIG - Electroless Nickle/Immersion Gold 59 47.20%
Immersion Silver 36 28.80%
Immersion Tin 18 14.40%
OSP - Organic Solderability Preservatives 12 9.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14th November 2010, 09:12 PM   #271
Marra is offline Marra  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks Lucas; guess I'll stick with the 220's as used on Olivers pcb. I agree Salas knows what he's designing having built a DCB1 and been blown away by its performance.I just thought I'd use what I had to hand . I'll get some 220uf.
Old 15th November 2010, 12:55 AM   #272
diyAudio Member

Try Rubycon ZLH 220uF 35v

RUBYCON|35ZLH220M8X11.5|CAPACITOR, 220UF, 35V | Farnell United Kingdom

I haven't used them, but they have been highly recommended to me for this very application.
Old 15th November 2010, 08:30 AM   #273
diyAudio Member

I thought the latest and greatest was to leave out the polyprop caps at the output of the regs? (ref. BOM sheet in the beginning of this thread)
Old 15th November 2010, 09:40 AM   #274
diyAudio Member

I'm pretty sure it's application specific too. Indeed, for Oliver's boards, there is no polyprop at the output. Surely a polyprop at the output of the reg would remove DC, rendering the reg useless, no?
Old 15th November 2010, 10:08 AM   #275
diyAudio Member

a picture of your build (page 25?) shows that you do use 2 wimas in the regs though....
Old 15th November 2010, 11:07 AM   #276
diyAudio Member

It is not Wima, but another MKP - 1uF, on the CCS position, as per Salas instructions/suggestion, in the DCB1, not as you said at the output of the circuit (which would be truly wrong), and not in this DAC circuit either.

I have been a good boy with this DAC, done as I was told in the BOM, and used 220uF Nichicon Fine Gold They sound fine to me. I am not one for swapping quality components like this for other quality components unless there is a good reason - I would normally be more inclined to change values. There may be some advantage, however, to putting a much smaller value (like 1uF to 10uF) CCS (first) position film cap in place of the CCS 220uF electrolytic...just as Salas suggested with the DCB1, and you observed I have done.

The DAC is sounding very good (still only 1x DAC chip) - more photos soon when 2x DAC chips!
Old 15th November 2010, 12:46 PM   #277
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to morpheous
Hi Oliver,

an information for the separate +5V shunt reg. for the Teralink X2. Do you use another Power supply board for the +5v shunt. reg. ?

Regards
Francesco.
Old 15th November 2010, 04:06 PM   #278
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to dvb projekt
Quote:
Originally Posted by morpheous View Post
Hi Oliver,

an information for the separate +5V shunt reg. for the Teralink X2. Do you use another Power supply board for the +5v shunt. reg. ?

Regards
Francesco.
No.
The X2 +5V Reg. is connected additionally to the +15V line of the +/- PS-Module.
Old 15th November 2010, 04:31 PM   #279
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasAdamson View Post
It is not Wima, but another MKP - 1uF, on the CCS position, as per Salas instructions/suggestion, in the DCB1, not as you said at the output of the circuit (which would be truly wrong), and not in this DAC circuit either.

I have been a good boy with this DAC, done as I was told in the BOM, and used 220uF Nichicon Fine Gold They sound fine to me. I am not one for swapping quality components like this for other quality components unless there is a good reason - I would normally be more inclined to change values. There may be some advantage, however, to putting a much smaller value (like 1uF to 10uF) CCS (first) position film cap in place of the CCS 220uF electrolytic...just as Salas suggested with the DCB1, and you observed I have done.

The DAC is sounding very good (still only 1x DAC chip) - more photos soon when 2x DAC chips!
I see that clarifies. Should have better paid attention what I was looking at (DCB1, not DAC).

By the way, EC-designs has identified that his ultra-simple output stage is not optimal either. He is now using a bit more complex topology.
Old 16th November 2010, 06:37 AM   #280
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to dvb projekt
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiostevus View Post
By the way, EC-designs has identified that his ultra-simple output stage is not optimal either. He is now using a bit more complex topology.
That confirmed my sound experiences with his circuit from post #122

Hide this!Advertise here!