"Reference" TDA1541A DAC with I2S-BUS architecture - Page 25 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
View Poll Results: Surface Finish for future PCBs
ENIG - Electroless Nickle/Immersion Gold 59 47.20%
Immersion Silver 36 28.80%
Immersion Tin 18 14.40%
OSP - Organic Solderability Preservatives 12 9.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8th November 2010, 01:40 PM   #241
diyAudio Member

Hi Oliver, with new (actually old) USB cable, I get Teradak X2 in menu - selected! Tick.

I can get sound in my mac speakers - no problem, but switched to X2 - sound goes off and...

OK, so, I have my first sounds with single TDA board - takes two minutes after switch on to get anything, then....completely distorted - almost pure distortion to be honest, reducing in amplitude during musical passages - spaces between music are complete distortion, like a drone broken by (in this case) some operatic singing. Checked DC on my speakers (as I was worried) and get 18mV DC, so nothing to worry about there, but the sound is absolutely horrible.

Don't know why - soldering is neat on TDA, purchased components first class and correct values, voltages all perfect on shunts.

I need to check that the i2s is inputted correctly - the two frequencies are correct, but data signal...how do I check this please?

IS there anything else I should check on the i/v or the TDA or the X2

Many thanks
Lucas
Old 8th November 2010, 01:46 PM   #242
diyAudio Member

Ahhh...

Hmmm. I think I may have found a bit of a problem....I have 83v DC across my output capacitors on the i/v stage. Yikes - a bit of a problem that, to say the least. Switched off, obviously. What is going on with my tube-i-zator?

Pretty upset and frustrated right now.

Many thanks
Lucas

Last edited by LucasAdamson; 8th November 2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 8th November 2010, 02:04 PM   #243
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to dvb projekt
I dont think its the Tube-I-zator. The DC before the output caps is normal.

At the moment i am at work. If i am at home, i will check the I2S connection on my DAC.

I hope i dont tell you the wrong connections between the X2 and the DAC modules...
Old 8th November 2010, 03:01 PM   #244
diyAudio Member

Lucas,

please post some detailed photos from the pcbs.

Did you connect the GNDs like on my posting?
Old 8th November 2010, 04:15 PM   #245
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvb-projekt View Post
I hope i dont tell you the wrong connections between the X2 and the DAC modules...
The connections are correct. So i need some photos.
Perhaps you could come over to skype. On the chat we are much faster.
Old 8th November 2010, 05:17 PM   #246
diyAudio Member

BTW, did you perhaps tried the V2.2 without the bridge between the analog and digital GND?
Old 8th November 2010, 08:03 PM   #247
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvb-projekt View Post
BTW, did you perhaps tried the V2.2 without the bridge between the analog and digital GND?
There is a small wire connecting ANALOG GND & DIGITAL GND on both left and right sides of the Wago connectors, under the board on the v2.2

All components are in place and correct values. Both chips have the notch to the right.

I have tried both boards. The first one gave no output at all. This one (v2.3) now gives me this weird distortion, but it only comes on after about 2-3 minutes.
Old 8th November 2010, 10:23 PM   #248
diyAudio Member

I've worked it out, and it's pretty crazy. The single Salas shunt reg had dropped voltage down to 4.85v, and this being lower than the tl431 was causing MASSIVE distortion. Adjusting it up to 5v cured it all. I have taken it up to 5.5v to get right away from that problem, until I decide what to do long term. Listening to single TDA1541A DAC with 6n2P right now - Mmmmmm! Already lovely! Sublime in fact! Much improvement to come - thank you so much Oliver and Salas and Lukas Fikus Manly kisses and hugs all round Lucas
Old 8th November 2010, 10:30 PM   #249
Malka07 is offline Malka07  England
diyAudio Member

Hey glad you got that sorted out Lucas And its also positive that your pleased with the sound...cant wait to get mine up and running...what was you previously using as a dac or cd player?

Alon
Old 8th November 2010, 11:04 PM   #250
diyAudio Member

Hehe - for the past 6 weeks a HORRIBLE OP-AMPED SONY minidisc recorder. By hitting the record button, it can be used as a DAC. Very digital and unpleasant sounding. Before that a Beresford OS Burr Brown Dac. It was very good actually.

I am also hearing some imperfections in this newly built thing - am trying different values of i/v resistor, and it does make quite a difference. Also, the voltage problem has alerted me to there being issues with having two shunt regs in series on each line. I may try removing all TL431s and running both TDA boards in parallel from the Salas shunts. I have a hunch that it will be the best configuration, in spite of what Thorsten Leoch says (is that arrogant of me? I don't know, but I also know that the Salas regs can run 2 identical components in parallel without a problem, and that simplification is often best practice unless there's a really good reason to complicate things).

I can tell the quality is there and it's some little stuff to iron out. Sounds very alive - some tiny distortions - square waves, like distorted guitars sound especially square and distorted - unnatural to my ears. Lots of silkiness in the treble, dynamism in the drums, sound-stage, easiness, clarity. I've had better bass, to be honest. Never had better treble. Midrange is nice. But I can hear something I'm not happy with. Loads of dynamism and punch is great, but something is also grating somewhere and I'm trying to put my finger on it. I guess it is showing up flaws in my tracks - perhaps that's it. Yes, the more tracks I play, it seems that is what's happening. This thing is unforgiving, and incredibly detailed and dynamic and punchy yet silky and soft. Distorted edgey guitars seem more-so, and silky voices also seem silkier. Weird! Quite sublime also...

This is the first time I have ever heard a NOS dac, I should point out!!!

Last edited by LucasAdamson; 8th November 2010 at 11:13 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!