"Reference" TDA1541A DAC with I2S-BUS architecture - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
View Poll Results: Surface Finish for future PCBs
ENIG - Electroless Nickle/Immersion Gold 60 46.88%
Immersion Silver 36 28.13%
Immersion Tin 18 14.06%
OSP - Organic Solderability Preservatives 14 10.94%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2010, 12:09 PM   #111
diyAudio Member
 
LucasAdamson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Ok. All's clear. 5W 10R Silicon Dales, a la DCB1 Blue
__________________
Lucas
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2010, 01:35 PM   #112
diyAudio Member
 
dvb projekt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Willich, Germany
Blog Entries: 37
Send a message via Skype™ to dvb projekt
__________________
Reference TDA1541A DAC project PCBs / Tube-I-zator PCB / SSHV-Shunt PCB
Stock status in my Blog
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2010, 01:31 PM   #113
diyAudio Member
 
LucasAdamson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
For anybody that can't find the now defunct Os-Con Solid Polymer ultra-low ESR caps, I know I already gave a recommendation, but these are almost identical or better:

PLF1C271MDO1 Nichicon Aluminum Organic Polymer Capacitors

They are as close to Black Gates as is currently being manufactured I guess.
__________________
Lucas
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 02:25 PM   #114
diyAudio Member
 
LucasAdamson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Hi Oliver,

The boards arrived just now. Many thanks. They are b-e-a-utiful!

I think I have worked out where to connect the Salas shunt regs directly, omitting TL431As. Could you take a look at the attachment and see if I've made any boobs.

I am unsure how to connect TLA1541A pins 16, 17 (oscillator), as they were linked to the reference pin of the -15v TL431 shunt reg previously. Should they be left as open (unconnected) pins for my project, or what?

Also, what value resistors do you recommend for the Tube-I-zator if using with 6N2P tubes?
Many many thanks.

Lucas

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
__________________
Lucas
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 02:52 PM   #115
diyAudio Member
 
morpheous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cagliari
Send a message via Yahoo to morpheous
Hi Oliver,

I need some information about transistors IRFP240 and IRFP9240, this transistors need an isolator from transistors and heat sink's.
Let me know

Regards
Francesco.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 03:03 PM   #116
diyAudio Member
 
dvb projekt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Willich, Germany
Blog Entries: 37
Send a message via Skype™ to dvb projekt
Hi Lucas,

you made no boobs!

Go with the output of Salas shunts directly to the mid pin of the TL431A (anode) hole.

Please make no changes to the Pin 16 & 17 and let them connected to the 2K2 resistors.
These are connected to the anode of the 431A, not the ref.

For the Tube-I-zator with 6N2P please use 4x 200Rs for Rk and 56R for the I/V position with one TDA1541A.
Pay attention to the quality of the two R I/Vs! I would recommend the following resistors:

- PRP 9372
- Caddock MK132
- Texas Components TX2575 naked Z-Bulk foil (Vishay VAR)

If you use the optimum, it should look like here.

Best regards,
Oliver
__________________
Reference TDA1541A DAC project PCBs / Tube-I-zator PCB / SSHV-Shunt PCB
Stock status in my Blog
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 03:06 PM   #117
diyAudio Member
 
dvb projekt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Willich, Germany
Blog Entries: 37
Send a message via Skype™ to dvb projekt
Quote:
Originally Posted by morpheous View Post
Hi Oliver,

I need some information about transistors IRFP240 and IRFP9240, this transistors need an isolator from transistors and heat sink's.
Let me know

Regards
Francesco.
Hi Francesco,

you could mount them direct to the heat sink with a bit of thermal conductance paste.
The sinks are not connected to each other on the modules!
__________________
Reference TDA1541A DAC project PCBs / Tube-I-zator PCB / SSHV-Shunt PCB
Stock status in my Blog
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 08:29 PM   #118
diyAudio Member
 
LucasAdamson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvb-projekt View Post
Hi Lucas,

you made no boobs!
How did I manage that?

Quote:
Go with the output of Salas shunts directly to the mid pin of the TL431A (anode) hole.
I will wire to the terminals of the TL431A, but surely not to the centre pin in every case. I observe that the negative voltages are, logically, powered from the anode (centre pin), but the positive voltages are powered from the cathode (left pin), with GND going to the remaining electrode, and refs (right pin) are all left open in this case as the Salas has it's own references.

Am I wrong?

Quote:
Please make no changes to the Pin 16 & 17 and let them connected to the 2K2 resistors.
These are connected to the anode of the 431A, not the ref.
OK, so they are connected to the -15v through 2k2 resistors, and a complicated arrangement involving another ref resistor and two cap connections en-route. I will of course keep the 2x 2k2 resistors, and it will then connect to the -15v, but I was intending not to include any of the rest of that shunt reg circuitry, including the 4x Os-cons etc. Is that right?

Quote:
For the Tube-I-zator with 6N2P please use 4x 200Rs for Rk and 56R for the I/V position with one TDA1541A.
Pay attention to the quality of the two R I/Vs! I would recommend the following resistors:

- PRP 9372
- Caddock MK132
- Texas Components TX2575 naked Z-Bulk foil (Vishay VAR)
Great! Thanks for that. Have you tried 6N2P? Lukas Fikus seems to be very keen on it.

I will be using PRP 1/4, 1/2 & 1 watt throughout, in every position, and Panasonic metal film 1% 5watt for all of the larger resistors, instead of Kiwame, as I know and trust them a lot.

I would buy the Texas Components resistors for critical positions if they were about 1/4 of the price. It will be PRP in critical positions in my DAC - I think they're really good, and also cheap!

Quote:
If you use the optimum, it should look like here.
I am going to go with Auricap 2.2uF output caps as in the BOM, as Parts Express has them at half price at the moment. Did you try them already? Are they really awful, or are you just itchy to change caps a lot?

All the best
Lucas
__________________
Lucas
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 05:41 AM   #119
diyAudio Member
 
dvb projekt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Willich, Germany
Blog Entries: 37
Send a message via Skype™ to dvb projekt
Quote:
I will wire to the terminals of the TL431A, but surely not to the centre pin in every case. I observe that the negative voltages are, logically, powered from the anode (centre pin), but the positive voltages are powered from the cathode (left pin), with GND going to the remaining electrode, and refs (right pin) are all left open in this case as the Salas has it's own references.

Am I wrong?
Absolute correct!

Quote:
OK, so they are connected to the -15v through 2k2 resistors, and a complicated arrangement involving another ref resistor and two cap connections en-route. I will of course keep the 2x 2k2 resistors, and it will then connect to the -15v, but I was intending not to include any of the rest of that shunt reg circuitry, including the 4x Os-cons etc. Is that right?
For that what you would like to do, cancel all parts in the orange field excluding the two 2K2 resistors.

Click the image to open in full size.
Quote:
Great!

Thanks for that. Have you tried 6N2P? Lukas Fikus seems to be very keen on it.

I will be using PRP 1/4, 1/2 & 1 watt throughout, in every position, and Panasonic metal film 1% 5watt for all of the larger resistors, instead of Kiwame, as I know and trust them a lot.

I would buy the Texas Components resistors for critical positions if they were about 1/4 of the price. It will be PRP in critical positions in my DAC - I think they're really good, and also cheap!
The 6N2P are wonderful!! Please try to get the "-ER" version of them. Thats the hi-durable - long life version of it and sounds much better than the normal ones.

The PRPs are absolute ok but for $4.50 each i would use the MK-132 in the I/V position.

Quote:
I am going to go with Auricap 2.2uF output caps as in the BOM, as Parts Express has them at half price at the moment. Did you try them already? Are they really awful, or are you just itchy to change caps a lot?
The Auricaps are neutral sounding caps and good for their price.
Surely there are better sounding caps on the planet, but how much would you like to spend for them?
Its up to you. At the moment i am using a pair of russian 1,5F K75-10 hybrid bypassed by russian 0,047F K-72P-6 teflon caps.
This combination is sounding so good, that i dont think i change again.

__________________
Reference TDA1541A DAC project PCBs / Tube-I-zator PCB / SSHV-Shunt PCB
Stock status in my Blog
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 08:48 AM   #120
diyAudio Member
 
LucasAdamson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
All great answers. Many thanks. I already bought the EV version of the tubes. How did you discover the difference between them? Did Lukas Fikus state a preference, or is this from listening tests or what?

For resistors, I will start with PRPs throughout as I think they are much better than their price suggests. I'm not a big fan of the MK132, although I have some in my power amp. Anyway, PRPs are in the signal path of my whole pre-amp, so it makes sense.

I have always had the philosophy not to bother with really pricey boutique parts. If it's more than twice the price of a high quality standard part, it had better offer something pretty miraculous, but that is almost never possible - that last 1% of perfection is pretty hard to hear, and very subjective - I prefer to focus on the 99% of the sound that is made up of the design and component values, like trying different value decoupling caps for the 1541 or trying new tubes, like you said earlier. Lukas Fikus seems to have noticed the biggest differences from these kind of changes, in his extensive experience with this circuit.

That said, I'll go with the Auricap.

Thanks for all the support Oliver. You are a scholar and a gentleman, as we say in England (or used to a long time ago.)

__________________
Lucas
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
i2s bus vs. i2c bus Doovieman Digital Source 9 5th February 2013 02:08 PM
My take to the "Reference" TDA1541A DAC with I2S-BUS architecture dvb projekt Digital Line Level 130 30th January 2011 01:54 PM
what is "ground bus"? gychang Parts 4 12th November 2007 09:21 PM
PCM2707 I2S out to TDA1541A DAC TV Man Digital Source 3 4th December 2004 05:53 PM
A real DAC Philips TDA1541A "Double Crown"? dbhh Digital Source 17 7th May 2004 05:15 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:23 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2