• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Waveguides and horns

Cellulose, carbon and alu domes, different size and 44.5mm coil. Time to make same moving coil diaphragms ;-)

Optimum dome height ~8mm@44.5mm diameter for OS means HF roll-off frequency, also mismatch between phase plug curvature and diaphragms forms different roll-off e.g. differences between 18sound diaphragms and STX.

Attachments

• IMG_4317.jpg
    IMG_4317.jpg
    514.1 KB · Views: 1,028
Last edited:
Thanks to all the DIY guys behind the actual design itself.......

Thanks to forum member jzagaja and Autotech for helping with the prototypes and getting the fiberglass models produced. And then I decided 'to go for broke' to get one made that anyone can afford.

The mass production SEOS™-12 is finally ready for pre-orders!

Plastic SEOS-12 Pre-Order DIY Sound Group

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
I've been using the JBL 2446h CDs with aftermarket aluminum diaphragms (Radian I believe) with very good results. However I do look forward to trying the Truextent diaphragms in the near future.

HT_PIC_03.jpg
Nice set up you have there. Can you give some specifics on the drivers in the VOT boxes and the crossover? Are you using the original Iwatas that does not have metal reinforment in the driver flange area? I am wondering about long term stability of the horn hanging off the drivers like you have. Do you think they will hold up over time and not develope fractures in the stressed areas?
Thanks,
David

PS I'm still wondering about Altec drivers used in Iwatas. Anybody have any experiences with this combo?

Nice set up you have there. Can you give some specifics on the drivers in the VOT boxes and the crossover? Are you using the original Iwatas that does not have metal reinforment in the driver flange area? I am wondering about long term stability of the horn hanging off the drivers like you have. Do you think they will hold up over time and not develope fractures in the stressed areas?
Thanks,
David

PS I'm still wondering about Altec drivers used in Iwatas. Anybody have any experiences with this combo?

Hello David,

Those are the original IWATAs that did not have the metal reinforcement ring. They were weak. In fact one of mine broke. The waveguide pulled completely free of the MDF mounting ring. When I made the repair I added fiberglass to build up the transition from MDF flange to waveguide. The fix worked and I don't think there is much of a chance that they will come apart again.

The driver in the VOTT box is a GPA 416C. GPA makes a very nice product. Their 416C driver in a stock Altec 828 cabinet is usable (with boost) to 40Hz. The crossover is active and is set at 650Hz / 18dB per octave. I use Dirac Live running in a Datasat RS20i Processor to smooth the response. Bass Management extends the bottom end to 20Hz. I'm very happy with the results.

4590 - 1uF on HF unit out of phase, no crossover on rest. Hard to tell subjevtive difference as i have only one Radian, BMS has more sparkle. Radian look is awesome and it's light.
Cheers for that info. Not the way I'd use the 4590 myself: I much preferred a a steep active xover at 6k5. Notwithstanding my preferences, most people would have something more there than what you have, so not too much should be made of the comparison between it and the radian, based on that.