• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Waveguides and horns

First comparison - 12" OS waveguide without baffle, original driver and membrane with strong breakup (titanium), "faulty" Fresnel phase plug with low compression. Simulation - ideal flat diaphragm and wavefront.

Attachments

• PHASE_PLUG_1.png
    PHASE_PLUG_1.png
    169 KB · Views: 700
  • 4154_oswg_norm.gif
    4154_oswg_norm.gif
    20.7 KB · Views: 687
Last edited:
Jacik

I fear that you might be missing something critical in this analysis. You will not see any effect of the phase plug until you have a waveguide that shows little to no internal reflections and diffraction. In other words, the phase plug is not a limiting factor until the waveguide approaches almost ideal characteristics. The waveguide used here is not very "clean" and it will obscure what you are looking for.

I think that I have made this point on several occasions in the past.

Some complain that it's little shy of detail and high freq. extension. It would be great if your design would help in those areas.

Look at the measurement I have taken of my DE250 combined with an OS12 waveguide + foam plug from Geddes.
I does not lack any high frequency extension. I think people often mistake high frequency resonances for "detail", and if they here a system without, they say it lacks "detail"...
The measurement is taken with a 10ohm resistor in parallel with a 1µF capacitor to correct the roll off from the waveguide. No other equalizing is applied in this measurement.
For listening, I use a DCX2496 to correct the bumps at 2.2kHz,4.4kHz and 16kHz, the roll off correction is done passively with the 10ohm/1µF to avoid big boosts in the DCX.
Off coarse the correction of the bumps could also be done passively with 3 notch filters, but since I have an active system, it was easier in the DCX...
Overall I think this combination sound very good, but I am also interested in the phase plug to see what the effect is.

Attachments

• unequalised.png
    unequalised.png
    129.9 KB · Views: 792