• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Waveguides and horns

If I end up just using a regular 2" CD on the IWATA-300 what is a good solution for adding a horn for >= 8KHz It seems like its going to be pretty hard to [find] a nice seamless design.

Pardon the heresy, but maybe for >8khz it doesn't have to be a traditional horn to work well in this application?
https://www.madisound.com/store/index.php?cPath=45_229_236

102db/2.83v/1m ain't bad:
https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=45_229_236&products_id=1557

I just started goofing with RAAL ribbons crossing over at ~9Khz, 3rd order (= 4th with transformer), and I think the dispersion works with waveguides. YMMV.

EDIT: I submitted this before seeing jzagaja's response. Kinda redundant now, but kinda not...

Don't never, ever blend horns with direct radiators without loading! Unless in the low region.
I have heard so many midrange horns with ribbons that just preach "look, I'm trying all I can to keep up".
If you have the doe, try a couple of Fostex
https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=293
Maybe ruin your bank-account - but they are way better than the TAD 7's and blend in much, much better.
And any old JBL or whatever ring- og slit-radiator will give the "air" that's needed!

Last edited:
Guys, I got the pallet in from Poland and everything looks great. It's all been unpacked and I'll start wrapping the items up this weekend for shipping.

Waveguide and Horn Delivery (Photos) - AVS Forum

I love that IWATA-300 ;)

I do wish I ordered gloss black now, I will try to paint them :(

I have the BMS 4590 on order now so I hope its a good match to the IWATA-300.

Thanks Eric and Jack for all the work so far. This is going to be exciting, my horn/CD alone is more expensive them my last 3 pairs of speakers. Im trying to tone down my expectations.

For wide bandwidth single horn application Iwata and Ejmlc (check website for new models) are recommended because for example JMLC-200 power response expose midrange and in weakly furnished room for some can sound like a megaphone.

Yesterday I was examining Harwood AMT 30 and Seas RNX in small 20 litres box. Very good tweeter (clean CSD) but directivity suffers and has less vivid tonality, power than let say 4524 in OS. I can describe it as typical dry, smooth sound - better than typical ribbon with exaggerated highs.

Last edited:
Autotech at High-End Munich 2011.

Attachments

• IMG_6054_male.jpg
    IMG_6054_male.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 645
  • IMG_6058.jpg
    IMG_6058.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 636
I might have asked this already (sorry if I have) but do you have a link to your build/speakers. I would love to read the details behind them.

It's not that much to tell. I just put them on top of my Oris bass bins and use computer based software for eq and XO(300Hz I think). The plan is to build a new bass sytem for the Iwatas, but I'm not sure which direction to take. A have a pair of TD15M lying around, so maybe I'll use them.

Frode

P1010580.jpg

Best sound ever according to Autotech team - after trades in a private studio in Munich - modified Avantgarde Duo: cables, capacitors. It seems room acoustic plays key role - Universe and Mummy sounded good as well there. La Grande Castine - unsure about imaging.

Attachments

• IMG_6143.JPG
    IMG_6143.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 608
  • IMG_6149.JPG
    IMG_6149.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 610
  • IMG_6095.JPG
    IMG_6095.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_6162.JPG
    IMG_6162.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_6158.JPG
    IMG_6158.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 276
Earl - we are trying verify Hornresp simulation and its numerical model may not be suitable for this kind of arrangement i.e. short midrange horn JMLC200 plus woofer in closed box 75-150 litres or open baffle. Horn subwoofers produce active sound field different than of reactive from closed/ported/open boxes. As for the directivity control it is used above 200Hz so not related with above experiment.