• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Waveguides and horns

I have some P-Audio 2" compression drivers I was going to try. They have smooth/extended HF response, however, I'm not sure how low they will play comfortably. With no 2" horns currently in the inventory, I haven't been able to play around with them much.

I'd probably be tempted by some JBL 244* series drivers with beryllium diaphragms as I've heard those a few times on horns with similar low frequency capabilities.

All my searches for JBL 244* series stuff has them priced > $300. Even on Ebay they are not cheap :( P.audio seems reasonable on US Speaker but how will the sound compared to maybe B&C or BMS??

Im going to search the muti-way speaker forum. I think I remember a build with the Radian 760PBs.

Last edited:
If I had to guess, they are probably just outside of the league of B&C and BMS but I don't have much experience with large format compression drivers. What thing that seems consistent is that there arent a lot of cheap options. It seems that if you want inexpensive, you'll sacrifice either top or bottom end to get there.

Yes, I just was on USSpeaker looking at that choice (well the 750 model before that one). Nice price on loudspeaker plus!!

I have zero experience with 2" CDs too. I have many, many 1" choices. Found some links to used JBL 244* 2" offerings but they are stil > $300.

Definitely the costs are up there on all of them, Im far from a believer in price equals performance too. I do like BMS (I use the 4550), Im just curious to how the P-audio brand will sound. My Radians sound different then my BMS and my Celestion sound different then both of those.

Last edited:

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I have a JBL 2445 2in driver. Got it from Jammin Jersey. I would advise you to look elsewhere and not buy from the Jammin Jersey guys. I had a terrible experience with them. The drivers had large chunks of metal stuck near the diaphram and it was distorting pretty badly. When I told them, they asked me to send it back with more money for repair and shipping. Ridiculous. I finally got them fixed from a local guy but had to spend more.

Jammin Jersey not recommended.

Hi,

I'm interested in ordering the 12" OSWG through the Group Buy. I'm also interested in the SEOS waveguides but waiting for the tests.

My listening room is 16' wide and about 30'deep with a 7'-8" ceiling. I'm thinking that maybe the Ellipse Oblate Spherical waveguide might mitigate the influence of the low ceiling whereas the Oblate Spheroid would cause more reflections. Any advice on the pros and cons of both designs in relation to my room would be appreciated.:)

-Roy

Hi,

I'm interested in ordering the 12" OSWG through the Group Buy. I'm also interested in the SEOS waveguides but waiting for the tests.

My listening room is 16' wide and about 30'deep with a 7'-8" ceiling. I'm thinking that maybe the Ellipse Oblate Spherical waveguide might mitigate the influence of the low ceiling whereas the Oblate Spheroid would cause more reflections. Any advice on the pros and cons of both designs in relation to my room would be appreciated.:)

-Roy

What about the E-JMLC-1000?

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/images/large/EJMLC-1000_size.jpg